Billions of theories

I emailed all of this to Brandon, but he wasn't able to answer, so I decided to post my thoughts here.

If you were to put the small circles of warding on the inside of the large one, would that be alright? It says in the Taylor defense that they have to be concentric, but it sounded like that was just so the bind points would line up. Also, would doing that with a mark’s cross in each have enough stability to forgo other lines of forbiddance?

The Line of Revocation was described as a mix between lines of vigor and forbiddance, so is it possible other lines can create mixes as well? My major thought is that if a Line of Vigor and a Line of Warding mix, they could create extra curves for the circle to add strength. It was implied that this type of thing could work when Fitch and Joel first inspected the Line of Silencing and thought it could be a strange Line of Warding. Does that work?

Lines of Vigor have always been shown as the same degree curve the whole way. Does it have to be like that, or could it change throughout? If so, would it continue out following the pattern, or the outermost curve?

Joel suspected the Line of Silencing at the crime scene had faded as time went on. Yet it still registered as a rithmatic line from the chalkling. Does that mean nothing, or had it perhaps faded only to the point where yelling is the only thing sucked in? I was thinking it might have not worked because the Scribbler was not directly present (Harding was in control at the time), similar to the way the chalklings changed back to people when the Scribbler was beaten. Or maybe, since the rithmatist’s intentions change the lines, the Scribbler made it stop working just by not wanting it to do so. If that is the case, could people do something like that? Perhaps by not waiting the full 4 seconds for a line to disappear? The way chalklings pause when touched with chalk implies that this could work, but then again, most of this probably means nothing.

Nalizar wondered why ‘they’ hadn’t picked Joel. Was he referring to the Shadowblaze? The Master is singular, so do rithmatics really have nothing to do with the church at all?

Will anyone ever make more specialized chalk? For instance, the rain was supposed to be a problem in Nebrask. Will they find a way to waterproof it? Or might they add bleach or some kind of base to make it kind of immunized to acid?

The historians have trouble finding whether the Isles were ever inhabited. Were there any natives that were turned into chalklings? Of course, a related question is whether only rithmatists can be turned into chalklings- the Calloway servants were killed, but that could be because the rithmatists were being kidnapped because they have a limited number. That would indicate that the natives were rithmatists, which could also explain the Shadowblaze seen by Estevez. Or are Shadowblazes themselves the natives?

Could one line have multiple purposes? For example, could a Line of Silencing be used as a chalkling if you intend it to be so? I ask this not really because it would be a good chalking, but for the purpose of determining whether Shadowblazes could really have life only because of lines of making, as speculated in the book.

Your intent obviously affects your lines. Could your opponents’ also? Perhaps for a line that could keep people from lying? Though now I think of it, I realize that rithmatics are more likely to do that for everyone rather than just the opponent.

Could they not just dig a moat around Nebrask and fill it with acid? Surely there aren't enough chalklings to dilute an entire moat.

Do all wild chalkling return to life when defeated, or just the human ones?

Well, those are my thoughts, though I'm sure there are some I've forgotten. I'll be sure to add them if I remember any. Some of them are pretty simple, but hey- you can't solve 5x = 15 if you don't know that 5*3 = 15.

3 hours ago, Radiant of Crystallia said:

Your intent obviously affects your lines. Could your opponents’ also? Perhaps for a line that could keep people from lying? Though now I think of it, I realize that rithmatics are more likely to do that for everyone rather than just the opponent.

I suspect that it wouldn't. Otherwise a Rithmatist could just will his opponents lines to be weaker and win a fight quicker. Someone would have figured that out.

Could they not just dig a moat around Nebrask and fill it with acid? Surely there aren't enough chalklings to dilute an entire moat.

Some of the creatures on Nebrask are intelligent. They would find a way across it, like using logs to float across. They would need to use acid at a fairly quick rate to prevent it from being diluted by the rain. It's probably easier and less expensive to use a Line of Warding.

Do all wild chalkling return to life when defeated, or just the human ones?

4 hours ago, Radiant of Crystallia said:

The historians have trouble finding whether the Isles were ever inhabited. Were there any natives that were turned into chalklings? Of course, a related question is whether only rithmatists can be turned into chalklings- the Calloway servants were killed, but that could be because the rithmatists were being kidnapped because they have a limited number. That would indicate that the natives were rithmatists, which could also explain the Shadowblaze seen by Estevez. Or are Shadowblazes themselves the natives?

They only turned back when the Forgotten controlling them was defeated. For all we know, every wild chalkling could have once been a person, and the Rithmatists were just never able to defeat a Forgotten before and find out. I believe that the original wild chalklings were the natives that the Forgotten did something to. It raises the question, if wild chalklings are created when a Rithmatist is attacked by a wild chalkling, then where did the first one come from? Even if the ones that attacked the settlers were the native people, They would have had to get turned somehow.

As for the rest of your questions, RAFO.

• 6 months later...

so i just finished re-reading Joel's inception and a few things struck me as odd, first because it seems fitting i will throw out a wild theory that probably won't hold out, but any thought can be a good thought so here i go...

Spoiler

Joel's inception was right after he was attacked by the scribbler (i know that isn't his name i just like the sound of it more :P ) anyways it wasn't long at all, probably around 10 hours, could the shadow blaze rejected joel due to the fact that he saw he was targeted by a forgotten. It isn't to unreasonable to assume that the forgotten and shadowblazes are enemies, so joel could have been rejected out of fear.

Something i noticed as odd about Joel's inception was that the shadowblaze didnt just retreat and run away as people seem to forget but it "shook violently" this could be something about Joel (maybe something to help my previous theory or something to contradict it) the point is this wasn't just running away from Joel as people think. this could be nothing, but the way Sanderson included shook violently, not just said retreated stands out to me. This could have physically changed the shadowblaze maybe? if that is the case then maybe it could show back up in the next book, maybe recognizing Joel, acting differently now, having character? this is much more wild than my normal theories but i felt like seeing other people thoughts on it.

anyways that is all for now, i'm interested in anyone else thoughts as well ^_^

On 7/2/2016 at 5:32 PM, Radiant of Crystallia said:

If you were to put the small circles of warding on the inside of the large one, would that be alright? It says in the Taylor defense that they have to be concentric, but it sounded like that was just so the bind points would line up. Also, would doing that with a mark’s cross in each have enough stability to forgo other lines of forbiddance?

Hey, just finished re-reading the book again and i noticed something referring to this (unless i was reading it wrong which is highly possible, im tired soooo...)

Anyways, right as joel finishes the melee when he is still drawing after the bell has rung he was working on making a "secondary bastion of defense because their main circle had been breached a dozen times" (<--- that was paraphrased but still gets the point across) however after typing this i am realizing that the bastion might have been the smaller circle inside, but that also works for your theory. Also if you look at the taylor defense sketch it is a circle inside a circle, and that is why its called the impossible defense (that and the fact that it is a huge 9 pointer) so to answer your question i would say that yes, you can use circles inside of each other, it just isnt done often because it is impractical? when drawing rithmatists kneel. If you were to draw two defenses inside each other i think it would become to large and harder to move around the the kneeling position as well chull take too much time to draw. You would be attacked before you could finish. Plus the size would need to be even larger because without drawing the binding circles on the second inner circle would take up more space, and if you left those off the lines stability would be thrown off. Hope that made sense, if not oh well.

7 hours ago, Radiant of Crystallia said:

Sorry, that's not what I meant. When I said small circles I was referring to the binding circles, I just didn't know what they were called.

oh, well oops xD

i think if you placed them right it might help stabilization, but the other point of binding circles are to attach chalklings, and those will be pretty useless inside the circle.

Ah, but it would be perfect for using and deflecting lines of vigor! Just think about the Osborne defense- nobody uses that one for it's bind points, but for the open space available. I just think that this option would be even better for such purposes. Besides, I don't really care as much about the practicality of it at the moment, but the theory. The ability to do this could open up a whole world of other options, who knows!

2 hours ago, Radiant of Crystallia said:

Ah, but it would be perfect for using and deflecting lines of vigor! Just think about the Osborne defense- nobody uses that one for it's bind points, but for the open space available. I just think that this option would be even better for such purposes. Besides, I don't really care as much about the practicality of it at the moment, but the theory. The ability to do this could open up a whole world of other options, who knows!

If you are just intrested in the theory than i think it could be possible :D