Kenton mentions the ten fools

chsy83

47 minutes ago, chsy83 said:

Oh, ok.  Still could have common source …

With so little information it could be, or it could have nothing to do with it at all. All I was adding was the number from my recollection. But I could be confusing it with the prose version. I am not sure. 

30 minutes ago, chsy83 said:

Are there 16 fools on scadrial?:)

Nope, but there are/were 16 metals. There are five scholars on Nalthis. Some people have theorized that the scholars end up being some of the heralds, but I believe there is a WoB that disproves that. 

Edited by Pathfinder

2 hours ago, SAMWAF said:

Was a hundred fools. I think 100 might be the "mystical number" on Taldain, as there are 100 minutes to an hour.

I would guess that the number is actually "1" and 100 is just an extrapolation (the 'mystical numbers' are likely 1-16). 1 certainly falls in line with Autonomy, as being autonomous can mean acting alone.

Edited by Iron Eyes
Grammar is important.

6 minutes ago, Iron Eyes said:

I would guess that the number is actually "1" and 100 is just an extrapolation (the 'mystical numbers' are likely 1-16). 1 certainly falls in line with Autonomy, as being autonomous can mean acting alone.

Spoiler

He is referring to decimal time. That is how daysiders tell time. Since it also refers to a "curse" he was wondering if it could mean more. You can have a group of a myriad number of people still act autonomously from an organization. Autonomous does not automatically mean one. I was hesitant to expand on this, because this was explained in the prose, but I could not recall if it was mentioned in the graphic novel. Hence the spoilers. 

25 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:
  Reveal hidden contents

He is referring to decimal time. That is how daysiders tell time. Since it also refers to a "curse" he was wondering if it could mean more. You can have a group of a myriad number of people still act autonomously from an organization. Autonomous does not automatically mean one. I was hesitant to expand on this, because this was explained in the prose, but I could not recall if it was mentioned in the graphic novel. Hence the spoilers. 

Yes, I know about the time-telling (I have read the prose). I think I misunderstood @SAMWAF's comment. I thought he was trying to tie the number in with how each shard has an associated number (e.g. Cultivation = 5).

3 hours ago, Iron Eyes said:

Yes, I know about the time-telling (I have read the prose). I think I misunderstood @SAMWAF's comment. I thought he was trying to tie the number in with how each shard has an associated number (e.g. Cultivation = 5).

No, you didn't misunderstand, that was what I was going for. @Pathfinder lost me a bit (even though I read the prose), but I guess we shouldn't expand too much because it's the wrong forum.

I don't think 1 is correct, though, because 100 is pretty far away from unity.

I was more going on the premise that certain cultures based on their history place a level of importance on certain things, that could be unrelated to any actual practical reason, but originate from something that was once important. So light eyes being royalty and warfare being the highest calling, resulting from the radiants having glowing eyes and passing that on to their children, and that Alethkar was where the radiants trained or were centered. Just like 10 became a big thing because of the 10 heralds. If there were 11 heralds, the number 11 would be a big deal. Personally I am of the opinion that each shard does not have a "magic number", and by extension everything with their magic has to do with that number. I believe there is even a WoB which stated it isn't as big a deal as some people are making it, but me and the interview database don't get along so providing such a WoB is difficult for me. You want a quote from a book? I can find that in seconds with my kindle. Interview database? Not so much. Not to digress the topic, or try to disprove, but I am genuinely curious where this fits in with that magic number theory. Why is Cultivation's number five, and not Endowments? There are the five scholars. I would have assumed five would be for Endowment. Unless you were just using five with Cultivation as an example?

Yeah, I've been thinking about the Ten Fools on Roshar and the Hundred Fools on Taldain. I wonder if both of those stem from some other Fool-related belief originating all the way back on Yolen, before the Shattering. 

35 minutes ago, Argent said:

Yeah, I've been thinking about the Ten Fools on Roshar and the Hundred Fools on Taldain. I wonder if both of those stem from some other Fool-related belief originating all the way back on Yolen, before the Shattering. 

Possibly, Maybe the "original fools" are the Vessels for what they did. Or some other Yolish tradition

• 1 year later...
On 7/8/2016 at 1:29 PM, Pathfinder said:

Nope, but there are/were 16 metals. There are five scholars on Nalthis. Some people have theorized that the scholars end up being some of the heralds, but I believe there is a WoB that disproves that. 

It's just a timeline issue.  Warbreaker takes place between Hero of Ages and Stormlight Archive.  Alloy of Law takes place during or just after the gap between the two SA arcs.  there's 341 years in between HoA and AoL.  So there's about 300 years between HoA and SA, which means there's less than 300 years between WB and SA.

The Manywar takes place about 300 years before Warbreaker.

Aharietiam took place 4500 years before WoK.

Humans arrived on Roshar long before that.

The Heralds can't be the 5 Scholars.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 25/01/2018 at 9:16 PM, Emily said:

It’s not hundred fools, it’s hundred idiots. 

Actually, it's both! I assume because  White Sand hasn't been edited for consistency, but both terms are used in the text. "Hundred Idiots" is used first (by Praxton, Chapter 1) but it becomes "Hundred Fools" later (Kenton's internal monologue, Chapter 12).

PS. Apologies for post-necromancy, I was looking for this exact answer, and DuckDuckGo brought me here.

Edited by EBR