Lift

Farnsworth

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It's probably worth going through and marking a few articles as being feature-quality, perhaps with a category, and then simply telling the wiki to rotate between them. Then the featured article will change regularly, (even if it's rotating between a small pool of articles) and Coppermind editors can simply tag exceptional articles with good pictures as they're polished up to the requisite standard.

there's no feature in the wiki software to 'cycle thru articles' especially the way they're currently presented (by copying and cusotmizing the text on the front page to make it look nice) We already have a category for 'featurable articles': Exemplary. It just requires someone to actually produce the part for the front page. And given that we all have other things to be busy with we never really get round to doing this. I for one don't look at the front page at all anyway so I have no motivation to change this. 

Here is all that has to be done:

Every month or so, somebody goes to one of the exemplary articles. They click the edit button. They click select all, and then copy. They go to the home page, select all the text of the featured article, and then click paste. That is seven really simple steps that have to be done once a month.

We don't put the whole of the article on the front page, it's a slimmed-down version that is edited to look 'good' in its section. if you want to commit to editing that once a month to reflect the current status of the article 

I would be totally willing to be the one to slim things down, the only reason that I started this whole thread was because the last time I did something super big on the Coppermind (more than just editing a page) without asking an admin first, I just ended up screwing up a lot. So I really don't want to do this without explicit permission.

• 3 months later...

All right everyone, get used to looking at this featured article, because we should have it changed to a new one by the time Stormlight Five comes out.

In all honesty everyone, we do appreciate people wanting the featured article to be changed regularly, but we have high standards for what we want on the main page, and are more concerned with actually creating content for people to read than we are with regularly changing the featured article. I will try to get it changed more often than previously, but writing an article like this takes hours and hours, and is honestly akin to a small research paper.