Complementing powers

Oversleep

Heads up to everybody: I found that thinking about a particular power and thinking about what would best augment it is a good way to come up with new combinations. Like with Abrasion + Feruchemical steel, I was just thinking how awesome it is that you make yourself exempt from the any resistance (friction, air resistance) and then it just clicked that Feruchemical steel goes along well.

On 22.07.2016 at 4:25 AM, Drake Marshall said:

Also... Iron compounding twinborn, while technically a violation of your rules about compounding listing

It isn't, technically. I said I wanted to avoid listing Compounding unless both powers were relevant. In your example both powers are relevant, so that's OK.

I made that rule so we avoid listing two powers when actually it's one that matters: infinite healing is awesome, but Allomantic gold isn't. So I made the rule that when we talk about Feruchemical power, it can also mean Compounding it but the allomantic power is irrelevant; helps to be clear about which powers we're talking about.

In my example with Lightweaver + Compounding copper both Allomantic and Feruchemical powers are important. If Allomantic one wasn't, I'd just have said Copper Feruchemy and then everyone knows that I mean that Feruchemical power (finite or infinite) is important here.

BTW, I like your idea about Steelpushing and Gravity Surge. If you're to make a quick change of direction, Steelpushing is better than Lashings. But in turn Lashings are better because they don't need anchors and you can pretty much anywhere, any altitude. So Steelpushing allows for more maneuvrability, but Lashings allow for more freedom. Good one.

11 hours ago, OdiYum said:

Would f steel effect the max speed of your steel pushes.

If so I pick steel compounding and abrasion.

It could have a similar effect to Feruchemical iron if you used momentum to offset or enhance the lurch from your Steelpull on a heavy object, but it's less convenient because you need open space to do that.

22 hours ago, Ari said:

Being an Elantrian with Feruchemical steel could let you draw symbols really quickly if you were in a pinch, probably giving you a lot of versatility. ^_^

I think that the 'upgrade Elantrian' pack would consist of Feruchemical zinc, Feruchemical copper, Feruchemical steel... I think that's it.

With Feruchemical copper Elantrian could have not only a complete list of Aons and modifiers, but also a really long list of already prepared complex programs. No need to invent everything on the spot if you can prepare it earlier and recall it perfectly. Feruchemical zinc would allow quick analysis of the situation and quick choice, while Feruchemical steel would allow to draw it instantly.

Feruchemical steel and Feruchemical zinc could be replaced with Allomantic bendalloy, though.

Anything I forgot to add?

11 hours ago, OdiYum said:

Would f steel effect the max speed of your steel pushes.

If so I pick steel compounding and abrasion.

Feruchemical steel affects only the speed of your body. So it does not effect the speed of Steelpushing, which makes your suggestion equivalent to the one I already added (Surge of Abrasion, Feruchemical steel).

That said, the real bonus of being a steel compounder is that if you tapped enough speed, you could Steelpull bullets to yourself and then move away, or even fine-tune pull them towards a different target.

6 minutes ago, hoidhunter said:

To have an invested bird that shows me my own possible deaths while being an electrum burner.

Sandmaster with f-iron.

You need to say more so that I could add descriptions as I haven't read Sixth of the Dusk nor White Sand yet and I simply don't know how would these powers work :)

7 hours ago, Oversleep said:

You need to say more so that I could add descriptions as I haven't read Sixth of the Dusk nor White Sand yet and I simply don't know how would these powers work :)

There are species with specific powers (most of telepatic nature). The bird about Hoidhunter talked shows you, your death. It's seems creepy and.... It's worse XD.

Letteraly it shows to you as illusion your own corpse and you may probably understand what killed you. If the danger isn't too immediate you may simply analizate the illusion and determinate a better path or plan (the book is setted in a location full of natural dangers). It may also show you multiple corpses if near to you there are many ways to die.

Edited by Yata

right...basically it lets you see areas of potential lethal danger using an illusion of your corpse.  If you were walking down a path with a land mind up ahead, you would suddenly see your partially blown apart corpse in the trail ahead, and he able to figure out the danger.   It just lets you know that certain decisions will get you killed. I imagine that the bird coupled with a-electrum would create a result like atium.

Also, it seems that one of the big caps on a sand masters mobility is being powerful enough to move their bodyweight.  Being able to reduce that would expand your mobility to a large degree.  Instead of using jets of sand to leap about, in big pushes, you could move yourself around like the head of a big sand snake.

1 minute ago, hoidhunter said:

Also, it seems that one of the big caps on a sand masters mobility is being powerful enough to move their bodyweight.  Being able to reduce that would expand your mobility to a large degree.  Instead of using jets of sand to leap about, in big pushes, you could move yourself around like the head of a big sand snake.

I'll add it to the Sandmastery entry. So it would be Sandmastery, Feruchemical bendalloy, Feruchemical iron.

I like the bird + electrum one. I wish we knew more about Truthwatchers to know how atium drualuminium atium burn would work for them.

12 hours ago, Oversleep said:

I'll add it to the Sandmastery entry. So it would be Sandmastery, Feruchemical bendalloy, Feruchemical iron.

I like the bird + electrum one. I wish we knew more about Truthwatchers to know how atium drualuminium atium burn would work for them.

Actually feruchemical bendalloy, or a bendalloy twin born would be perfect for a sandmaster. The sandmaster uses up his body's water to fuel his sand mastery. He or she could then feasibly drink gallons of water, storing it into his bendalloy minds, and then master while tapping and master far far longer than before

1 hour ago, Pathfinder said:

Actually feruchemical bendalloy, or a bendalloy twin born would be perfect for a sandmaster. The sandmaster uses up his body's water to fuel his sand mastery. He or she could then feasibly drink gallons of water, storing it into his bendalloy minds, and then master while tapping and master far far longer than before

That... is genius!

2 hours ago, Pathfinder said:

1 hour ago, CaptainRyan said:

That... is genius!

Guys, you know I already made that combination in the very first post? XD

On 1.07.2016 at 3:40 AM, Oversleep said:

Feruchemical bendalloy and Sand Mastery
Now, I know next to nothing about Sand Mastery (only what sample pages told me), but it seems that user's hydrenation is drained in similar way how color is drained in Awakening.

(Please restrain from mentioning Compoundings - let's assume that whenever someone points out Feruchemical power, it also could mean Compounding it, as it's upgrade of that power; but unless both powers of the metal are relevant, don't mention it)

So since I see no significant way for speed bubbles to affect Sandmastery, I only pointed out Feruchemical bendalloy :)

Edited by Oversleep

• 2 weeks later...

The coolest combo that wouldn't have to be unique to Lift would be a pewter compounder that was made into a dakhor monk. Indestructible! Green skin level strength! Toss in Chay-Shan training for funzies. Give them plate and blade assuming plate doesn't interfere. That would be one tanky son of a gun! Normal weapons already suck against the dakhor. Pewter buffs that resistance. The 3 of them all grant strength. That is picking up buildings potential.

Guys, what do you think about grouping entries? Like I have Lightweavers in three or four different places, should I lump them together? On the other hand it would completely destroy the chronological order of updates and checking the main post for updates would be a nightmare.

I've made some updates:

EDIT 3 (2016-08-25):

Lightweaver, Allomantic zinc/Allomantic brass (by Drake Marshall)
Lighweavers' actions seems to be centered around interaction with people, be it inspiring them, deceiving them or hiding from them. For all of these manipulation of emotions goes along well.

Surge of Gravity and Allomantic steel/Allomantic iron (by Drake Marshall)
While Lashing allows for more freedom (as you don't need anchors), Steelpushing/Ironpulling allows for far more maneuvrability and quick at that. I also suspect that the Lurcher technique of Pulling projectiles to their protected chest would be well augmented by creating a Reverse Lashing on that plate.

Elantrian, Feruchemical zinc, Feruchemical copper, Feruchemical steel (inspired by Ari)
Feruchemical zinc would allow for a far quicker evaluation of the situation and would help of inventing the proper sequence of Aons; Feruchemical copper would allow for a really extensive list of not only Aons and modifiers, but also many pre-prepared complex sequences; Feruchemical steel obviously allows for drawing very quickly what counteracts one of the major flaws of AonDor in combat.

Truthwatcher, Sak (death predicting bird), Allomantic electrum, Allomantic atium, Allomantic duraluminium (inspired by hoidhunter)
Seeing future pack. (Allomantic duraluminum for duralumin-burn of atium and electrum)

Also updated Sand Mastery entry:

Sand Mastery, Feruchemical bendalloy and Feruchemical iron
Since Sand Mastery requires hydrenation (similarly how Awakening requires color), Feruchemical bendalloy is the perfect complementing power. Feruchemical iron since it's easier to lift oneself without weighting anything.

Edited by Oversleep

On 8/15/2016 at 9:55 PM, Djarskublar said:

a pewter compounder that was made into a dakhor monk.

Only issue is are the bones affected by the F-Pewter's physical size increase

13 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

Guys, what do you think about grouping entries? Like I have Lightweavers in three or four different places, should I lump them together? On the other hand it would completely destroy the chronological order of updates and checking the main post for updates would be a nightmare.

It could work either way. You could even do update posts at certain intervals, since it keeps the chronological order you seem to enjoy

Hm... Some of the latest suggestions are good ideas.

Also...

Lightweaver, feruchemical copper, tin allomancy, heightenings.

Words of Radiance noted that all lightweavers seem to have photographic memory (something Shallan seems to confirm). This lets them store a very high quality memory.

Copper lets you store a larger quantity of memories for a longer time. When we combine them, you can store any number of very detailed images indefinitely.

Tin allomancy sharpens your senses and lets you see better.

The heightenings augments your senses somehow, though it does something different from what tin does.

All of these abilities on their own would be impressive. They would give someone uncanny ability to recall information and to process their surroundings.

Together, they are extraordinarily effective. Tin and the heightenings greatly increase the quality of the image you see. Being a lightweaver lets you take a memory of this image in flawless detail. Being a copper feruchemist lets you store that perfect image indefinitely, and you can store as many of them as you want. The result is that you can stash away an obscene amount of information without even half trying.

If we want we can throw feruchemical intellect on top of the combination. This lets them look back through their high definition memories and pick out details to analyze, intuitively deciding which ones are important. This is a lot of powers being added at this point... Still, someone with this loadout could easily put Sherlock to shame.

Edited by Drake Marshall

@Drake Marshall, this is already done.

There is an entry for Lightweaver with Compounding copper (it lets you have as many Memories as you want) and Allomantic copper hides your lightweaving from any Investiture sensors.

There is also entry for full sensory pack (Allomantic tin, Feruchemical tin, Heightenings).

Although I haven't thought about combining these two...

On 6/30/2016 at 10:25 PM, Halinn said:

Allomantic brass/zinc + feruchemical duralumin. The ultimate in social abilities 

This combo really should be on your list @Oversleep. It has great benefits on both ends of the spectrum. The above being the positive end, but the more nefarious can wreak havoc with these. I give to you: The ultimate Spy

Brass/Zinc to dampen/enflame things like worry/confidence (Social) or curiosity/trust (Spy)
Connection from F-Duralumin is always useful: Tap to connect with people and not stand out, Store greatly to not really register to people
Maybe add F-Copper to remember names, faces, locations, etc.. and A-Copper to hide the usage of magic. (Useful for Social abilities too: don't want to forget someone's name/get noticed while soothing now would you?)
Oh yeah, A-Copper blocks emotional allomancy. So you don't get manipulated by the social elite or the spy-hunters. Win-Win situation

Not sure if this idea came out.

A surgebinder capable of manipulating the surge of adhesion while being a steel/iron allomancer. Allomantic duraluminin would probably also be necessary.

This person could take a pair of coins, "glue" them anywhere with a full lashing, then push/pull on them to destroy whatever the coins are stuck to. While this would cause stress on the person, stormlight healing and strengthening would help. Overall, you could destroy a lot of things with your allomancy, without needing preset anchors. Nor would you need to worry about the anchors getting ripped out before the whole structure breaks, since the full lashing would keep things together.

Edited by Spoolofwhool