Favourite Stormlight Archive qoute

"Expectation wasn't just about what people expected of you.  It was about what you expected of yourself."
- Words of Radiance Chapter 15: A Hand with the Tower, page 263 paperback edition, Shallan's POV when she used Lightweaving on the slavers the first time. 

Edited by Xaklys

"I'm not some glorious knight of ancient days. I'm a broken man. Do you hear me, Syl? I'm broken." She zipped up to him and whispered, "That's what they all were, silly"

And I totally agree with:

3 hours ago, Treamayne said:

YOUR WILL MATTERS NOT! Syl shouted. YOU CANNOT HOLD ME BACK IF HE SPEAKS THE WORDS!

-Syl, to Stormfather, WoR Ch 84

Gives me goosebumps :)

Edited by Sishal

On the less-obvious humor side, this one tickles me. Not so much a quote of characters speaking in-story. Just a good quote from the story (during the Full Disadvantage Duel)

You could not kill the wind. You could not stop it. It was beyond the touch of men. It was infinite. . . .
His Stormlight ran out.

I started to love this series in a certain book seller in Karbranths Shop.

“Brightness...I believe you stray into sarcasm."

"Funny. I thought I'd run straight into it, screaming at the top of my lungs.”
Brandon Sanderson, The Way of Kings

Edited by Lord Tavash Shar

“You did, and you died. Your bond to your Blade severed, all ties—both spiritual and physical—undone. You are reborn. Come along. It is time to visit your people. Your training begins immediately.”

and of course 

Hello, a cheerful voice said in his mind. Would you like to destroy some evil today?

Other than the really good quotes other people have posted, I like a couple regarding Odium.

Vex Odium, convince him that he can lose, and appoint a champion.  He will take that chance instead of risking defeat again, as he has suffered so often.

- Words of Radiance, Chapter 4

This one is interesting because I strongly think this is Sanderson's hint on how SA is going to end. Also, the line that Odium has suffered defeat is... intriguing. Gives me the thought that the Desolations might've meant more to Odium than it seems, and that he hasn't won yet.

He bears the weight of God's own divine hatred, separated from the virtues that gave it context.

- Words of Radiance, Chapter 71 Epigraph

Just something interesting about Rayse, once I realized the Cosmere implications. The line itself feels to me to have a heavy impact. 

Edited by Spoolofwhool

19 hours ago, Spoolofwhool said:

Just something interesting about Rayse, once I realized the Cosmere implications. The line itself feels to me to have a heavy impact. 

I was looking at the epigraphs the other day and they talked about how Rayse wasn't always like he is now.  Odium is the Shard of Adonalsium's divine hatred, this epigraph is probably referring to Taln's suffering for the past four and a half millennia. 

37 minutes ago, Xaklys said:

I was looking at the epigraphs the other day and they talked about how Rayse wasn't always like he is now.  Odium is the Shard of Adonalsium's divine hatred, this epigraph is probably referring to Taln's suffering for the past four and a half millennia. 

Really? I've always interpreted it as Rayse being under the weight of Odium, the divine hatred without other intents. Which has always been an interesting thought because the first letter implied that he accepted the intent of Odium without resistance, while the second implies the opposite.

5 hours ago, Spoolofwhool said:

Really? I've always interpreted it as Rayse being under the weight of Odium, the divine hatred without other intents. Which has always been an interesting thought because the first letter implied that he accepted the intent of Odium without resistance, while the second implies the opposite.

You could very well be right, we can only wait and see.  I never thought of it that way but I kind of answered my own question by saying that Rayse is different than how he began.  I'm just kind of on the Taln train, as you've probably seen in other posts.  I can't wait to see where his plot goes.

10 hours ago, Xaklys said:

9 hours ago, Spoolofwhool said:

I always treated this one as being about Rayse as well, but what if it's both?  Prophecies in the Bible often are considered to have meaning in two or more ways (sometimes about multiple people, often about the immediate time, as well as a future time, and sometimes a third meaning that isn't constrained by time).  Brandon could have taken inspiration from there, and designed this passage to be a message about both Taln and Rayse.

The only thing I don't know is that since this is from one of the Letters (right?), if the author of that letter truly knows what's going on with Taln.  They seem more familiar with Rayse and the Shards overall.

4 hours ago, Jondesu said:

I always treated this one as being about Rayse as well, but what if it's both?  Prophecies in the Bible often are considered to have meaning in two or more ways (sometimes about multiple people, often about the immediate time, as well as a future time, and sometimes a third meaning that isn't constrained by time).  Brandon could have taken inspiration from there, and designed this passage to be a message about both Taln and Rayse.

The only thing I don't know is that since this is from one of the Letters (right?), if the author of that letter truly knows what's going on with Taln.  They seem more familiar with Rayse and the Shards overall.

You're right about prophecies. However, this line isn't a prophecy, but rather a line which is fairly clearly describing Rayse in the second letter. I don't see why it would be expanded to vaguely describe someone exterior. 

2 hours ago, sirchesh said:

I'm pure. I'm a child and stuff. I'm so storming pure I practically belch rainbows.

-Lift.

damnation, I was going for it ^^.

So, my other favorite quote:

“Kaladin frowned. “Wait. Are you wearing cologne? In prison?”
“Well, there was no need to be barbaric, just because I was incarcerated.”
“Storms, you’re spoiled,” Kaladin said, smiling.
“I’m refined, you insolent farmer,” Adolin said. Then he grinned. “Besides, I’ll have you know that I had to use cold water for my baths while here.”
“Poor boy.” 
 Brandon Sanderson, Words of Radiance

And also:

"Dalinar!" a voice called. 
He turned to find the utterly incongruous sight of Sebarial and his mistress sitting beneath a canopy, eating dried sellafruit off a plate held by an awkward-looking soldier. 
Sebarial raised a cup of wine toward Dalinar. "Hope you don’t mind," Sebarial said. "We liberated your stores. They were blowing past at the time, headed for certain doom." 
Dalinar stared at them. Palona even had a novel out and was reading.

I remember laughting very hard imagining the sequence xD.

“You sent him to the sky to die, assassin,” Kaladin said, Stormlight puffing from his lips, “but the sky and the winds are mine. I claim them, as I now claim your life.”

I love this one because it's so incongruous with the previous Kaladin. This is the ultimate knight killing. It's awesome.

So many good quotes on this topic already.  Two others that I absolutely loved:

His drained, worn-out body barely had any strength left.  In that moment of crystallized time, he looked down on his enemies.  Parshendi with their marbled red and black skin.  Soldiers raising finely crafted weapons, as if to cut him from the sky.  Strangers, oddities in carapace breastplates and skullcaps.  Many of them wearing beards.

Beards woven with glowing gemstones.

Kaladin breathed in.

I read this on a plane and my significant other busted me tearing up afterwards.  I told her to leave me alone to have my moment.  That was before she started reading Sanderson.  Now she gets it.

And a Shallan/Dalinar gem:

Then she breathed back out, sending a cloud of shimmering Stormlight into the air between herself and Dalinar.  She formed it into a small image of Jasnah, the one she'd just drawn, on top of her palm.

"Almighty above," Dalinar whispered.  A single awespren, like a ring of blue smoke, burst out above him, spreading like the ripple from a stone dropped in a pond.  Shallan had seen such a spren only a handful of times in her life.

I really like the second one because I think it's a perfect way to show the significance of that moment.  Dalinar, a person who has been through so much and seen most of what the world has to offer, gets his mind blown by something tiny to the point where it produces an extremely rare spren.  All paired with the moment of confidence shown by Shallan to finally let herself be known to the world.  Very cool stuff.

Just thought of two more, both happen in the same sequence. When Syl comes back to Kaladin.

"Your will matters not!"

I don't think I've ever read a line in a book that gave me such a surge of emotion. Was soooooo awesome, I was practically shouting when I read it.

The second one.

"The Knights Radiant have returned." 

This one for obvious reasons. 

• 9 months later...

"So many will die."

"And we will save the ones we can," Dalinar said. He turned to her. "Life before death, Radiant. It is the task to which we are now sworn."

She pursed her lips, still looking eastward, but nodded.

"Life before death, Radiant."

This ones from the end of WoR. I like it because this is the only Shallan  we have from after the thing with her room. I just love Dalinar's ability to say so much with so little.