Hoid in White Sand

CosmereQuestioner

Do we have WoB concerning whether Hoid will be in each piece of the White Sand trilogy of graphic novels?

I know Sanderson stated he would have to put more Hoid in them than was in the prose version, and we also know Hoid appears in every novel, but concerning the graphic novel (since it's one story broken into 3 parts): will Hoid appear in EACH part, or just in the series?

-CQ

Edited by CosmereQuestioner

On 6/28/2016 at 7:21 AM, CosmereQuestioner said:

Do we have WoB concerning whether Hoid will be in each piece of the White Sand trilogy of graphic novels?

I know Sanderson stated he would have to put more Hoid in them than was in the prose version, and we also know Hoid appears in every novel, but concerning the graphic novel (since it's one story broken into 3 parts): will Hoid appear in EACH part, or just in the series?

-CQ

We have a teaser from Brandon's lovely assistant wondering if we'd find Hoid in "this volume". 

Edited by teknopathetic

9 hours ago, teknopathetic said:

This man appears on different pages. He is playing music or being a story teller like Hoid. He is dressed like Hoid in Elantris. He is on a crate like Hoid in WOR. And he is overhearing key information straight from Kenton's mouth. Kenton is talking about the fate of the Maestrells. 

I thought this was Hoid, too. I haven't had a chance to double-check the prose against whether that particular musician is mentioned, but if he's not then I think that is a circumstantial point in favor (since WoB is that he was gonna change Hoid's appearance in the graphic novel to make him more prominent).

Edited by PallonianFire

I can't speak for Warbreaker, Mistborn Era 2, or The Emperor's Soul yet, as I haven't gotten to them yet, but it seems like Hoid has a much more prominent role in Stormlight than in the first Mistborn Series or Elantris. In the latter, he's only there for a scene or two, as a mysterious informant or beggar, respectively. I wonder if White Sand will keep him shrouded off to the side, or if we'll see a more prominent appearance a'la Stormlight. My guess is no, only because of the shorter nature of the series, but who knows? It's just so unpredictable. 

• 3 months later...

On both my 1st and 2nd read of White Sand, the guy who helps Trackt Ais struck me as a main contender for Hoid.

The guitar guy (mentioned in posts above) also appears in the same scene two pages before the one I show here. The two men have some similarities and some distinct differences, I wondered on first read that perhaps they were the same person.

Why do I think the helper could be Hoid? (Spoilers for Stormlight Archive, and Mistborn Secret History)

Spoiler
  1. He talks about being a proponent of humiliating authority figures much like Wit in TWoK
  2. He says that he and swords don't get along well - an apparent aversion to violence. This reminded me of various posts I have seen that suggest Hoid is unable/not allowed to do people serious harm. This is inline with something he said to Kelsier at the Well of Accession in Mistborne: Secret History.
  3. He then seemed to me to dodge his way through the battle with increased speed. Probably not, but Atium burn / feruchemy perhaps? .
  4. He ends the fight by stamping on the dudes foot, and we see the impact/pain burst highlighted in blue. I don't think this colour is used elsewhere in the book for this sort of impact and both times it stuck out for some reason to me
  5. He departs with a joke
  6. I don't believe (unless I miss it) that we see him again in the book. His inclusion here just seemed a little too random to me

IMG_2833.JPG

30 minutes ago, william_wallace said:

On both my 1st and 2nd read of White Sand, the guy who helps Trackt Ais struck me as a main contender for Hoid.

You aren't the first person to think that but unfortunately we can definitively say that Aarik is not Hoid. There is WoB that Hoid is only tangentially referenced within the prose draft of White Sand, and Aarik is a significant character.

44 minutes ago, WeiryWriter said:

You aren't the first person to think that but unfortunately we can definitively say that Aarik is not Hoid. There is WoB that Hoid is only tangentially referenced within the prose draft of White Sand, and Aarik is a significant character.

Oh well.

To be honest I didn't realise that he was referring to himself when he said "Aarik's first rule..." as its sort of strange to talk about yourself in 3rd person perspective.

I assumed he was just making a joke, referring to a random deity or joker.

Thanks for the clarification

I wonder if everyone's first thought on seeing Aarik/Eric was 'Is this Hoid?' since I know it happened to me. There's a WoB that Hoid's appearance in the prose version was an offhand mention to one of Ais' old cases that was intended to reference him without actually naming him. I've tried to find that but haven't been able to, despite being willing to swear to having seen something that sounded like that on my first read. Tis a mystery...

Anyhow, the musician/storyteller seems like a promising candidate as Hoid has adopted a disguise like that before. Spotting this kind of thing requires a whole new skillset though and one I'm clearly rubbish at; I didn't even realize there was a pattern of faces in the clouds until it was pointed out here. xD

I wonder if everyone's first thought on seeing Aarik/Eric was 'Is this Hoid?' since I know it happened to me. 

Definitely happened to me when I read the prose. I still haven't gone back through to try to find the Ais case that mentions him, but I do think that this musician is probably the new appearance.

On 10/17/2016 at 2:27 PM, Weltall said:

I wonder if everyone's first thought on seeing Aarik/Eric was 'Is this Hoid?' since I know it happened to me. There's a WoB that Hoid's appearance in the prose version was an offhand mention to one of Ais' old cases that was intended to reference him without actually naming him. I've tried to find that but haven't been able to, despite being willing to swear to having seen something that sounded like that on my first read. Tis a mystery...

Anyhow, the musician/storyteller seems like a promising candidate as Hoid has adopted a disguise like that before. Spotting this kind of thing requires a whole new skillset though and one I'm clearly rubbish at; I didn't even realize there was a pattern of faces in the clouds until it was pointed out here. xD

I'm sure that for everyone who hasn't read the word doc would likely think it was hoid. 

• 7 months later...

I thought Erik was Hoid at first too, having read the prose. So it isn't too hard to see, having read the whole thing though, unless he drastically departs from the prose it is unlikely he is Hoid. Especially considering as people have said he is a main character, which I don't think he will be until the dragonsteel series or whatever it is called.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sorry to necropost, but I think I found the obvious answer: Skathan from Vol. 2, the dude Baon and Khriss talk about when they are figuring out how Sand Mastery works He's apparently ageless, has tons of weird magical powers, and is only tangentially important to the plot.  

Case closed, I'd say. 

Edited by Raykoda

Being the emperor of a continent-spanning power doesn't fit Hoid's usual MO at all and doesn't fit with what Brandon has told us of Hoid's appearance in the story:

Questioner

You are releasing a graphic novel version of White Sand, which one is going to be canon to the Cosmere, the graphic novel or the novel you originally wrote?

Brandon Sanderson

Oh definitely the graphic novel. The book I originally wrote has its problems, and I never released it. The books don't become canon until I release them. This will be the canon release of White Sand. I don't think-- If the graphic novel does well we are not going to write novels, I'm going to do the second one as a graphic novel original. That's just how we are going to do it-- is my plan right now. There are things when we went back to it that we tweaked, for instance Hoid's appearance in the original novel was only a reference. He was mentioned by, what did I end up calling him, Eis? Ais, I had both names for a while, it was only a reference to one of his old cases, that's his only appearance. And we're like "Ehh people are going to expect more now". So we are writing in a better appearance for him. Stuff like that, I feel Khriss' character needs better development than the novel had, so we are working on that. Stuff, you know. Things you would do in a major revision. source

Skathan (whose name got changed in the adaptation) is mentioned multiple times and never in this context. Ergo, Skathan is not Hoid.

6 hours ago, Weltall said:

Being the emperor of a continent-spanning power doesn't fit Hoid's usual MO at all and doesn't fit with what Brandon has told us of Hoid's appearance in the story:

Very much this. Definitely not Skathan.

I feel very strongly that it's the guy indicated in @teknopathetic's post above. Random dude with a musical instrument who seems to be around when something interesting happens? Very Hoid-like. Brandon didn't say that he would be playing a big role in the graphic novels--just that he would have a bigger spot. And considering his spot in the prose is practically non-existent, that's not saying much.

But anyways...

Spoiler

This guy showed up again at the Lord Artisan's place, creeping on the main characters pretty hard. Got a picture. He's in two or three other panels around here as well. 

20180220_235331_HDR.jpg

He may show up elsewhere in volume 2, but I happened to spot him in this scene.

Yeah, as soon as my copy arrived and I saw that scene, I became pretty certain the man with the musical instrument is Hoid. He's appeared in both issues so far and seems to be keeping an eye on the protagonists. Won't be surprised if he does something (slightly) more prominent in the last volume, even if it's just pulling a 'they went thattaway' to guide the characters to where they need to be.

On 2/20/2018 at 10:01 PM, Jofwu said:

Very much this. Definitely not Skathan.

I feel very strongly that it's the guy indicated in @teknopathetic's post above. Random dude with a musical instrument who seems to be around when something interesting happens? Very Hoid-like. Brandon didn't say that he would be playing a big role in the graphic novels--just that he would have a bigger spot. And considering his spot in the prose is practically non-existent, that's not saying much.

But anyways...

Reveal hidden contents

This guy showed up again at the Lord Artisan's place, creeping on the main characters pretty hard. Got a picture. He's in two or three other panels around here as well. 

20180220_235331_HDR.jpg

He may show up elsewhere in volume 2, but I happened to spot him in this scene.

He shows up a couple pages before before too where Khriss says she’s been waiting for Kenton. And in the panel above the one in your picture. I looked fairly specifically for him throught the book, but those three and the one @ShatteringEchoes posted are the only ones I could find.

On an unrelated note, the faces in the clouds pretty much disappear altogether in volume 2, I only found one where Aarik is talking to himself in the mirror (middle of chapter 5)