How to balance writing and being a college/university student?

Is there anyone here who is a college or university student and also is writing? 

Because I have just started as a student, and I would like to know any suggestions on how should I plan my day. 

for example, are you writing in the morning (just before the class starts?) or at evening (after classes and after you finished the assigned homework?) 

I would be happy to get a few suggestion from experienced students.

I am not a student (in the strictest sense!), but juggling work and home life is a similar challenge... and I certainly had my share of split commitments when I was in school.

The first thing you need to think about is what suits your own writing style. For me, I need a block of time to get the juices flowing... at least an hour (two is better). I also do my best work in the evenings, not the mornings. You will need to identify the habits and timings that will actually allow you to get words down on the page.

Once you have that, I would suggest you block out some time during the week... say, every Monday and Wednesday from 8pm-10pm.  Think of it like a class of its own, or a work commitment, or something like that. No matter what else comes up, you'll put things aside during those times and focus on writing.

Finding time to write is really just a motivation challenge. If you are driven enough, you'll make it work. Same as going to the gym, or finding time to play the guitar, or whatever. Structure helps when you are moving into a new environment, but then you'll find your own flow.

Best of luck to you!

• 1 month later...

I wish I had been interested in writing when I was in University.  I have never had so much free time in all my life as when I was studying.  These days, I have to choose between sleep or writing.  

Looking back, I can only imagine waking up and writing a couple of pages first thing in the morning.  Even if they were crap, they would give you a great feeling for for the rest of the day.  The effort may also give you time to think about your scene and help you hone it later in the day if you have a few minutes.  

• 2 weeks later...

I know people find this strange. Alberta High Schools are intenste and my life was more busy then.  In high school I had honours classes, I had soccer pratices five days a week and I fit a part time job  working fifteen hours a week in there too.  Then in University everything changed.  I worked a job where I put in twenty hours over sat/sun every other weekend, but that left me time between classes and every evening do whatever I wanted. Truthfully  I spent most of that time with finding cheap buffets, going out with friends and way too many hours staring at the guppies in my fish tank.

• 2 months later...

I combine my writing and studying working as a freelance writer. The feeling when you write and get paid for the work you are doing is great. Job should bring satisfaction from what you do and know that your works are estimated on appropriate level. If you are interested I leave writing services reviews for your attention, you can send your application and get a job as a writer.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think allowing yourself to find what works best for your class schedule, and recognizing that you might not be as productive until you figure it out, is key. I will be attending college in the Fall, but spent two years as a dual-enrollment student at a local college. While I was not always able to get as much writing time as I would have liked, I tried to dedicate certain times each day that I could get some writing done at least. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2017-01-20 at 1:04 AM, Robinski said:

Hmm, this seems to be a whole new level of undermining the value of an Arts degree.

I started university at 17. Over half a lifetime ago.  I can't say I had all my priorites aligned properly back then.  I did enough to maintain a ensure I could get into my program (3.4 GPA) ' and didn't much care about doing more than that.  I've also learned and changed a lot sincce then. 

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think there is a balance... I write mostly poems and there is no way for me to pick up the pen (yes, I use pen and paper) and "let's see what my heart and brain will tell me to write.." 

You just need to find out what time of the day suits you... 

I once read about a writer who used to wake up at 5, went fishing for an hour or two, came back for a shower and breakfast, and then started writing till noon. I tried to do something similar on a free day; but didnt work out. 

But what worked out is that I did my daily job (teaching) during the day; prepared dinner in the evening; stared at the wall for a period of time (10-20 mins) doing nothing, just to clear my mind. Then that emptiness gave me the inspiration I needed in the "late evening" and "into the night..." I generally wake up early so I didn't keep writing or producing things until it was dawn time but it worked out quite fine for a while..

Finally, it is just up to you and your schedule to find out what is the best routine for you. Hope you get productive .

D.

PS: Just remembered... I used to set a daily word limit for each day. I wouldn't stop writing until I reach the limit... say a thousand words per day... Setting a limit is always productive in my opinion. 

Edited by Mierinx
added PS

• 2 weeks later...