Theory on Kaladin's parentage

vikramadith

Hi folks, glad to join the forums!

* If you don't like spoilers of a speculative nature, you might not want to read this *

Don't know if this has been discussed before, but I have a suspicion that Kaladin might be one of Dalinar's sons.

The evidence:

- Dalinar's wife's identity remains a mystery

- Kaladin's mother's parentage is mentioned in passing when she says that Lirin had difficulty in speaking to them. Sounds like there was something interesting about them that will be revealed in coming books.

- It is mentioned in the books that Kaladin's name itself sounds more like a light eyes' name. In fact, it rhymes with the names of Dalinar's other sons

- We know that light eyes sometimes marry dark eyes

- We also know that the children of light eyes and dark eyes may end up being either light or dark eyed

The story might reveal that Kaladin's mother was Dalinar's wife. They had three children - Adolin, Kaladin and Renarin. Kaladin, the second son was dark eyed. This had been a source of shame for the family, eventually driving them apart. Kaladin's mother took her dark eyed son away from a life of humiliation. Dalinar got her erased from his memory. Kaladin's mother met Lirin and remarried, eventually bearing Tien. Kaladin himself was renamed so Dalinar does not recognise his name.

The main point against this theory is that Dalinar having a dark eyed wife would surely be a story that kept getting mentioned. Sadeas would have mentioned in repeatedly to further Dalinar's humiliation.

lighteyes of low status sometimes marry darkeyes of high status. dalinar is way too important to marry a darkeye. assuming, hypotethically, that he did, then such a marriage would have been the scandal of the court, and everybody would have mentioned it. so, sorry, but that theory doesn't hold.

Brandon has read out a flashback sequence from book three where Dalinar's wife shows up:

She's lighteyed. I'm not sure if her eyes are specifically mentioned, but I'm pretty sure her brother's are, and in either case it was a political marriage. That would mean marrying a lighteyes, in this case. Also, even before this flashback sequence, we knew that her hair was blond, and of a variety that is passed down genetically in very specific ways (as seen in Adolin and Renarin). That does not match up with Kaladin.

The question regarding Kaladin's parentage has been asked at a signing: he is Lirin and Hesina legitimate son. There is nothing more to look for. Besides, even if he weren't, him being the long lost son of Dalinar would be a tad over-done.

Brandon has read out a flashback sequence from book three where Dalinar's wife shows up:

She's lighteyed. I'm not sure if her eyes are specifically mentioned, but I'm pretty sure her brother's are, and in either case it was a political marriage. That would mean marrying a lighteyes, in this case. Also, even before this flashback sequence, we knew that her hair was blond, and of a variety that is passed down genetically in very specific ways (as seen in Adolin and Renarin). That does not match up with Kaladin.

Shshshshh and her brother were described as nearly as tall as Alethi but with a slender built, golden hair and pale skin. 

Or, it could have been that part of the bane was that she was sent to Hearthstone, and her eyes were switched so that Dalinar could never marry her for political reasons. Then, she had Kaladin after that. So Dalinar has no idea about Hearthstone or Kaladin.

Or, it could have been that part of the bane was that she was sent to Hearthstone, and her eyes were switched so that Dalinar could never marry her for political reasons. Then, she had Kaladin after that. So Dalinar has no idea about Hearthstone or Kaladin.

Renarin is younger than Kaladin.

Am I the only one who absolutely hates the idea of Kaladin being the long lost son of Dalinar? I don't particularly fear this plot twist as Brandon has confirmed Lirin and Hesina were Kaladin biological parents, but I wonder what others find so seductive in the idea? Why want Kaladin to be biologically linked to Dalinar? Personally, I am rather found of the Kholin dynamic and I have made quite a bunch of theory as to how dysfunctional it may grow, but I absolutely do not want to add Kaladin to the mix: it feel so unfair. So I am keen on hearing what those who proposed this theory liked about it to begin with.

I think it's more poetic that Kaladin would rise from the ranks of dark eyes to become so powerful.

It will help in upending the notion that light eyes are the end all be all, when in ancient history this was not the case. There is a lot of language about this line of thinking, and with the Knights Radiant reformation, it seems that things of ancient times will come about again.

He is sort of a messiah for the down trodden; the little guy. To have him be of light eye parentage undermines that whole narrative.

Edited by Massik

I too have a pet theory that Kaladin's mother is lighteyed and using those drops for her eyes.  The flaw in the theory is, of course, even though children of a lighteyed/darkeyed union can be either lighteyed or darkeyed, what are the odds that both of her only children would be born darkeyed?

It seems unlikely that one of her children wouldn't have turned out lighteyed or one-eyed...

I will say though, while I enjoy playing witht the idea that Hesina is secretly a lighteyes, I don't like the idea that Kaladin is Dalinar's son.  Seems to bit too much of a stretch.

Overall, I agree that Kaladin's parentage is as said in the books. Even without all the evidence given against the theory, there's also the fact that that's just not how a Sanderson plot twist works. He leave small, subtle hints that you don't really notice, until the truth hits you like a shardhammer to the face. When I read the plot twist at the end of Way of Kings about the Parshmen and the Parshendi, I could barely keep quiet because of how much I was freaking out. This theory just doesn't have that.

I too have a pet theory that Kaladin's mother is lighteyed and using those drops for her eyes.  The flaw in the theory is, of course, even though children of a lighteyed/darkeyed union can be either lighteyed or darkeyed, what are the odds that both of her only children would be born darkeyed?

It seems unlikely that one of her children wouldn't have turned out lighteyed or one-eyed...

I will say though, while I enjoy playing witht the idea that Hesina is secretly a lighteyes, I don't like the idea that Kaladin is Dalinar's son.  Seems to bit too much of a stretch.

I think having a lighteyed mother would cheapen Kaladin's ascent. The link he is a Radiant simply because he has "lighteyed blood" would be too easy to make. 

I must be dumb, but who the heck is R and who is L?

Rhaegar targaryen and Lyanna Stark, from Game of Thrones. One of most popular fan theories has it that they're the parents of Jon Snow. The theory is called R+L=J.

Rhaegar targaryen and Lyanna Stark, from Game of Thrones. One of most popular fan theories has it that they're the parents of Jon Snow. The theory is called R+L=J.

I know this, but I fail to grasp the point it makes within the discussion on Kaladin.

I know this, but I fail to grasp the point it makes within the discussion on Kaladin.

If we're talking fictional character's mysterious parentage, R+L=[X] must appear at some point of the discussion. I think it's a new Internet law, I've seen this joke three times already.  ^_^

I do have a pet theory that Hesina's parents are a Light/Dark pairing. Thus why she seems learned and why Lirin was so intimidated to see them.

This WoB seems to support your notion, specifically I would guess that Kaladin's maternal grandmother was Lighteyed:

Interview: Jan 6th, 2015 lightningrani (Tumblr)
Can you tell me anything about Kaladin’s maternal grandparents?
Brandon Sanderson
Let's just say that his mother—you're asking a very astute question—gave up more than most people gave up in that city to go be what she became. She's definitely fallen in social standing since her childhood. She took a hit.
Tags
Edited by Iron Eyes