Sanderson Parallels

So, I was thinking about Spider-Man's backstory: Gets powers. A family member is killed by these powers, changing the way he lives and acts. He becomes a hero, trying to fix first his mess, then the messes of the world. Despite all this, he's first with a joke or quip. Then I realized how similar it was to Shallan's story, and I began seeing more parallels: they both hide behind a mask to protect the ones they love, are intelligent and gifted with pictures, etc.

So I began thinking of other parallels, specifically Avengers, but any others are welcome.

Hulk and Vasher: Issues with anger/grumpiness, got the power to wipe out everything around in an experiment involving a weapon, etc.

Any others people can think of?

Later years Dalinar is somewhat reminiscent of Captain America: honorable, patriotic, devoted to doing what is right regardless of the cost and, now that he has Stormlight, some super powers as well!

But yeah, at this point almost every story that can be told, has been told. Sanderson's genius is that he can take an old story, add some interesting spin to it and voila! We love it! 

Hulk and Vasher: Issues with anger/grumpiness, got the power to wipe out everything around in an experiment involving a weapon, etc.

This makes a lot of sense. I can't believe I didn't think of it before. I am a fan of both of them. Edited by Eccentric Hero

• Chaos locked this topic