The Cloud God? Gods? Faces? Spies?

teknopathetic

Someone else mentioned this, but i thought Id go hunting. 

Option 1) Clouds can be used to spy on events. The Darksiders on Dayside a VERY up to date. The crime lord says "information has a way if finding us". Could cloud mastery be another form of magic? These faces look different to me. They dont appear to be the same person. The nose looks different. I also don't think Brandon would have a singular Cloud Mother (one of the faces looks very female) in his books after placing one in Roshar. 

Option 2) The sky is invested. It can filter the sunlight and refract healthy light to the people of dayside. The light is changed and invested so the sand can use it. The light is also made weaker so that the Daysiders do not burn and do not need to evolve protections against UV light.  Something similar might be happening in Darkside that strengthens the light. This face could be akin to the stormfather. 

Option 3) The water is invested. The water of the body is used to fuel sand mastery. The critters die from water exposure. Sand masters can manipulate water. And the clouds seem to have a magical use. 

A32EE9E1-4E35-461B-8F91-CF29EF90807B.JPG

2D07EDA4-6C62-42B5-BFB6-07F7716F549B.JPG

3F9437BF-AF02-4B13-AAF3-A694894977B8.JPG

A155E5FA-FD41-47F5-A506-455401DA63E2.JPG

AE2E42F5-E96F-49CA-AF34-4CE727244197.JPG

Edited by teknopathetic

I personally think it is the same face, but from different angles, which makes it appear slightly different. I do really like your theory about the atmosphere, and if it wasn't for the newsletter making me feel differently, I would be right on board. upvote!

The newsletter didnt say that the Sun was invested. It said that water and the sun are used to control sand. It isn't clear what the sun is doing. And since Darkside has a different sun, but that both sides have latent magic, the water or sky seems like a likely answer. But i admit i know nothing more than you do. The suns could easily be the answer too. 

No, he specifically states the sun recharges the sand. If you refer to the newsletter, he writes that in parenthesis. Personally I am still a proponent of reflected sunlight via the moon for darkside, but again I do like your theory, and it makes very good points. I would like it to be the atmosphere, and it does solve a lot of issues, but the fact that he literally states that it is the sun that recharges the sand, still leaves me in the camp that it is the sun. 

What makes me want to re-read white sand however, is to try and figure out why those faces are popping up at the moments they do. it makes me very curious of their significance. 

Edited by Pathfinder

He says the sun recharges the sand, but it recharges in 4 hours. 4 hours! That seems more biological than magical. Recharging doesn 't necissarily mean magic. The Sun being magic seems like the more obvious answer and I won't be mad if that is the case. I just feel that Brandon wants to be sneakier this time. He mentioned that the world's magic is based on ecology. We'll see how that hint plays out! 

Edited by teknopathetic

9 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

What makes me want to re-read white sand however, is to try and figure out why those faces are popping up at the moments they do. it makes me very curious of their significance. 

The faces pop up at key moments. One face is when Kenton finds the 6th orb. One face pops up when Kriss is walking to the Sand Master Temple. One shows up when Kenton goes to his Father's room for the first time and he confronts Drile. One is watching when Kriss and Kenton get to the main city. And one is watching when Kriss and Kenton start talking about Gevin in the desert. 

27 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

I am not really about "cloud Mastery" but if we take this Faces as Magical Effect, It would be a pro about your Idea about the Water Focus.
They (???) may manipulate water in gassous form to affect the cloud.

1 hour ago, teknopathetic said:

He says the sun recharges the sand, but it recharges in 4 hours. 4 hours! That seems more biological than magical. Recharging doesn 't necissarily mean magic. The Sun being magic seems like the more obvious answer and I won't be mad if that is the case. I just feel that Brandon wants to be sneakier this time. He mentioned that the world's magic is based on ecology. We'll see how that hint plays out! 

Lol ask a Rosharian if highstorms are magical and they would look at you like you are one of the ten fools. Conversely, tell them that the Almighty is just a normal guy that ages ago picked up a shard of power and isn't actually their God as in with the big G, and they will call you a heretic. Terming things magic or not is perspective. Sun that recharges sand regardless the time frame is magic to us. It is part of the ecology to Taldain. Don't get me wrong, we will totally RAFO, and I don't want my posts to take away from discussion about your theory. Just for me, the newsletter makes me believe otherwise.

1 hour ago, teknopathetic said:

The faces pop up at key moments. One face is when Kenton finds the 6th orb. One face pops up when Kriss is walking to the Sand Master Temple. One shows up when Kenton goes to his Father's room for the first time and he confronts Drile. One is watching when Kriss and Kenton get to the main city. And one is watching when Kriss and Kenton start talking about Gevin in the desert. 

Thanks for referencing the moments. To expand on this, what about those moments are similar, or special to make them key moments to the face in the sky? Is it as Kenton is taking on the mantle of responsibility? Is it to check on the status of the sand masters to see if they will continue as a cohesive group? Or is it that it just feels these moments might lead to something greater later on?

1 hour ago, Yata said:

I am not really about "cloud Mastery" but if we take this Faces as Magical Effect, It would be a pro about your Idea about the Water Focus.
They (???) may manipulate water in gassous form to affect the cloud.

Can you tell me what is the official accepted definition for focus on the forums, and maybe explain it a bit? I have tried to keep up with those threads and half the time I get lost, so i am leery about using such terminology. 

1 hour ago, Pathfinder said:

Can you tell me what is the official accepted definition for focus on the forums, and maybe explain it a bit? I have tried to keep up with those threads and half the time I get lost, so i am leery about using such terminology. 

The actual definition of Focus is nowhere so far as I know.

The thing that come closer to the "Focus"'s definition, it's what Mister Sanderson said about Metals on Scadrial "On Scadrial the Metals aren't Invested themself but they are gateway to Investiture" with a little loss of precision I think I may generalize a bit and say "A Focus is a gateway to Investiture" and with another (but more elengant) definition I think it better to say:

"A Shardworld's focus is a way to the Magic Systems native of that Shardworld to express themself" (of course this is a definition made by myself and has nothing of Canon)

Returning to the specific, whatever the Taldain's Focus is (light/ plant/water/poweroflove/ecc...) it will be a common element in every Magic Systems native of Taldain.

PS: I hope nobody resented if I explain the Focus's concept in those terms.

Edited by Yata

27 minutes ago, Yata said:

The actual definition of Focus is nowhere so far as I know.

Them thing that come closer to the "Focus"'s definition, it's what Mister Sanderson said about Metals on Scadrial "On Scadrial the Metals aren't Invested themself but they are gateway to Investiture" with a little loss of precision I think I may generalize a bit and say "A Focus is a gateway to Investiture" and with another (but more elengant) definition I think it better to say:

"A Shardworld's focus is a way to the Magic Systems native of that Shardworld to express themself" (of course this is a definition made by myself and has nothing of Canon)

Returning to the specific, whatever the Taldain's Focus is (light/ plant/water/poweroflove/ecc...) it will be a common element in every Magic Systems native of Taldain.

PS: I hope nobody resented if I explain the Focus's concept in those terms.

No worries, I appreciate you explaining, at least in your perspective what that term means. Based on your definition, my personal opinion is the lichen. From my research out of curiosity, the organism seems the perfect type to exist on both sides. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, ROSHtaFARian2.0 said:

Quick question - we've known Bavadin is on Taldain for a long time, but does anyone know if we have any WoB on whether or not he's the only Shard on Taldain?

At the moment I can't find the reference, but we have a WoB on Bavadin as the only Shard on Taldain

On 2016. 7. 15. at 4:01 PM, Yata said:

At the moment I can't find the reference, but we have a WoB on Bavadin as the only Shard on Taldain

We also know the Autonomy is the only shard showing any influence there directly. There is no second shard on the sun or on the moon or anything like that. Autonomy is the only shard directly influencing events (though minor interactions are always possible). 

Random thought:

'Cloud Spying' is the magic system or a result of the magic system of the Darkside.

I haven't read White Sand, and this is based on the OP's line 'The Darksiders on Dayside a VERY up to date.'  Who else seems VERY up to date on all Cosmere happenings?  Khriss.  Maybe she uses 'Cloud Spying' in her Worldhopping adventures to gather information.

2 hours ago, Rasarr said:

If she was "cloud spying", I think she'd know about Sand Masters before she saw Kenton taking flight. Personally, I think the faces in the clouds are some manifestation of Bavadin.

I dont think that all Darksiders can do it, but the Kings of Darkside might covet the ability. But, I think the Darksider's on Dayside have been using the ability. The criminal syndicate had WAAAY too much information on Khriss and the goings-on surrounding her flight from Darkside. They had information that they in know way should have possessed. (And yes, I have read the Prose Version)

Edited by teknopathetic

I don't have the knowledge to copy/paste the image, but I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the enormous skull in the sky after Kenton emerges from the sand and is passing through all the bodies of his people.

It is also for obvious reasons not the same face as shown in the images above.

5 hours ago, Stormfather-in-Law said:

I don't have the knowledge to copy/paste the image, but I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the enormous skull in the sky after Kenton emerges from the sand and is passing through all the bodies of his people.

It is also for obvious reasons not the same face as shown in the images above.

Hmm. I looked but I dont see the skull you are mentioning.

• 3 weeks later...