2016-06-28 White Sand Volume 1 Release Party - West Jordan, UT

If anyone is still present and willing to ask, would you please put forward this question:  

We have seen, in the past, that in-universe religions reflect some facet of local Realmatics, e.g. The Malwish belief in "Herr" and "Frue," or the Survivorist belief that their savior had somehow survived death.  We have also heard from Preservation (and seen on numerous occasions) that how people think affects and alters the Cognitive Realm.  In that vein, then, could a suitably popular religion change the nature of the local Cognitive Realm and/or any Shards that happen to be present?  

Here's what my wife and I asked and what Brandon said (lots of Warbreaker questions- I just finished a reread of it the other day so that was on my mind)

Warbreaker spoilers:

Spoiler

Q: When <name> is dying, his Breath flares up and does weird stuff, and Vasher says that's really rare. What exactly is going on here?

A: RAFO card

Q: Do Vasher and Vivenna hook up?

A: Definite RAFO

Q: Siri mentions that Bluefinger's ability to keep track of time seems almost supernatural- is it supernatural?

A: No. Good Question.

Q: Can a Returned give their Divine Breath to someone else like how a regular Nathian would give their Breath away? Ie: would that then make the recipient "Divine" or elevate them to the 5th heightening?

A: They can give their Divine Breath away but it wouldn't make the recipient divine or anything. Basically, this is how they heal someone- by using the "My life to yours, my Breath become yours" command.

Q: In the written novel of Warbreaker there is a scene where Vasher uses a special command to put all of his Breath into a rope except for his Divine Breath, but it doesn't say what command he uses. In the same scene in the Graphic Audio version, Vasher says, "My Breath to give, for life to live." Is that command canon or was that a construct of the Graphic Audio team?

A: I'd have to check with Peter and/or Isaac, but I *think* it is canon. Basically you can treat is as being canon for now. 

Q: Who painted the paintings that Lightsong reacted to? Anyone specific?

A: There is one painting that was painted by someone significant- someone you've heard of. Any more than that is RAFO.

Q: Has Hoid ever submitted a painting to the Court of Gods?

A: That is the sort of thing that Hoid would do, but none of the paintings that we've seen were by Hoid or anything. 

Mistborn Spoilers, up through Shadows of Self:

Spoiler

Q: Could Bloody Tan burn bendalloy (because it mentions he steals a large shipment of bendalloy)?

A: *cautiously* ...which version of Bloody Tan? (If you've read Shadows of Self, then you know why Brandon was hesitant here)

Q: The "Alloy of Law" version, not later.

A: No, he didn't burn Bendalloy to pull the stunt with Lessie and the bullet or anything. He stole the bendalloy because its expensive and valuable. 

Q: Does Paalm make any cameos in the first Mistborn Trilogy?

A: RAFO

Spoiler

Q: In the written novel of Warbreaker there is a scene where Vasher uses a special command to put all of his Breath into a rope except for his Divine Breath, but it doesn't say what command he uses. In the same scene in the Graphic Audio version, Vasher says, "My Breath to give, for life to live." Is that command canon or was that a construct of the Graphic Audio team?

A: I'd have to check with Peter and/or Isaac, but I *think* it is canon. Basically you can treat is as being canon for now. 

Huh, that's interesting. I vaguely remember there was a weird Command somewhere in GA's Warbreaker, but it's a really nice catch.

Spoiler

Q: Who painted the paintings that Lightsong reacted to? Anyone specific?

A: There is one painting that was painted by someone significant- someone you've heard of. Any more than that is RAFO.

The next question confirms that it's not Hoid. So I am at a loss - perhaps another worldhopper? Perhaps the infamous Terriswoman?

Oh, I guess I should comment on the answers to my questions, eh? :) Thank you for asking them, @Viridian! I am not surprised by either answer, unfortunately, but Marsh's identity as Death has always been something I've been interested in. Maybe we'll see how that particular belief started when/if we get his Secret History.

Edited by Argent

6 hours ago, Yata said:

ok I have to be Honest, I didn't check the event's date and I miss my chance to pass some questions for Mister Sanderson...Sad Yata :(

Brandon's doing another signing tonight down in Orem, so you've got a second chance. 

Also, for my fellow Utah residents, if you are interested in the Mistborn: House War boardgame that is on Kickstarter right now, I will be doing a demo of the game this Saturday using the playtest kit. For more information, check out this post: http://www.crafty-games.com/forum/index.php?topic=8437.0 [/blatant promotion]

6 hours ago, Argent said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Huh, that's interesting. I vaguely remember there was a weird Command somewhere in GA's Warbreaker, but it's a really nice catch.

Reveal hidden contents

The next question confirms that it's not Hoid. So I am at a loss - perhaps another worldhopper? Perhaps the infamous Terriswoman?

Oh, I guess I should comment on the answers to my questions, eh? :) Thank you for asking them, @Viridian! I am not surprised by either answer, unfortunately, but Marsh's identity as Death has always been something I've been interested in. Maybe we'll see how that particular belief started when/if we get his Secret History.

@Argent, you're very welcome! :) Sorry we didn't get the chance to ask more. Also, I only wrote the gist of the answers - there's much more that Brandon actually said, of course. None of our answers were one word - the transcription will have much more, though still not as specific as you'll want. It really sounded like he was saying there wasn't much to how it started, that the name "Death" was more of a misunderstanding than anything else (which, I suppose, matches the character). I hope we'll learn more than that too, but it might be a while. He's not revealing much about anything that will be in future books. Or so I keep hearing whenever I try to ask. 

And my memory is faulty (nerves mixed with travel exhaustion) so I can't guarantee which question it was, but he revisited one of our questions later in the conversation and gave a slightly more clear answer, because he had initially thought we were trying to be tricky with the wording. I don't remember any new information coming from it, though.

I'm sad to have missed @Brightness Enna (hope you had a blast at your first signing & congrats on getting #2!) and @Herowannabe (whose army-crawling baby was adorable). Someday I'll meet more of you lovely Sharders in person.

2 minutes ago, Viridian said:

@Argent, you're very welcome! :) Sorry we didn't get the chance to ask more. Also, I only wrote the gist of the answers - there's much more that Brandon actually said, of course. None of our answers were one word - the transcription will have much more, though still not as specific as you'll want. It really sounded like he was saying there wasn't much to how it started, that the name "Death" was more of a misunderstanding than anything else (which, I suppose, matches the character). I hope we'll learn more than that too, but it might be a while. He's not revealing much about anything that will be in future books. Or so I keep hearing whenever I try to ask. 

Hey, don't worry about it at all. An expected answer is still an answer :)

Here's some q and a I got!
Q What does the flute do? 
A it plays music.
Q *laughs nervously* but there must be more to it 
A *smiles* all the flute does is play music. (He said more, but I can't really remember well enough to write down)

Q DUring this same scene, Hoid mentions that he'd been named after a rock, a very beautiful one. Was this a reference to Dragonsteel? When he had the name Topaz?
A Yes.

Q: Stone is sacred to the Shin. Do Oathstones have anything to do with that?
A: Yes. Oathstones have a lot to do with their religion.

Q It is mentioned that Lift went to the Old Magic. What did she get? Do you know what she got?
A It is mentioned in Edgedancer.

2 hours ago, CarolaDavar said:

Q It is mentioned that Lift went to the Old Magic. What did she get? Do you know what she got?
A It is mentioned in Edgedancer.

Ok this is interesting... I don't think the Novella will be about Lift and her research of the Old Magic (it will be disappointing if something like that isn't in Stormlight Archive's books) but it's good to have some answer before LIft became a main character (6-10 books if I don't remember wrong)

Edited by Yata

13 minutes ago, Yata said:

Ok this is interesting... I don't think the Novella will be about Lift and her research of the Old Magic (it will be disappointing if something like that isn't in Stormlight Archive's books) but it's good to have some answer before LIft became a main character (6-10 books if I don't remember wrong)

The latest newsletter exclusive is from the novella and it picks up the story some time after Lift's interlude. So it's very much still present tense. 

35 minutes ago, Argent said:

The latest newsletter exclusive is from the novella and it picks up the story some time after Lift's interlude. So it's very much still present tense. 

ok thanks, I didn't recive any newsletter these days...strange :mellow:

Edited by Yata

1 hour ago, Yata said:

The novella is called Edgedancer, because it is about Lift. Lift is an Edgedancer

1 hour ago, Yata said:

ok thanks, I didn't recive any newsletter these days...strange :mellow:

1 hour ago, Kandra-in-disguise said:

Me either. I've been waiting for it, yet I never got the email...

Check your spam folders. It sometimes lands there. 

And there is a mention of what Lift asked for in the excerpt :)

1 hour ago, CarolaDavar said:

The novella is called Edgedancer, because it is about Lift. Lift is an Edgedancer

Yeah I know it XD ... I meant that I didn't think the novella is about Lift's research of the Old Magic, I didn't doubt about Lift as Main Character ;-)

23 hours ago, Argent said:

And it tells us what she asked the Nightwatcher. Mystery solved. I like Lift, but I am still not convinced about reading a whole story from her viewpoint. She isn't the sanest of characters... Luckily, it is about Edgedancers, so I have that to yearn for.

52 minutes ago, maxal said:

And it tells us what she asked the Nightwatcher. Mystery solved. I like Lift, but I am still not convinced about reading a whole story from her viewpoint. She isn't the sanest of characters... Luckily, it is about Edgedancers, so I have that to yearn for.

I wouldn't call it "solved," but it does give us a big nudge in the right direction. 

1 hour ago, DSC01 said:

You know what? The last newsletter I got was the January one. I wonder what's happening.

I found it after searching for "Brandon" in my email server (which is on gmail); so, it should be there...

55 minutes ago, maxal said:

She's thirteen. I don't consider teenagers all that sane to begin with, and really, she's acting like someone of that age (too many teenagers in novels are way more mature than they should be in many ways). I'm actually enjoying her viewpoint a lot more in these two first sections of Edgedancer than I did in her interlude in Words of Radiance, so, there is that.

Edited by Kandra-in-disguise

2 hours ago, Kandra-in-disguise said:

I found it after searching for "Brandon" in my email server (which is on gmail); so, it should be there...

She's thirteen. I don't consider teenagers all that sane to begin with, and really, she's acting like someone of that age (too many teenagers in novels are way more mature than they should be in many ways). I'm actually enjoying her viewpoint a lot more in these two first sections of Edgedancer than I did in her interlude in Words of Radiance, so, there is that.

Ah then I have to say I am experiencing the opposite phenomenon. I rather enjoyed reading Lift's interlude back in WoR: it was different and pleasing, but I am not sold on her as a major viewpoint character. Her thought process is not coherent and I found I have a harder time connecting with such characters. For instance, while I do enjoy Wayne as a character, I wouldn't read a whole book from his perspective. It also explains my complete lack of interest for Lopen. It isn't so much the fact she is a teenager (I do not mind young characters), but I fear being only is 13 years old is a poor excuse for having such a disparate mindset. Teenagers may be young, but they are capable of thinking coherently. Lift sounded so frazzled... It may be you are right and it simply is her age which bothers me. I had thought it may be the case which is why I was perfectly fine with Lift not being a major character until the second half of SA. The tables have now turned and she is major now. I dunno. I'll have to read the full novel to make myself a better idea, but as it currently stands, I am not convinced.

Still, I am pretty excited onto new Stormlight material and it is sure to be very interesting on other aspects than its main character. For instances, I really like Wyndle, I feel for him for having been forced to bound Lift.