Two year hiatus

Stormgate

Starting officially on August 10, I will be on a two year hiatus from the Shard. I am an interesting person, I admit, with my one year anniversary on the Shard coming in September/October/whatever, but my post count and ranking are that of a seasoned veteran.

In any case, I will be going to Long Beach area of Southern California for two years, and if any Sharders happen to be in the area, I'll try to drop in, if you want.

That just sounds ridiculous to me.  You're a legal adult.  So long as you're fulfilling the duties of the job, I don't feel like they have the right to police your private life.  But...well.  Reason Number 576 why the traditional Christian religious structure didn't work for me.

26 minutes ago, Kaymyth said:

That just sounds ridiculous to me.  You're a legal adult.  So long as you're fulfilling the duties of the job, I don't feel like they have the right to police your private life.  But...well.  Reason Number 576 why the traditional Christian religious structure didn't work for me.

13 minutes ago, Morzathoth said:

... no offense here, but cutting you off from the outside world sounds kind of a little tinsy tiny bit like something a cult would do.

Oh well, you do as you wish.

We have contact with the outside world. I can e-mail my family and friends. Besides, I knew about all this when I signed up for it. I read and agreed to the terms and conditions. All of them.

I'm not being cut off from the outside world as much as separated from it. I'm basically agreeing to spend two years in service, and the restrictions just help me to accomplish that. Besides, the worst punishment for breaking the rules is being sent home, which is only a last-resort action that nobody likes to implement.

4 hours ago, Haelbarde said:

When you say no phone, that's more no smart phone, right? Talked with some elders who were presumably on mission a few years back, and they had a feature phone they used to keep in touch.

Typically, yes. I'm also going on an LDS mission to Rochester, New York, on August 3rd. 

Most missions now have simple cell phones for the missionaries, allowing them to contact their leader, fellow missionaries, and those they're teaching. A lot(mine included) also give each missionary an iPad to use for scriptures, email, scheduling, etc.

8 hours ago, Stormgate said:

Starting officially on August 10, I will be on a two year hiatus from the Shard. I am an interesting person, I admit, with my one year anniversary on the Shard coming in September/October/whatever, but my post count and ranking are that of a seasoned veteran.

In any case, I will be going to Long Beach area of Southern California for two years, and if any Sharders happen to be in the area, I'll try to drop in, if you want.

You're going on your mission! :o Congrats! Even if we will miss you here . . . I'm glad you're going. :)

Congrats on your mission, Stormgate! My brother is leaving for his mission exactly a week after you are; he'll be serving over in Europe. (His mission is in the area that used to be known as Yugoslavia and includes the countries Croatia, Serbia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Montenegro, and Slovakia.) Will you be in an English-speaking mission, or Spanish or something else?

• 2 weeks later...

Mormon, aye? 
I always find it interesting how structured and controlled you guys' missions are. I guess it improves efficiency? 

Question: is going on a mission required in the mormon church, or just encouraged? 

10 hours ago, Erunion said:

Mormon, aye? 
I always find it interesting how structured and controlled you guys' missions are. I guess it improves efficiency? 

Question: is going on a mission required in the mormon church, or just encouraged? 

Yes.

The structure doesn't improve efficiency necessarily, it just makes it easier to focus on the task at hand.

For men, going on a mission is considered to be a duty. If they don't go on a mission, it is considered a violation of that duty, with the only consequences being between them and God. For women, they have no such obligation, but if they want to serve a mission, they are able to. Physical and emotional issues can sometimes disqualify an individual from missionary work, even going home if they are serious enough. 

@Stormgate

Interesting! My church groups (evengelical Christian) tend to have a different perspective: that everyone has different spiritual gifts or talents, and that everyone will have a different role in serving God's kingdom. So some of us become missionaries, and will spend our lives serving in the mission field. Others help the poor, or support the ministry of the church. Some do ministry full time, whereas others do it in addition to their regular tasks. 
But generally, the churches I have gone to are intentionally very low on structure/organization. 

Just now, Erunion said:

@Stormgate

Interesting! My church groups (evengelical Christian) tend to have a different perspective: that everyone has different spiritual gifts or talents, and that everyone will have a different role in serving God's kingdom. So some of us become missionaries, and will spend our lives serving in the mission field. Others help the poor, or support the ministry of the church. Some do ministry full time, whereas others do it in addition to their regular tasks. 
But generally, the churches I have gone to are intentionally very low on structure/organization. 

The basic philosophy of gifts and talents giving people different roles is something we share. I'm going to California because that's where my specific gifts can be used to do the most good. After my mission, depending on what is needed at the time and what I will be best doing, I could teach Sunday School, be in charge of a group of young men, or any number of other things. Not only that, but inside the rigidity of missionary work is an amount of freedom that allows missionaries to play on their strengths.

It's like a toolbox. Ideally, each tool is in working condition, strong enough to work and not break, clean, and in its place. From there, they are used for different tasks, hammering or tightening or whatnot. They are all in the same place, working towards the same goals, but go about it differently to get the job done most effectively.

9 hours ago, Stormgate said:

Yes.

The structure doesn't improve efficiency necessarily, it just makes it easier to focus on the task at hand.

For men, going on a mission is considered to be a duty. If they don't go on a mission, it is considered a violation of that duty, with the only consequences being between them and God. For women, they have no such obligation, but if they want to serve a mission, they are able to. Physical and emotional issues can sometimes disqualify an individual from missionary work, even going home if they are serious enough. 

I would like to add that there are often ways for young men (and women, for that matter) to serve in different capacities if they have special circumstances. For example, I know someone with bipolar disorder who did a "service mission" where he lived with his family and did genealogical work and service projects instead of being sent to a foreign country or another state to preach to strangers. The Church's top authorities consider each case individually and pray about it to make sure the mission fits the missionary, and in this case, they decided that it would have been hazardous to send him far away among strangers who weren't practiced in helping him deal with his disorder or where he might not be able to get necessary medication.

• 1 year later...
10 hours ago, Ark1002 said:

A lot of this has turned into a religious debate, not sure that is the point of 17teenth shard people....

In General Discussion? You bet that's one of the points. This isn't Thanksgiving with the family where religion and politics are off limits, this is where a debate on almost any topic can occur provided the proper decorum and it follows site's rules. 

On 7/12/2016 at 1:11 PM, Stormgate said:

Yes.

This kinda stuff is why i dont really believe in religion. 

But!! I do have mad respect for you and your determination! Good luck, and i hope you enjoy what you are doing!

Starting to write a long post, then realized:

This thread is almost two years old. <_<

Which means that Stormgate should actually be coming back in a few months.  :lol:

So I shall save my responses for his return. :ph34r:

Edited by Zellyia

7 hours ago, Niteshado said:

This kinda stuff is why i dont really believe in religion. 

But!! I do have mad respect for you and your determination! Good luck, and i hope you enjoy what you are doing!

This one does seem kinda sexist.