Pokemon Go!

Vyree

On 7/21/2016 at 7:45 AM, Mestiv said:

Not when there is this big power difference :/ I tried fighting water type with grass type. Managed to get it to 80% health before my Pokémon fainted. Also, my strongest pokemon is just flying type and most gyms have water or normal type pokemons on them, so that doesn't help that much. 

FYI, dodging is really important. Not necessarily dodging regular attacks, but if you dodge their special attacks, it makes a pretty big difference. Whenever you see "So-and-so used <move>!" you should begin swiping like a madman. I've taken down a number of gyms with pokemon far below the level of the defending pokemon. That said, CP really stops mattering to an extent after about 600~700 or so. if you're under 500 you will probably have issues taking things down, but once you get to around 700~ish it's pretty easy to take out just about anything. I took out several gyms with things around 1100~1700 with just a few 700's.

As far as typing and stuff goes, the typings actually don't matter as much as they do in normal pokemon games. Type advantage = 1.25x damage, and disadvantage = .8x damage. This is a far cry from the original double/quadruple or half/quarter in normal pokemon games. It's actually entirely possible to deal more damage not-very-effective move than a super effective move with certain pokemon/attacks because their attack attack speed and such can make up for it. Mud slap and water gun are two examples of good moves that attack particularly fast and can fairly often be preferable to a super-effective move.

also: team yellow for the win!

Everything about Pokemon Go seems to happen differently around my area. Pokestops take 5 minutes to reset, you can catch pokemon while driving without having to pull-over, as long as it's on the screen I can somehow catch them.

On another hand, I went on a massive 30 minute spree today! Someone set up two lure modules around my area and I went out, activated incense as well as a Lucky Egg. Within that time I caught 32 Pokemon as well as....somehow a 600 CP...Oddish.

I often ride around on my bike, slower than a car but waaay faster than walking. 

I evolved my Magikarp yesterday, but most people over here have. It's brimming with Magikarp and other waterpokemon, really. What kind do you guys encounter most?  

8 hours ago, Kaymyth said:

Around here?  Ratatta, Pidgey, and Weedles are common in my neighborhood.  Eevees slightly less so. 

Sama here, Ratattas and Pidgeys are so common, you can get one every 200 meters. I also encouner a lot of Spearows.

I caught a 400+CP Kenghaskan today!! 

And there was an aerodactyl on my tracker but I didn't actually run into it. 

Edit: I now I'm a gym leader yasssss!! 

Today was an awful day for everything except Pokemon. Thank G-D for Pokemon. 

Edited by Delightful

I didn't really intend to play Pokemon Go, even after I downloaded it (I was just curious how the AR part worked), but…I'm kinda hooked.  For those that don't know, I have a massive headache that's gone 2.5+ years strong, fibromyalgia, fatigue, and a whole host of other issues, and frankly, I spend most of my days laying on the couch.

Yesterday, after a night of insomnia, I got out of the house at 7AM and went for a ~2 mile walk.  Today, at 2PM, I did the same thing in 94 degree weather (actually felt a lot cooler than I expected, because of a storm rolling in and a cool breeze with it).

That's 4 miles, maybe closer to 5, in two days, when I doubt I walk a tenth of a mile in an average day.

My Pokemon names, once I got clever (spoilered for length):

Spoiler

Pidgeot: Woody

Eevee: Sparky (so he'll evolve into Jolteon)

Cubone: Morbid

Ratikate: Biter

Poliwag: Mesmer

Venonat: Bugeye

Charmander: Flamey

Tentacool: Ackbar :D

Staryu: Starry

Paras: Snips (like Ahsoka)

Oddish: Turnip

Zubat: Draco ^_^

Bellsprout: Opium

Caterpie: Aomushi (Japanese for caterpillar, and from the book はらぺこ あうむし, which is the Japanese translation of "The Very Hungry Caterpillar")

Nidoran: Purple Rhino

Bulbasaur: Tarzan

Vulpix: Foxy

jW

Edited by Jondesu

On 2016-07-24 at 10:33 AM, Darkness Ascendant said:

Everything about Pokemon Go seems to happen differently around my area. Pokestops take 5 minutes to reset, you can catch pokemon while driving without having to pull-over, as long as it's on the screen I can somehow catch them.

This is how it works for everyone, so it's not differently for you. What people mean when they say you can't play in a car is that eggs won't hatch over a certain speed. (But of course, NEVER play while actually driving)