Attica's soul

At the end of book 2, something seemed crystal clear to me. However, noone else seems to see it that way, at least I cannot find any thread about it. Am I being stoopid?

Here goes: Attica bequeathed his soul to Alctraz, who demanded it back from the curators. That meant they couldn't keep it, and since Alcatraz doesn't demand his father to stay a curator he could become human again. However, his soul still 'belongs' to Alcatraz, doesn't it? It was never given back. So, Attica is not in posession of his soul, hence his 'soul-less'behaviour.

I didn't quite read it that way. Just checked again: Grandpa Smedry says that "He is what he is" and that he hasn't handled fame well. Yet he can't always have been quite so shallow. He loved Shasta and 'saw something in her' others didn't see. More to the point: he entrusted his son with the sands of Rashid and later with his own rescue, gambling his very soul on the fact that this son would amount to something. The same son he now completely ignores? Sorry, I don't buy it.

• 2 weeks later...