Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WeiryWriter

On the Self-Awarenes of Shades

11 posts in this topic

So last month for my birthday I ordered two signed books and they just recently arrived.

tumblr_ob6z8k9UDA1sfbh10o1_1280.jpg

Question: To what extent do the Shades of Threnody remember their lives? Silence’s grandmother appears to recognize her but on the whole Shades don’t really act like people. Kelsier however, the other main example of a Cognitive shadow, seems little altered from his living state.

Answer: Shades of Threnody are not as self-aware as other shadows.

Huh. I suspect that Threnody Shades are fundamentally different from the usual Cognitive Shadows (I'm not implying that they're not Cognitive Shadows - just a different kind).

BTW, what is this "Con Exclusive"? I can't find anything on it.

43 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

BTW, what is this "Con Exclusive"? I can't find anything on it.

Here you go.

Probably the "turning to a Shade" doesn't stop as the Shade's spawn... The turning have yet to be finalized and replaces the previous awares

As far as we know minor cosmere worlds get there power from shardpools. Proof of this is in sixth of dusk wherw the parisitites are in patji's eye. 

However shades create other shades, so even if the power origonally came from a shard pool, it has been diluted through generations of shades. That might be why the Threnody shades are less aware. 

The shades seem to be primarily driven by rage. My guess is that the Cognitive Shadows of Threnody have been influenced by a Shard... Odium?

On August 27, 2016 at 3:14 AM, Rob Lucci said:

The shades seem to be primarily driven by rage. My guess is that the Cognitive Shadows of Threnody have been influenced by a Shard... Odium?

Its possible but isn't odium's goal to become the strongest being. Why whould he visit a shardless planet

31 minutes ago, Patricksinger said:

Its possible but isn't odium's goal to become the strongest being. Why whould he visit a shardless planet

Maybe before there was a Shard on Threnody...or was relevant for other reasons

Posted (edited)

AU spoilers 

Spoiler

So, ambition was here, maybe the Shades are a broken version of what used to be there. Maybe Ambition made sentient ghosts, or something.

Edited by Figberts

Well, on Sel Odium killed 2 shards, and as an effect its difficult to use shadesmar.

On Threnody Ambition got whacked(even if he managed to get away to have his final end elsewhere), could there be a block of some sort?

(very)Loosely simular to the Hoed in Elantris, the shades could perhaps be cognitive shadows that dont quite get all the way into the other realm causing a bunch of different roblems, including being partly cut off from their self.  And ofcourse, also causing them to be visible(and leathal) in the physical.