Games Of Thrones

Quiver

Watching the episodes the moment. As a Greyjoy fan?

Yay! Theon is traumatised!

I actually really like that moment. The close in shots of his face, his discomfort... I'm glad that the psychological trauma is still there, and that shot was good enough that I sort of feel like having Yara draw attention to it was too on the nose...

But also, Yay. I sure am glad we had Yara making out with a slave girl!

Look, gender and sexism is a tough nut to cracking in our world, doubly so in a fantastical medieval one. And the Ironborn are a misogynistic, toxic culture who practice the murder (and worse) of women as a religious rite.

So Ironborn woman making out with a woman? Yeah, okay, I can see the justification In-Universe, ironprice and all that...

But seriously Got? Would it have ruined verisimilitude to have Yara make out with a chained dude instead? Far as I recall, Asha (appears) to be straight in the book. Was giving her a lady to kiss instead that important?

Watching the episodes the moment. As a Greyjoy fan?

Yay! Theon is traumatised!

I actually really like that moment. The close in shots of his face, his discomfort... I'm glad that the psychological trauma is still there, and that shot was good enough that I sort of feel like having Yara draw attention to it was too on the nose...

But also, Yay. I sure am glad we had Yara making out with a slave girl!

Look, gender and sexism is a tough nut to cracking in our world, doubly so in a fantastical medieval one. And the Ironborn are a misogynistic, toxic culture who practice the murder (and worse) of women as a religious rite.

So Ironborn woman making out with a woman? Yeah, okay, I can see the justification In-Universe, ironprice and all that...

But seriously Got? Would it have ruined verisimilitude to have Yara make out with a chained dude instead? Far as I recall, Asha (appears) to be straight in the book. Was giving her a lady to kiss instead that important?

I think that Ironborn are quite more progressive in those kind of things than the rest of Seven Kingdoms. Cause you know, sailors and pirates, the seafolk whose way of living includes saliing around the world, ravaging and pillaging and then spending it all in taverns when they reach port...

I am not sure how it was in the books, but Ironborn strike me more as "who's worthy" than "who's a man".

Also, poor Theon. Sitting in a tavern surrounded by beatiful naked ladies, able to feel the heat, unable to do anything about it... what only reminds him of what he's been through. Let's just hope that he's a real Ironborn: What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder and stronger.

First: WHERE IS MY BRAN/MEERA/COLDHANDS BENJEN PLOT

Hound plotline was a little rushed, couldn't they have stretched it out throughout multiple episodes instead of dumping it all in this one?

Sansa is writing to Petyr, isn't she?

Jon was acting a little bit like he wasn't a Lord Commander a while back. He was doing such a good job in leading Night's Watch (his decisions which got him murdered aside - he did do a good job as a leader) and now he acted like he lost his confidence.

I wonder if we would hear from Arya this season. For all I know this could be the end of her plotline for now.

I'm in a strange position: I like both Jaime and Blackfish... let's see how this goes :ph34r:

Edited by Oversleep

I think that Ironborn are quite more progressive in those kind of things than the rest of Seven Kingdoms. Cause you know, sailors and pirates, the seafolk whose way of living includes saliing around the world, ravaging and pillaging and then spending it all in taverns when they reach port...

I am not sure how it was in the books, but Ironborn strike me more as "who's worthy" than "who's a man".

Also, poor Theon. Sitting in a tavern surrounded by beatiful naked ladies, able to feel the heat, unable to do anything about it... what only reminds him of what he's been through. Let's just hope that he's a real Ironborn: What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder and stronger.

First: WHERE IS MY BRAN/MEERA/COLDHANDS BENJEN PLOT

Hound plotline was a little rushed, couldn't they have stretched it out throughout multiple episodes instead of dumping it all in this one?

Sansa is writing to Petyr, isn't she?

Jon was acting a little bit like he wasn't a Lord Commander a while back. He was doing such a good job in leading Night's Watch (his decisions which got him murdered aside - he did do a good job as a leader) and now he acted like he lost his confidence.

I wonder if we would hear from Arya this season. For all I know this could be the end of her plotline for now.

I'm in a strange position: I like both Jaime and Blackfish... let's see how this goes :ph34r:

The Ironborn do very much follow a 'who is Worthy' mindset...it's just that their culture equates 'worth' with very old school, hyper-masculine patriarchy warrior culture stuff. Women have a role and a worth by the Old Ways, but it's secondary to men.

(And secondary to a very specific type of man... but again, Ironborn culture can be strange and very often contradictory. But in the books, the fact that Asha is a woman is one of the reasons her uncle won't support her at the Kingsmoot...despite her being charismatic, popular with her crew, and Er being all-but-announced as Balon's chosen Heir.

Honestly, I didn't miss Bran this week, but that's mostly because Lyanna Mormont is the most awesome character to ever appear on the show..

I assume Sansa is writing to Littlefinger. With Jon though... I wonder why no one in the North has called him out as a deserter yet? I mean, we know he died and came vack and all, but they don't know it. So kinda surprised no one has said anything to him about it yet...

But, considering his actions got him murdered? I can see that putting a crimp on his confidence somewhat.: P

Gotta love Reddit...

Spoiler (the content of Sansa's Letter):

sansa.jpg?87d3b1

[…] (you promised) to protect me […] Now you have a chance to fulfill your promise […] (Knights) of the Vale are under your command. Ride (north) for Winterfell. (Lend) us your aid and I shall see to it that you are […] rewarded.”

Edited by Iron Eyes

Gotta love Reddit...

Spoiler (the content of Sansa's Letter):

sansa.jpg?87d3b1

Hmm.

Honestly, not surprised. Who else could she be writing too?

Frankly, it would be a lot more surprising if Littlefinger wasn't involved, but...

Wow. I feel like I must come across as really antagonistic to this show and the fans. Sorry! :unsure:  Not my intent, at all...

Hmm.

Honestly, not surprised. Who else could she be writing too?

Frankly, it would be a lot more surprising if Littlefinger wasn't involved, but...

Wow. I feel like I must come across as really antagonistic to this show and the fans. Sorry! :unsure:  Not my intent, at all...

Nope, honestly never really got that impression, I always just viewed you as someone who applies critical analysis to things that interest him, nothing wrong with that.

I also had suspected that the letter was to Petyr and detailed more or less what it did but it is always nice to know for sure.

Edit:

No One:

A girl is Arya Stark of Winterfell and I'm going home.
Edited by Iron Eyes

(No One episode)

I've mixed feelings. I quite liked the Arya chase...

But then I rethought all of that and decided it's way too impossible for me. Even a Pewterarm wouldn't be capable of what Arya did today. And this is Game Of Thrones where people wouldn't have Plot Armors, would they? Well...

First of all, it's quite a feat that Arya managed to get out of the water and get back to the theatre with a wound like that. She was repeatedly stabbed in the stomach and gut wounds are extremely nasty. And she also falled into a canal full of filth, including excrements. That's a sure death in the long time, given how little is known about medicine and how unlikely she was to receive even that basic level treatment the maesters are capable of. She probably had punctured organs, internal bleeding, messed up intestines. Hello infection!

With a wound like that it was very surprising she was capable of getting out of the bed, more so of jumping out of the balcony. However, the very moment she connected the ground her insides would just go to the Damnation. But she landed and had no problem with running after that. I mean, that was quite a height to jump from even for somebody who has done some parkour and Arya did not. What's more, she was severely wounded and weakened and she still managed to do a fine landing without any experience whatsoever (nothing twisted, nothing broken!). Then she runs, her insides undergo another Desolation, she tumbles more, her insides are nonexistant at that moment; then she falls down the stairs, something which is quite deadly on its own, but she doesn't have anything broken, or twisted or even bruised from that. Not to mention her poor insides.

Even assuming she manages to kill the other girl in that state of body (believeable since she learned to fight while blinded... I don't know why are we even assuming that The Faceless assassins of the House of White and Black, presumably one of the best assassins in the world don't undergo a training of fighting while blinded? But let's let Arya keep her edge here) it's completely unbelieveable she doesn't succumb to her wounds after adrenaline goes down.
But no, she is completely fine by then, skins the face, decides to go in that state right into the enemy territory, which would be quite suicidial (not to mention it's very stupid) even if she was in perfect health!

I don't have problems with her being free to go, that's not what's unbelevieable here. Do writers of the show even read what they wrote?

Edited by Oversleep
Still getting used to the new spacing

I strongly agree with Oversleep. The way Arya run reminded me of this woman from Prometheus that run like all the time, minutes after a c-section (the machine closed the wound with a futuristic stapler... yeah). Both were so unrealistic that it killed the scenes.

Spoiler

Now I'm excited about Danerys coming back with her dragon to obliterate the fleet around Mereen.

The "game" Ramsay played instantly reminded me of the "games" played in concentration camps... But then the comparison waved at me and pointed out that it's way easier to avoid being hit by an arrow than a bullet. So, Rickon, care to explain why you ran in a straight line?

But nevertheless, a well executed trap. Simultaneously getting rid of the rightful heir to the Winterfell (as far as everybody know) and luring the leader of the enemy army out in the open. I just wonder why didn't Ramsay shower Jon with arrows, instead deciding to go with a cavalry charge? (BTW, nice bait & switch - I was actually worried that Stark charge would be too late for Jon)

Also, the one-on-one Jon and Ramsay was awesome.

Edited by Oversleep

I do believe that Battle of the Bastards is my favorite cinematic battle sequence to date. In fact, cinematically, this episode was gorgeous, start to finish. The silouette of Davos atop the snow-covered hill the night before the battle... the calvalry charge... the master's ships doing their thing.. and of course that amazing tracking shot of Jon.

Definitely my favorite episode this season, and definitely one of my favorites of the whole series to date.

Despite being perhaps the most predictable episode to date, I still found myself enjoying it. I don't think it's the season redeemer that everyone was hoping for, but it was nonetheless a good, if not great episode. The battle could not have been better.

I do think that the 1v1 was a tad theatrical, as was Gandalf, whoops, Littlefinger, riding in to save the day. Probably the best episode of Season 6 so far, but I can't forgive the predictability of it all. I think it would have been absolutely hilarious, although tragic, if Littlefinger didn't show up and Jon was just slaughtered. But I suppose the good guys have got to win eventually. Also, Rickon. I mean I get that he's never been important, but you can't actually expect us to feel anything for his death. We get a shot of Jon being devastated, which is appropriate considering they're brothers, but we didn't get enough time with Rickon to feel Jon's sorrow. What a waste of a character.

Edited by Patar

I enjoyed episode 9, however I wouldn't say it was my favorite of the season... Too many things annoyed me during the Battle of Bastards. The scenes in Mereen however, were just great, CGI of dragons was better than I expected :D

Spoiler

In detail, I really enjoyed the negotiations with the Masters. The moment when Daenerys said that they're here to negotiate Masters surrender was predictable, but still made me very happy :D Her later scene of negotiating with Yara and Theon was fun, too. Now I wonder if Euron will have the magical horn that he had in books...

Now, to Winterfell. Here are my complaints?

1. Why didn't Sansa tell Jon about Littlefinger? If he knew, there even might be a chance for help, things might go less bloody.
  2. Wun Wun... Why the hell didn't he have some kind of a weapon and better armor? If they cut down a tree and made a huge club for him, there wouldn't be a way for Bolton's forces to surround them like they did. With Wun Wun's size, few swings with such a weapon and there is a huge gap in enemy line.
  3. If Wun Wun pun on 3-4 layers of leather on his shoulders and head there would be no way for enemy arrows to do him any serious harm. Give him a simple wooden shield and he would be just unstoppable. But noooo, he has to go barehanded wearing the clothes he's wearing every day :/ I'll miss you Wun Wun :(
  4. Come on Rickon, how about you think for a second and don't run in straight line when someone is shooting at you?! If you do that, Ramsay would probably order all his man to shoot, but still that would give you better chances :/
  5. Joooon, Sansa told you not to do what Ramsay wants you to do and what do you do?! Exactly what Ramsay wants you to do! Come on, you're smarter than that!

Apart from that, the battle was good. For me, it's not in the same league as Lord of the Rings or Braveheart, but it was very good and caused a lot of emotions.

And, if I'm talking about emotions... this shot... the best shot of the episode, maybe even season... All the feels :< Melisandre, I think you're in trouble!

Spoiler

Game-of-Thrones-Battle-of-the-Bastards-D

On June 20, 2016 at 4:45 PM, Oversleep said:
  Hide contents

The "game" Ramsay played instantly reminded me of the "games" played in concentration camps... But then the comparison waved at me and pointed out that it's way easier to avoid being hit by an arrow than a bullet. So, Rickon, care to explain why you ran in a straight line?

But nevertheless, a well executed trap. Simultaneously getting rid of the rightful heir to the Winterfell (as far as everybody know) and luring the leader of the enemy army out in the open. I just wonder why didn't Ramsay shower Jon with arrows, instead deciding to go with a cavalry charge? (BTW, nice bait & switch - I was actually worried that Stark charge would be too late for Jon)

Also, the one-on-one Jon and Ramsay was awesome.

Spoiler

To a competent archer (which Ramsay obviously is), running in a zig-zag is only a moderate extra difficulty, unless you can be truly random and unpredictable.  Rickon was terrified and totally out of his element, so even if he hadn't run in a straight line, I doubt it would have ended up mattering.

jW

1 hour ago, Jondesu said:
  Hide contents

To a competent archer (which Ramsay obviously is), running in a zig-zag is only a moderate extra difficulty, unless you can be truly random and unpredictable.  Rickon was terrified and totally out of his element, so even if he hadn't run in a straight line, I doubt it would have ended up mattering.

jW

Precisely!

Spoiler

And Rickon had a clear destination: he was heading towards Jon Snow. Essentially, the result would have been the same, except Jon would have been closer to the enemy armies.

On 6/27/2016 at 4:31 AM, Pestis the Spider said:

My first thought after episode 10:

Hide contents

OMG, R+L is real!!!

My second thought after episode 10:

Hide contents

Actually, babies are born with blue eyes. Fail, baby Jon. :P

Oh well.

Well, blame labor laws.  You can't get a baby on set to film until they're at least three months old.  That's why "newborn" babies on TV and movies always look terrifyingly huge.

That's true. Not all babies are born with blue eyes. Even among white babies there are exceptions, and the darker the skin, the more melanin, and therefore the baby's eyes tend to be darker. But for the eyes of a baby to be that pitch black? I think that's slightly impropable. But I am not a baby-expert, so I'm not 100% sure. :)

And then there is this thing that these baby's eyes look totally CGI or at least copy-pasted. :P

Babies eyes aren't technically blue, they are very very dark blue... It is nearly black, really. This color progressively settles into their final color, a process which can take a few hours or a few months. I could see my babies eyes lightening after a few hours of life and my own eyes apparently turned brown very rapidly. I could tell on day one both my kids would most probably have light eyes, but I had to wait to get the definite confirmation.

So brown eyed baby Jon is quite plausible.

On 6/27/2016 at 5:31 AM, Pestis the Spider said:

My first thought after episode 10:

Hide contents

OMG, R+L is real!!!

My second thought after episode 10:

Hide contents

Actually, babies are born with blue eyes. Fail, baby Jon. :P

Oh well.

I have an alternative theory. After all, GRRM has shown a tendency to shy away from the predictable, even, IMO, when it would be the better story choice.

Spoiler

I don't think she was naming Jon "Aemon Targaryen" as some have suggested by trying to lip read, and I don't think he's Rhaegar's son.

I think Jon Snow is actually Aemon Targaryen's (the Mad King, if I'm remembering names right) son, illegitimate of course, through rape.

Keep in mind I read the books primarily, and have just watched clips of things that weren't in the books, like a lot of this season. I object to a lot of the content they show, so I wouldn't be watching the full episodes, and could have missed things because of that.

jW

So. Two guys walked into work, and started spoiling the whole ending.

And then acting like R+L=J wasn't a twist the Internet figured out years ago.

Then insisted that Cersei has a legitimate right to ascend as Queen.

What.