Who is your favorite character (and chapter, battle or part of the SA)?

On 5/6/2016 at 8:06 AM, Nyali said:

My favorite scene: Shallan and Kaladin in the chasms. Specifically this part (format and grammar may be off since I'm copying this from the audio book):

Words of Radiance - Chapter 71

Hide contents

"We'll be fine. You'll see." That darkened his mood further. "You still think I'm too optimistic," Shallan said.

"It's not your fault," Kaladin said. "I'd rather be like you. I'd rather not have lived the life I have. I would that the world was full of only people like you, Shallan Davar."

"People who don't understand pain."

"Oh, all people understand pain," Kaladin said. "That's not what I'm talking about, it's..."

"The sorrow," Shallan said softly, "of watching a life crumble? Of struggling to grab it and hold on, but feeling hope become stringy sinew and blood beneath your fingers as everything collapses?"

"Yes."

"The sensation, it's not sorrow, but something deeper. Of being broken. Of being crushed so often and so hatefully that emotion becomes something you can only wish for. If only you could cry, because then you'd feel something. Instead, you feel nothing. Just, haze and smoke inside, like you're already dead."

He stopped in the chasm. She turned and looked to him. "The crushing guilt," she said, "of being powerless, of wishing they'd hurt you instead of those around you, of screaming and scrambling and hating as those you love are ruined, popped like a boil. And you have to watch their joy seeping away while you can't. Do. Anything. They break the ones you love and not you, and you plead, 'Can't you just beat me instead?'"

"Yes," he whispered.

Shallan nodded, holding his eyes. "Yes. It would be nice if no one in the world knew of those things, Kaladin Stormblessed. I agree. With everything I have."

He saw it in her eyes, the anguish, the frustration, the terrible nothing that clawed inside and sought to smother her. She knew. It was there, inside. She had been broken. Then, she smiled. Oh storms, she smiled anyway. It was the single most beautiful thing he'd seen in his entire life.

Also the part in Chapter 74 where they share their life stories with each other. I'm not going to quote the whole thing, but:

Words of Radiance - Chapter 74

Reveal hidden contents

"You had never left your family's lands before?" "Yes." "And you went to rob one of the smartest women in the world?" "Uh, yes."

Cam here to say this.  Saw it was already said.

• 2 weeks later...

My favourite character has to be Jasnah (Dalinar is a very close second). She's intelligent, witty, loves her family and has a thirst for knowledge; I love how Sanderson has created her and provided her with layers and an air of mystery (her book can't come fast enough for me).

As for scenes, it's almost too many to choose from! An instant favourite of course is when Bridge 4 saves the Kholins, as others have said I got chills all over. Another great scene is Shallan and Jasnah talking about the Parshmen in relation to voidbringers... the tension was fantastic and I could feel both of their horror at the realization of how dangerous a position they could be in in the near future.

It's already been said but one of my favorite scenes was Adolin's fight against the shardbearers and Kaladin jumping in. I think that was also the only Kaladin scene where I wished I could see the fight from the point of view of a spectator instead of from Kaladin's point of view.

• 2 months later...

YAY! I found a favorite discussion topic!
ALRIGHT! My favorite scene/battle is when Dalinar saves Elhokar's life from the Chasm fiend. The whole "His Brother's son was in danger. Nothing else mattered" thing made me tear up! I LOVED how it switches to Adolin and you hear the amazement in his voice as " and he caught it!" This makes me scream in righteous victory every time.

42 minutes ago, Radiant_Jaeger said:

YAY! I found a favorite discussion topic!
ALRIGHT! My favorite scene/battle is when Dalinar saves Elhokar's life from the Chasm fiend. The whole "His Brother's son was in danger. Nothing else mattered" thing made me tear up! I LOVED how it switches to Adolin and you hear the amazement in his voice as " and he caught it!" This makes me scream in righteous victory every time.

And yet each time read this scene, I end up thinking Adolin should matter more to Dalinar than Elhokar, so I read it as bittersweet. 

1 hour ago, maxal said:

And yet each time read this scene, I end up thinking Adolin should matter more to Dalinar than Elhokar, so I read it as bittersweet. 

Should he though? Is it the most sucessful of your children that you support the most, or the ones who need your help the most. Elhokar struggles more than Adolin does, and that is why he's Dalinar's Tien. It's  at this moment where we knew that, and Elhokar NEEDS Dalinar more. I can't wait to see how he develops. also,

Spoiler

I hope the Stormfather ends up giving Dalinar Shardplate just so we can see another one of these moments.

Edited by Radiant_Jaeger

1 hour ago, Radiant_Jaeger said:

Should he though? Is it the most sucessful of your children that you support the most, or the ones who need your help the most. Elhokar struggles more than Adolin does, and that is why he's Dalinar's Tien. It's  at this moment where we knew that, and Elhokar NEEDS Dalinar more. I can't wait to see how he develops. also,

Reveal hidden contents

I hope the Stormfather ends up giving Dalinar Shardplate just so we can see another one of these moments.

It is all a matter of perspective. Dalinar barely reacts to Adolin being tossed 50 feet into the air and crashing down onto the ground. He reacts more strongly to Elhokar being threatened even when Elhokar should have been able to fend for himself and was only in the predicament because he is an arrogant idiot. Someone points it out onto the Reddit reread: I was glad to see I was not the only one who latched on it.

This isn't the right thread for lengthy explanations, but I disagree Elhokar needs Dalinar the most. Also, he isn't really Dalinar's Tien (this was just Kaladin's perspective), he is the physical representation of Dalinar's guilt towards the jealousy he spent a lifetime feeling for his brother. This becomes more obvious in The Thrill.

As a parent, you ought to support all of your children and you shouldn't allow yourself to focus exclusively onto the apparently less successful ones. You should adapt your parental strategy to best suit each of your child, but you shouldn't ignore the fact being "good at something you value" does not mean that child never needs your support.

My thoughts are Adolin actually is the one who needs Dalinar the most (not for protection, but for growth, for self-acceptance), but Dalinar thinks it is Elhokar and Renarin who needs him the most.

1 hour ago, maxal said:

It is all a matter of perspective. Dalinar barely reacts to Adolin being tossed 50 feet into the air and crashing down onto the ground. He reacts more strongly to Elhokar being threatened even when Elhokar should have been able to fend for himself and was only in the predicament because he is an arrogant idiot. Someone points it out onto the Reddit reread: I was glad to see I was not the only one who latched on it.

This isn't the right thread for lengthy explanations, but I disagree Elhokar needs Dalinar the most. Also, he isn't really Dalinar's Tien (this was just Kaladin's perspective), he is the physical representation of Dalinar's guilt towards the jealousy he spent a lifetime feeling for his brother. This becomes more obvious in The Thrill.

As a parent, you ought to support all of your children and you shouldn't allow yourself to focus exclusively onto the apparently less successful ones. You should adapt your parental strategy to best suit each of your child, but you shouldn't ignore the fact being "good at something you value" does not mean that child never needs your support.

My thoughts are Adolin actually is the one who needs Dalinar the most (not for protection, but for growth, for self-acceptance), but Dalinar thinks it is Elhokar and Renarin who needs him the most.

Well Adolin wasn't in as much danger, being tossed 50 ft is more survivable then being crushed by a chasm fiend. I like Elhokar because despite his flaws, he keeps trying. I don't doubt that we will see some MAJOR Adolin/Dalinar Development in Oathbringer

Spoiler

Especially with Adolin's murder of Sadeas, which Dalinar might want to investigate since they used to be friends.

Also this is a good topic, you should post one about it!

2 hours ago, Radiant_Jaeger said:

Well Adolin wasn't in as much danger, being tossed 50 ft is more survivable then being crushed by a chasm fiend. I like Elhokar because despite his flaws, he keeps trying. I don't doubt that we will see some MAJOR Adolin/Dalinar Development in Oathbringer

Hide contents

Especially with Adolin's murder of Sadeas, which Dalinar might want to investigate since they used to be friends.

Also this is a good topic, you should post one about it!

Oh... There are quite a few topics on the subject already. I a hardly needed to start those topics even if I actively participate in them.

22 minutes ago, Radiant_Jaeger said:

@maxal What was your favorite battle/fight scene?

The 4 on 1 duel and Adolin's last fight with Szeth, the one where he nearly gets killed. I love this last fight because I truly thought he was a goner and because I felt it was filled with emotion.

My favorite character is Dalinar Kholin. The guy has become my favorite character from not only the Stormlight Archive but from any book series I have read. Favorite battel scean hmmmm The duel that Kaladin jumps in to Help Adolin was probley one of my favorites 

• 2 weeks later...

I think everyone has said my favorite scenes (which tells me I'm in the right place) but I'll say mine anyway. 

Favorite character has to be a tie between Dalinar and Syl. Dalinar because he is unwavering in his resolve and never compromises his honor. I admire that A LOT. Syl because she's always trying to get Kaladin to pull his head out of his arse. She saves him from himself in a lot of ways. Like a guardian angel almost.

Favorite scene has to be when Szeth is going to kill the king of Jah Kaved and gets ambushed by 4 more shard bearers. My heart was racing reading that scene. All I could think of was "what a complete badass." 

6 minutes ago, KnightofLight said:

I think everyone has said my favorite scenes (which tells me I'm in the right place) but I'll say mine anyway. 

Favorite character has to be a tie between Dalinar and Syl. Dalinar because he is unwavering in his resolve and never compromises his honor. I admire that A LOT. Syl because she's always trying to get Kaladin to pull his head out of his arse. She saves him from himself in a lot of ways. Like a guardian angel almost.

Favorite scene has to be when Szeth is going to kill the king of Jah Kaved and gets ambushed by 4 more shard bearers. My heart was racing reading that scene. All I could think of was "what a complete badass." 

Not to ruin the moment but aren't there only 2 full shardbearers and the king with a blade? 

I do like that scene though. Michael Kramer perfectly narrates it in the audiobook with all the bodies dropping from the ceiling until you get the impression that it is literally raining corpses

Just now, Radiant_Jaeger said:

Not to ruin the moment but aren't there only 2 full shardbearers and the king with a blade? 

I do like that scene though. Michael Kramer perfectly narrates it in the audiobook with all the bodies dropping from the ceiling until you get the impression that it is literally raining corpses

Hmmm I'll have to go check after work about the number of shardbearers. I was unsure about the number. He just made them look so unskilled and like children when fighting them. Such a intense scene

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

My favorite character is Kaladin.  I just love his character arc and what he represents.  Kaladin swearing his third oath is one of my favorite fictional moments ever.    

My favorite fight is when Kaladin fights Szeth (I know it's cliche, but it's so awesome).  It's such a cool fight to imagine.  It's also a turning point for both of their characters (more so for Szeth since his entire worldview is turned upside-down with the presence of a real Radiant).    

• 1 month later...

This may sound so chliché or dull or whatever, but my favorite is definitely Renarin. Yes, he is the underdog, the misunderstood, poor boy, but he deals with it in acceptance. He doesn't say "I'm going to change myself and become a great hero" neither is he being whiny about it but he simply knows of his limitation. To me, that makes him so likable and also interesting. Not to mention the question what broke him so much he became a Radiant? Due to his illness he'd be 'used' to problems, so what hit him so hard he broke? His mother? When did he bond his spren anyways? Was it when he thought his father and brother dead?

OK, and maybe it's also because I often chose background characters as my favorites because you have to read every line to nitpick some information on them which is something I really love. Maybe a bit creepy...

My favorite scene is by far in the end of WoK starting from when Sadeas leaves till the end of the fight. I was actually screaming, crying, laughing and doing other weird noises to a point that my mother came into my room checking on me. The second was the simple "Not you, son." of Dalinar in WoR. By the way, Dalinar is my second-favorite character for all the right reasons. Especially how he deals with his past. (And the flashbacks, like, come on...)

Edited by FeatherFawkes
Was slightly biased at first, so wanted to make myself clearer...

My Favorites...

Character: Szeth(Conflicted Characters are the best characters)

• Runner-Up: Rysn(She fascinates me the way everyone else seems enthralled by Lift)

Chapter: WoK Interlude I-9: Death Wears White
Battle: Szeth vs King Hanavanar and his Guards(How could I not? It's the "Windrunner trashing fools" fight we all want Kaladin to have in the future)

• Runner-Up: The Arena 4v1(Standard Favorite Scene Fodder)
  • Runner-Up: Szeth vs Gavilar(The Hanavanar fight but with an opponent who knows what he's doing)

I'm pleasantly surprised I have opinions people agree with this time around, given my favorite character in Game of Thrones is Cersei Lannister.

• Chaos locked this topic