Nightblood on Roshar

iStarreh

So at the end of Words of Radiance Szeth gets revived by some mysterious person (Herald?) and is given a Shardblade. When he picks it up he hears "Hello would you like to destroy some evil today?" which is what Nightblood says when picked up. So I'm quite confused about how Nightblood has ended up on Roshar? Can the Heralds travel between planets? Any info would help.

Thanks.

Hello :) The 17th Shard Discussion forum isn't the right place for this topic. This forum is just for site related issues. However, I have moved this to the Stormlight Archive forum.

If you aren't aware, there are a great many Worldhoppers in the cosmere! In fact, Vasher is in Words of Radiance too.

Hello :) The 17th Shard Discussion forum isn't the right place for this topic. This forum is just for site related issues. However, I have moved this to the Stormlight Archive forum.

If you aren't aware, there are a great many Worldhoppers in the cosmere! In fact, Vasher is in Words of Radiance too.

Oh sorry I'm not on this often finding it a bit hard to navigate thanks for moving it. Question. Is Vasher Hoid. 

My question mark is not currently working that's why there wasn't one there.

Vasher isn't Hoid. (In fact, Hoid shows up in Warbreaker too!)

I think you should skim through the WoR interludes and try to find Vasher in there, it's more fun that way :P

If you don't want to do that, look below:

It's Zahel. He keeps using color idioms, and can sense Syl.

I think you should skim through the WoR interludes and try to find Vasher in there, it's more fun that way :P

Oh wow!!!

This thing, I did not know it!!   (poor attempt at horneater accent)

Oh wow!!!

This thing, I did not know it!!   (poor attempt at horneater accent)

Another interesting tidbit that you might not know. Although a word of warning, it may be considered a spoiler since it is not in any of the books, it was just something Brandon Sanderson said during a Q&A. 

Crap, I'm not sure how to do the spoiler tag on these forums, so I will just link you to the Q&A of interest. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/2ytg2h/-/ct6ccoe?context=3 

Holy rust!

But wait I'm missing something here. Why is Vasher in Roshar?

Is he a worldhopper too?

Yes, and he probably was one even before Warbreaker, since

Nightblood's design was based on the concept of a Shardblade.

EDIT: Also, I don't think anyone knows why he's there. He doesn't seem like a member of the 17th Shard. It could well be 100% because he doesn't want to have to survive on Breath (and WoB suggests as much, as I recall; although, I don't have the WoB at hand).

Edited by DSC01

And he is without Vivenna, last seen adventuring together. Likely, something bad happened to her.

Maybe after that he grew disgusted with living on Breath and moved to Roshar permanently?

How far before SA is Warbreaker?

Maybe she decided to stay and protect her planet. Or she died of old age. I'm not sure her breath skill also grants her inmortality.

Warbreaker takes place after HoA, but other than that it's uncertain.

I think Vasher wanted to avoid using Breaths to live, and that he lost Nightblood after arriving. But it's also possible that he lost Nightblood before, and went to Roshar to track it down. There's a tiny possibility that Vasher left Nightblood on Nalthis, but then it found its way there in some other way... Which would be interesting for sure. Unlikely, but interesting.

I'm not so sure something terrible happened to Vivenna. If she didn't gather enough Breaths to halt aging, she may just have passed on. Also, they weren't necessarily inseparable just because of their experiences in Warbreaker. I think she may become the monarch of Huth and/or Kuth... Maybe this is just wishful thinking though :P I don't want terrible things to happen to her :(

I guess we'll see, once new Warbreaker books come out in a long, long time...

Lots of Worldhopping going on. When I found out about the Cosmere, I literally stared out my window because it was so amazing (I found Nahz in Secret History, and it was mind-blowing). Then, I came to the Forums and was like "Oh man. I know like nothing!".

I'll try.

I've gathered that we still don't know the time-line for the books? If so, S.A. could happen before or after Warbreaker. If it happens before then it would make sense why Vienna isn't there, but not for why Nightblood is separated from Vasher/Zahel. If after, it could mean that Vasher (as others have said) permanently moved to Roshar because he no longer wanted to live on Breath, then Nightblood was stolen/lost/separated from him. It could also be that Vasher simply came to Roshar to help stop the Everstorm.

There are a lot of possibilities for why Vienna isn't on Roshar with Vasher. She could have stayed on her home planet and become some kind of influential person, died, she's on a different planet, S.A. is before Warbreaker, or she's on Roshar and we haven't realized it yet.

We know some timelines: http://coppermind.net/wiki/Chronology(lots of cosmere-wide spoilers!)

Among other things it says that Warbreaker happened before WoK. I hadn't actually considered the possibility that Warbreaker could have been after Stormlight, but that would have been pretty interesting... It would have explained what Vasher did between the Manywar and the events that lead to him killing Arsteel.

It's also worth noting that

we have a WoB that indicates that Vasher knew about shardblades before creating Nightblood, so it looks like he's been to Roshar before. Makes me wonder where else he has been. Or if he learned about Roshar from someone else.

It's also worth noting that

we have a WoB that indicates that Vasher knew about shardblades before creating Nightblood, so it looks like he's been to Roshar before. Makes me wonder where else he has been. Or if he learned about Roshar from someone else.

You know, that makes me wonder if Vasher or one of the other five scholars simply met Khriss (or Hoid) and learned stuff from her, rather than traveling himself at that point.

jW

Edited by Jondesu

Holy rust!

But wait I'm missing something here. Why is Vasher in Roshar?

Is he a worldhopper too?

Stormlight is easier to acquire than breaths. I'm guessing Vasher felt bad for taking people's breaths to live, this is the more humane way.

Stormlight is easier to acquire than breaths. I'm guessing Vasher felt bad for taking people's breaths to live, this is the more humane way.

Breath is also expensive. Stormlight is free. Or, at least, it has been for all of Vasher's life so far.

Fun fact: Vasher was originally written in the first draft of the Stormlight Archive, and Warbreaker was written in part because Brandon wanted to write his backstory.

Edited by Nyali

Wow. I've just realized I literally know nothing about the Cosmere. I'm confused as to what WoB and WoR and such are...

WoB: Words of Brandon. Clarifications/answers/trivia that come from Brandon Sanderson outside of his books.

WoR: Words of Radiance. Shorthand used to refer to the second Stormlight Archives book.

WoB: Word of Brandon. It is the acronym used on the forum when you are quoting something Brandon said at a signing etc.

WoR: Words of Radiance. The second book in the Stormlight Archive series. A lot of the time people will abbreviate book titles in their post.

Wow. I've just realized I literally know nothing about the Cosmere. I'm confused as to what WoB and WoR and such are...

WoB means Word of Brandon, info on Cosmere Brandon gives us on cons, signings etc. WoR and others are book titles - Words of Radiance in this case. There's a ton of abbreviations for book titles used around here - trust me, understanding all of them comes with practice  :lol: . I'd advise this if you want to do some catching up.

Edit: ha! Ninja'd by three people already...

Edited by Rasarr

• Chaos locked this topic