Who is your favorite character (and chapter, battle or part of the SA)?

Hello everyone.

Everything is in the title, though I would like you to justify your answers.

Personnally, my favorite character is Wit (Hoid) because he makes a lot of funny jokes.

As for my favorite battle it's the one opposing Szeth and Dalinar at the end of WOR though I did like the one at the beginning.

Far and away for me is the scene when Bridge 4 charges to save Dalinar's army, exhausted stumbling Kaladin throws himself off the bridge and across the chasm, inhales Stormlight from the Parshendi beards and lands, saying the 2nd Windrunner Ideal. Stormlight explodes from him, knocking down the Parshendi and causing them to flee...

I still get chills when I read that scene (seriously, I just read it, got chills). 

Spoilers

My favorite character is a toss up between Kaladin (because I like reading about broken men overcoming obstacles) and Dalinar (because I have preference for the White Knight archetype)

My favorite scene so far has either been Dalinar freeing the bridgemen or When Kaladin rescues Adolin in the Arena. The former gave me chills and the latter I was on the edge of my seat screaming "Kaladin, jump in there!"

This is tough, I'm not sure I really have a favorite character in SA. In the Cosmere I really liked Marsh, Hrathern, and Vasher so I guess if I really had to pick someone I would say Zahel is my favorite in SA (I did enjoy him in WoR but my true liking for him comes from Warbreaker).

My favorite scene though (not really a battle but whatever) is when Tyn reads the message on the spanread and realizes that Shallan is Jasnah's ward and attacks her. Similar to what Green Hoodie Mistborn said, I get chills everytime I read the line "Difficult things, Yes. I believe I told you. I’ve learned that lesson already. Thank you.".

As theuntaintedchild said, the arena scene is great too. "Honor is dead, but I'll see what I can do" certainly qualifies as one of the 'chills' scenes.

Edited by Iron Eyes

Personally, my favorite character is Szeth.  I like the way he thinks, and the way his chracter is personified in general.  Also, I really enjoy reading all the fight scenes he has.  The description is wonderful, and I like reading the mechanics as he is fighting.  Plus, how cool is it to run on walls? Or the Ceiling? 

And my favorite scene has gotta be when Szeth is handed Nightblood.  Wondeful setup for that scene.  An 'Its all coming together' moment for me.  Also, I just loved how, if you had read warbreaker, you instantly knew what it was. "Do you want to destroy some evil today?"

Edited by Magestar

My favourite character is actually... Elhokar. Yep. I don't know why, but I really sympathize with the guy. It's like he's in way over his head - what with most of his family being badass and his father being a guy who's really hard to top - and doesn't have a lot of advantages that others do, plus his situation at the end of WoR seems to be setting him up for some interesting character development.

Favourite scene... I've got to say, I really loved all Adolin duels, but especially the four-on-one one. All of it. It's greatly paced, Adolin and Kaladin are so competent and awesome, and generally everything is so great. Second favourite would probably be Kaladin's rescue of Dalinar in WoK.

I said the szeth dalinar battle was my favorite because I really liked the way it was presented, especially the line "In that moment between storms- when the rain stilled and the winds drew in their breaths to blow- he danced with the slayer of kings, and somehow held his own."

Personally, my favorite character is Szeth.  I like the way he thinks, and the way his chracter is personified in general.  Also, I really enjoy reading all the fight scenes he has.  The description is wonderful, and I like reading the mechanics as he is fighting.  Plus, how cool is it to run on walls? Or the Ceiling? 

And my favorite scene has gotta be when Szeth is handed Nightblood.  Wondeful setup for that scene.  An 'Its all coming together' moment for me.  Also, I just loved how, if you had read warbreaker, you instantly knew what it was. "Do you want to destroy some evil today?"

Sadly Szeth being given the sword was spoiled for me somewhere on this site. (my fault entirely I was too curious about the cosmere concept before starting The Stormlight Archive). But I agree that it's a fantastic scene. I can imagine though that had I stumbled into it blindly I would have been as excited as I was when I read the scene where Hoid downs the allomantic metals

Edited by theuntaintedchild

Shallan, hands down. There's a reason my wife and I decided to give our daughter the middle name "Shallan" <.< We call her baby monitor "Pattern." We're such dorks.

(So far, she's living up to the name - her eyes are currently bright blue, she was smiling before 1 month, she was laughing at 2 months, she started signing at 4 months (only the word "diaper," but still), and now she's scooting (and very close to true crawling) at 6 months. We'll see what happens when she gets old enough for crayons! #proudmom)

Edited by Nyali

My favorite character is probably Shallan, and the scene where she kills Tyn stands out, but there are plenty of others too, like when she arrives at New Kholinar The Shattered Plains, and when Dalinar walks into her tent on the plains saying something like "so you're the one that has taken over my expedition". Also,t he second meeting with Mraize.  Also, in TWoK, when Dalinar beats up Elohkar and he tells Elohkar that he's courting Navani.

I would also say the whole Bridgburners save Dalinar event -- out on the plains and even moreso after they are back and we see how much integrity Dalinar really has.

There are a lot of scense I have bookmarked that are just fun to read again and again.

Sadly Szeth being given the sword was spoiled for me somewhere on this site. (my fault entirely I was too curious about the cosmere concept before starting The Stormlight Archive). But I agree that it's a fantastic scene. I can imagine though that had I stumbled into it blindly I would have been as excited as I was when I read the scene where Hoid downs the allomantic metals

Awww.  That's terrible.  But yes, it was.  Definitely a stand in awe moment.

This will come as a surprise to all  :ph34r: but my favorite character is Adolin  :o Shocking news!

Other have stated, in this thread and in others, how characters such as Kaladin and Renarin felt innovative due to the rarely depicted diseases (depression and autism) they have to work around with. For my part, why I salute the effort, it is Adolin I find innovative. Prince Charming, Knight in a White Armor, Rich Boy, the tropes evolving around him aren't new, but they typically indicate a shallow, superficial, nameless if not downright evil character. Rare are the fantasy authors playing with this trope or showing an endeavor to actually fleshed out this particular archetype. It gets even better as Adolin is an impulsive emotional person, another character type usually favored for evil lords, not nice boys with a daddy complex.

I also love Adolin because each time you think you have nailed him, you find another layer. I particularly enjoy reading characters who aren't as they initially seem, characters who aren't under-dogs working up the ladder, but genuinely good persons already standing at the top of the pyramid, but forced to reconsider their options. Fantasy often portrays the low-born who discovers himself powers, a magical weapon or a famous ancestor: it also enjoys showing up the uprising, the over-thrown of evil power, but it oh so rarely decides to portray how the previous lord is forced to adapt.

So huh it certainly won't come out as surprising if I state my favorite fighting scenes where Adolin facing both Eshonai and Szeth. Why? Because I didn't know if he would win, I didn't know if he was strong/good/powerful enough to beat them and... he wasn't. He got the chull beaten out of him, but he gave in all he's got without the re-assurance of stormlight or a spren or any magical artifact besides his own Blade which didn't do much to protect him. Those scenes also were more emotional to me which is why I prefer them to the Kaladin related one. Another mention should go to the 4 on 1 duel which was a awesome bout of fighting.

Shallan, hands down. There's a reason my wife and I decided to give our daughter the middle name "Shallan" <.< We call her baby monitor "Pattern." We're such dorks.

(So far, she's living up to the name - her eyes are currently bright blue, she was smiling before 1 month, she was laughing at 2 months, she started signing at 4 months (only the word "diaper," but still), and now she's scooting (and very close to true crawling) at 6 months. We'll see what happens when she gets old enough for crayons! #proudmom)

Wow this is awesome. I have never met parents who named their baby monitor before  :o  :ph34r: Babies are cute  :)

I love Shallan so much as a character because she's such a strong person. Horrible things have happened to her, but instead of letting them destroy her, she uses the experiences to forge her into something stronger.

Her powers are also super interesting to me because she doesn't just create illusions or transform things, she has the power to show people the best person they could be, and then gives them the opportunity to become that person. She sees the good in people, sees them not as they are, but as they could be. As they want to be. She has absolute empathy, which, to me, is utterly amazing given what's happened to her in her past.

For over ten years, my personal motto has been "Trust that you are beautiful." Shallan teaches people to have that trust in themselves, people who have given up on ever seeing themselves that way every again.

My wife likes her because my wife identifies pretty strongly with her. My wife is onto drawing and has a tendency to sit around and draw people. Many years ago, she played a LARP character who would literally shot down whenever there was a second of downtime and just draw people, in character, and give the drawings to the characters she drew portraits of.

And other stuff, like she would totally have completely inappropriate conversations about stuff like poop while on dates xD Poop is an important reason to marry someone!

Wow this is awesome. I have never met parents who named their baby monitor before :o:ph34r: Babies are cute :)

We're wierd moms xD (spoilers for WoR)

We keep joking that, with two moms, if she kills one, at least she has a backup <.<

My favorite character is Szeth--he is a character of conflict, both internal and external, and you can't help but pity him when you read his POV's. 

That said, my favorite moment in SA is Szeth's introduction in WOK. We knew from the prologue that Shardblades were wondrous weapons, but the very next chapter showed us that we were only scratching the surface of this 10 volume epic. Not only did we get a firsthand account of the astounding powers that Blades possessed, we also received a hint at the abilities this world's Investiture provided, which, in Szeth's hands, proved stunningly powerful. In fact, it took until the very end of the book with Kaladin's "Radianting" for another character to start to close the gap on his abilities. 

He's awesome. That palace murder-rampage scene is a great introduction.

Szeth in Jah Keved.

That was some high-level Surgebinding against practiced Shardbearers and some soldiers.

Actually, I think this is the scene that hints how destructive one Surgebinder can be without a Shardblade.

On second place it's pretty much all of TWoK and WoR... I just reread them for second time and I can't pick out a single scene to be my favourite, since everything is so good in its own way.

Szeth in Jah Keved.

That was some high-level Surgebinding against practiced Shardbearers and some soldiers.

Actually, I think this is the scene that hints how destructive one Surgebinder can be without a Shardblade.

I admit that this was my third favorite scene with Szeth in it.

I have to agree with Green Hoodie Mistborn on favorite scene...

I'm generally not a sappy kind of person (I'm often accused of being a little too stoic) but the whole, Kaladin overcoming his past betrayals, bellowing into nothingness about not being fooled again, and then embracing his heroic nature and charging in to save the day...actually makes me tear up.  The first time I tried to read it out loud to my wife (she refuses to read the books becuase I've already spoiled every sanderson book for her, and she's not a huge fantasy reader anyway) I couldn't get more than a few paragraphs in becuase I kept choking up.  Seriously, this part really gets me...I had an easier time delivering my best man speech at my big brother's wedding!

Favorite character has got to be Lift.  I know we haven't seen a whole lot from her...but come on...she's totally AWSOME!!!

Hard to choose between Dalinar and Kaladin. I find honor to be the best of the traits, and Kaladin and Dalinar have them both in plenty. They are both badasses too, brilliant fighters, intelligent and all that. 
I will go with Dalinar. He is wise, he is honorable, he is brave and he is a badass. effing all mighty chose him, that must count for something.  

My favorite scene is from the way of kings, it is from Dalinar's POV. When he loses all hope of survival, when he almost gave up and was ready to die, and then he sees bridge 4 struggling to defend the single bridge. "It was the single most bravest thing Dalinar ever saw". this line gives me chills.   

“Honor is dead,” a voice whispered from beside him.

Dalinar turned and looked at Captain Kaladin. He hadn’t noticed the bridgeman walking down the steps behind him.

Kaladin took a deep breath, then looked at Dalinar. “But I’ll see what I can do. If this goes poorly, take care of my men.” Spear in hand, he grabbed the edge of the wall and flung himself over, dropping to the sands of the arena floor below.

My favorite scene: Shallan and Kaladin in the chasms. Specifically this part (format and grammar may be off since I'm copying this from the audio book):

Words of Radiance - Chapter 71

"We'll be fine. You'll see." That darkened his mood further. "You still think I'm too optimistic," Shallan said.

"It's not your fault," Kaladin said. "I'd rather be like you. I'd rather not have lived the life I have. I would that the world was full of only people like you, Shallan Davar."

"People who don't understand pain."

"Oh, all people understand pain," Kaladin said. "That's not what I'm talking about, it's..."

"The sorrow," Shallan said softly, "of watching a life crumble? Of struggling to grab it and hold on, but feeling hope become stringy sinew and blood beneath your fingers as everything collapses?"

"Yes."

"The sensation, it's not sorrow, but something deeper. Of being broken. Of being crushed so often and so hatefully that emotion becomes something you can only wish for. If only you could cry, because then you'd feel something. Instead, you feel nothing. Just, haze and smoke inside, like you're already dead."

He stopped in the chasm. She turned and looked to him. "The crushing guilt," she said, "of being powerless, of wishing they'd hurt you instead of those around you, of screaming and scrambling and hating as those you love are ruined, popped like a boil. And you have to watch their joy seeping away while you can't. Do. Anything. They break the ones you love and not you, and you plead, 'Can't you just beat me instead?'"

"Yes," he whispered.

Shallan nodded, holding his eyes. "Yes. It would be nice if no one in the world knew of those things, Kaladin Stormblessed. I agree. With everything I have."

He saw it in her eyes, the anguish, the frustration, the terrible nothing that clawed inside and sought to smother her. She knew. It was there, inside. She had been broken. Then, she smiled. Oh storms, she smiled anyway. It was the single most beautiful thing he'd seen in his entire life.

Also the part in Chapter 74 where they share their life stories with each other. I'm not going to quote the whole thing, but:

Words of Radiance - Chapter 74

"You had never left your family's lands before?" "Yes." "And you went to rob one of the smartest women in the world?" "Uh, yes."

Edited by Nyali

My favorite scene: Shallan and Kaladin in the chasms. Specifically this part (format and grammar may be off since I'm copying this from the audio book):

This was my favorite scene in both books. The fight scenes at the end of TWOK and WOR are exciting but this scene... this scene changed two characters at once. I loved it so much.

My favorite characters are the spren. I love pattern as he tries to learn humor. I love Syl teasing Sygzil. I love the voice work from kate and michael for them when pattern was same the keyhole was "dark" or when Syl was telling kaladin "you're weird". Just...awesome.

My favorite characters are the spren. I love pattern as he tries to learn humor. I love Syl teasing Sygzil. I love the voice work from kate and michael for them when pattern was same the keyhole was "dark" or when Syl was telling kaladin "you're weird". Just...awesome.

Ohmygod, Kate Reading and Michael Kramer are amazing, especially with their voices for Syl and Pattern. In particular, I love how Kate conveys Pattern's buzzing tone and his thinking noises. I couldn't really picture either solidly until I heard her do it, and I was like, yes! That's how it sounds! Her voice for Wyndle is pretty amazing too. I love how dignified she makes him sound, especially beside her Lift. (WoR spoiler)

I'm looking forward to her voicing Ivory in book three :) The speech patterns Ivory has in one of the excerpts that was shared on Brandon's site was very interesting on its own. I can't wait to see what she does with it!

Speaking of Lift, that whole interlude was one of my favorite scenes for a bunch of reasons. I loved the reason the thieves broke into the palace - it felt realistic, like something real crooks would do. Steal the stuff that's easiest to sell and least missed. I loved the reason Lift broke into the palace. I loved the decision Lift makes near the end and what it says about her character given what's been presented so far. And mostly, I loved Lift and Wyndle's interactions. When I listened to that part with my wife, she was whimpering at the end for poor Wyndle and the suffering he's forced to endure for the sake of the world (being stuck with Lift for the rest of her life) xD