Perpendicularity Theory

theofficetroll

This might better fit in Theory, but as the book just got released, I figure this is a safer place to put it to avoid spoilers.

I was looking at the map and thinking about it. 

We have a sun-like deity at the top and center with flaming hair and the symbol of a sun. Willing to bet this is Autonomy/ Bavadin.

Note that the same symbol of the sun appears in the centre of the map at KraeDa, A sacred site and the space where the fertile lands radiate southward from.
I'd be willing to bet that's where we'll find the perpendicularity.

As Taldain is tidally locked, the centre of the Dayside continent is always pointed at the sun. Which is worshipped as a god.

How far does a perpendicularity reach? All the way to the star? Or perhaps the reverse? All the way from the star?

EDIT: Fixed Title

Edited by theofficetroll

Perpendicularities, as far as we know, are not (necessarily) physical objects. They are areas or regions where travel between the Cognitive and Physical Realms is possible, usually (always?) because of a high concentration of Investiture there, e.g. where Shardpools are. So asking about their reach is, I think, an invalid question. 

But you may still have a point! Do not despair, your existence is not without meaning! It is still possible that Autonomy's Shardpool is at that location. I feel like that would be too easy of an answer, but it's certainly possible.

They aren't physical objects, but they have a presence in all three realms. So, what are the limitations of the reach of a perpendicularity?

For instance, the Well of Ascension has a physical presence of a small pool of liquid and a cognitive presence of a column of energy.

If there is a Shardpool at the point indicated, it might have the same structure in the cognitive realm as that of the Well of Ascension. If so, how far does that column extend?

I'll say the shardpool/perpendicularity is on the point next to the sun; and this point seems for me to be the big mountain in the southern Kerla.

BTW: Is the shadow of this mountain what makes Lossland so green? If yes, then the sun must hang very,very low

On 30/06/2016 at 2:56 PM, Argent said:

But you may still have a point! Do not despair, your existence is not without meaning! It is still possible that Autonomy's Shardpool is at that location. I feel like that would be too easy of an answer, but it's certainly possible.

You officially trolled the officetroll. Would that be a metatrolling?

3 hours ago, ParadoxSpren said:

Well...if Autonomy is located within Dayside's star, wouldn't it have the Shardpool instead?

I don't think Autonomy would be "in" the sun, any more than Preservation was "in" the mists of Scadrial.  Sure, the bulk of his power might be there (and in Darkside's light source), but I'd be willing to bet that like any other Shard he's keeping watch over his domain, rewarding and punishing as he sees fit.

I meant the majority of his Investiture could be located there...but alternatively, as someone mentioned in newsletter thread (combined with the face in the clouds) he could just instead be altering the planet's atmosphere so as the light shines through, it becomes Invested/charged

Spitballing

30 minutes ago, ParadoxSpren said:

I meant the majority of his Investiture could be located there...but alternatively, as someone mentioned in newsletter thread (combined with the face in the clouds) he could just instead be altering the planet's atmosphere so as the light shines through, it becomes Invested/charged

Spitballing

I like that idea, especially if magic is possible on Darkside.  (I assume Investiture is available on Darkside, somehow?)

I was kind of wondering if that place on the Mastrell's Path where Kenton fought the sandling would be the perpendicularity - like, maybe the Shardholder (Bavadin?) put the creature there to guard it? The novel does say that "no one knows how that deep sandling came to be isolated so far from the deep sands" - that's what got me thinking. Or maybe there's a path from there to the shardpool? But I like the theory about the symbol on the map too. Wishing the map was more detailed! :unsure:

• 3 months later...