When Calamity Rose

WayneSpren

So in Firefight we're told that "The star burned fiercely, and the land around me seemed to grow red, bathed in a deep light. Like on that first night, so long ago, when Calamity had come and the world had changed. Impossibilities, chaos, followed by Epics." But we also know that Epics didn't show up until years after Calamity rose. 

So what 'Impossibilities' occured?

Also, during the prologue, after Calamity rises, screaming starts. Screaming at what exactly, if there wouldn't be Epics for a couple years?

Andybody have any guesses?

Edited by WayneSpren

Oh how I wish we knew.  The epics began appearing almost exactly a single year after Calamity arrived, for reasons nobody understands.  We have no idea what the rest of the things which happened were.  Presumably some of that is waiting for the follow-up series when we discover more about what Calamity was and why he did was he was doing.

2 hours ago, WayneSpren said:

So in Firefight we're told that "The star burned fiercely, and the land around me seemed to grow red, bathed in a deep light. Like on that first night, so long ago, when Calamity had come and the world had changed. Impossibilities, chaos, followed by Epics." But we also know that Epics didn't show up until years after Calamity rose. 

So what 'Impossibilities' occured?

Also, during the prologue, after Calamity rises, screaming starts. Screaming at what exactly, if there wouldn't be Epics for a couple years?

Andybody have any guesses?

We know that Dawnslight showed up pretty much on time with Calamity, so it isn't far fetched that even more crazy stuff happened. Furthermore, at the end of Steelheart, Prof says something along the lines that he has been an Epic since Calamity. I guess it's possible that there was a first wave of Epics that somehow sliped under the radar after the inital chaos and Calamity only created more after a year had passed but that's a rather weak guess.

On June 16, 2016 at 1:32 AM, Edgedancer said:

We know that Dawnslight showed up pretty much on time with Calamity, so it isn't far fetched that even more crazy stuff happened. Furthermore, at the end of Steelheart, Prof says something along the lines that he has been an Epic since Calamity. I guess it's possible that there was a first wave of Epics that somehow sliped under the radar after the inital chaos and Calamity only created more after a year had passed but that's a rather weak guess.

I suspect that was Prof being…imprecise.  He was one of the first group of Epics, but the ones that around about a year later, I'd presume.  I do find it possible that Dawnslight and others were created earlier, and people didn't think they were Epics, or perhaps some things like that aren't actually Epics, but perhaps a similar effect on non-human lifeforms, like plants and animals?

jW

• 1 month later...
  • Chaos locked this topic