Cosmere Thematics

We talk on this forum a lot about how stuff works; the realmatics, and magic systems and so forth. And that's awesome; the fact that Brandon has created worlds which are so dense and fascinating absolutely should be analysed!

...but as a consequence, I don't think the side of these books as literature get's as much love.

So. On the literary side of the Cosmere...

What kind of themes and meanings do you read in the books?

Mistborn has a few heavy themes. Abandonment and trust are a couple of them. Vin has abandonment issues from when Reen left her and has a lot of trouble connecting with anyone after the fact because of Reen's insistence that "anyone will betray you". Vin's whole character arc in TFE is her learning to trust the crew. The interesting thing is that this isn't a steady progression; it has setbacks, namely, Kelsier's death. She sees Kelsier allowing himself to die as him abandoning her and her trust in him was completely shattered. In the end, however, she begins to trust people again, mostly because of Elend. The last line of the book is her in Elend's arms and realizing that all she ever wanted in life was to be accepted and loved.

Another interesting theme is that of faith and religion in general. Sazed's whole arc is one of my favorites. He tells Kelsier in TFE that faith isn't just for good days. Contradictions and doubts are what give faith validity. It's also interesting to note that Sazed doesn't exactly practice what he preaches. In HoA, he stops having faith (at least mostly) because of Tindwyl's death.

There are a ton more themes and fascinating things to talk about in Mistborn, but I'm a bit lazy right now, so I'll leave it up to the rest of you to talk about it.

Good topic, quiver!

I'm interested in how the Cosmere plays with religion in general:

We have Adonalsium, a possible "God share", though apparently is has an (evil?) opposite force.

On Scadrial the gods are the shards, and then there's other cultural religions, church of the survivor based on a human which is different too. Roshar has the almighty which is sort of Honor and sort of the Stormfather. And then we have Warbreaker and Lightsong and all the interesting religion discussion that goes on there.

This is even more interesting because it could be read that God is whatever meaning people ascribe to powerful beings that they don't understand. Except that we know

Brandon is Mormon which I think is a variety of monotheism? (I know there's a ton of Mormons on here: feel free to correct me.). So I don't think that's exactly the message Brandon is going for.

And of course then there's Jasnahs atheism and Harmonies interventions through Wax and the Faceless Immortals.

In almost every book, there's a strong focus on religion and how religion can affect the lives of the people in the book. Not gods, or Shards, or any higher power, but how the actual religious practices change people. You have the people giving Breath to their gods in Warbreaker, and petitioning those same gods to give their lives for the people. In SA, religion pervades the culture, but due to the Hierocracy, there's also the idea of the ardents being slaves. People burn glyphwards to send them to the Almighty, and have strict societal rules that are also partially governed by religion. In Mistborn, the Lord Ruler uses religion to coerce and control the population, using the obligatory and Inquisitors to subjugate the population. In Elantris, the story is about the conflict between two religions, and the wars it causes to the nations.

The Final Empire, measured against the Principles of Dystopia:

1. There is a strong military or police presence. Steel Inquisitors. Mistings in the Steel Ministry.

2. Rights are limited or nonexistent. Skaa are not considered people, so of course they have no rights. Animals in the US have more rights than skaa in the Final Empire.

3. People are isolated. They're all stuck on the North Pole. The only other civilization is on the South Pole.

4. People are discouraged from speaking out against injustice. It ain't injustice if it's happening to a skaa.

5. Thinking is discouraged. The skaa are so worn down they can hardly think. And don't get me started on the Terrismen.

6. Punishment does not fit the crime. Public executions, whipping, being sent to the Pits...

7. There is no right to privacy. Kandra spies. Kandra spies everywhere.

8. Asking questions is discouraged. Asking questions is always welcomed. Just be careful to not get the Steel Ministry after you.

9. The state is more important than any individual. Ooh, you're a seeker in the Steel Ministry. I hope you enjoy having spikes pounded into your body, being ripped away from your previous life, and having pathways to the power of destruction opened in your mind!

10. People are distracted my mindless entertainment. The nobles always enjoy public executions.

11. Entertainment is highly violent or sexual. See above. 

12. People are distracted by drugs and/or alcohol. Not that we know of.

13. The state controls every aspect of people's lives. The Steel Ministry controls everything.

14. Destruction is better than construction. Oh yeah. Have I mentioned Ruin yet?

15. People live in fear of the state. Who doesn't fear the Lord Ruler?

16. People who are different are perceived as threats. Skaa mistings are hunted down quite zealously.

17. There is a high suicide rate.

18. People are not social.

19. "Education" consists of teaching people what to think, not how to think. Terrismen are conditioned from birth to become perfect stewards.

20. People are violent to each other. Skaa thieves will do horrible things to each other if they can benefit. Almost like nobles, but less subtle.

21. When people speak to each other, they say nothing intelligent.

22. War or war preparation is constant. Ruin is playing a game called "destroy the world", and you're his soldier.

23. People are emotionally disconnected to each other. The nobles only care about the fate of their House.  The skaa thieves only care about the fate of themselves. Neither of those leave much room for empathy,

24. People are more attached to entertainment than they are to each other. See above.

25. Technology is used to distract people.

26. People are "educated" at a very young age to be obedient. Terrismen. Do I have to repeat myself?

27. People are unhappy, but they cannot understand why. Do plantation skaa look happy to you?

28. People are selfish and self-absorbed. In the Final Empire, you put your well-being over another's. If your hungry, you knife the beggar next to you and take their bread. If your son is a liability to your house, you marry him off and plan to kill him once he produces an heir.

29. People avoid uncomfortable subjects.

30. Religion is used to oppress the people, not to liberate them. The Lord Ruler is God. The Lord Ruler saved the world. Obey the Lord Ruler.

31. People spend their free time seeking pleasure, not thinking.

32. People resist education and are proud to be ignorant.

33. People make decisions based on simplistic, ignorant reasoning.

34. There is no use for intellectual people. Not among skaa, anyway.

36. People have to hide the fact that they are intelligent. Plantation skaa showing any measure of intelligence are whipped.

37. Those who do not appear happy are perceived as threats.

38. People are kept busy by being put to hard labor. Skaa.

39. Books and information that are considered "dangerous" are destroyed. Not destroyed, per say. More like...

40. History and law is rewritten to better fit what the authority wants the people to believe. ...that. Ruin might be entirely dedicated to making things end, but he does it with style.

41. Leaders are corrupt and ambitious. Most nobles, obligators, even some crewleaders...

42. People are exploited for their labor, then discarded when they are no longer useful. How many times do I have to repeat myself?

43. People are starving. And a final note: SKAA.

The idea of social justice and equality is a big one too - there is a feudal system in all of the books I have read (except the W&W books, I suppose), and racism, religionism and sexism play huge parts. As does the idea of being able to balance seemingly contradictory parts of your character (see Vin, Elend, Siri, Vivenna, Shallan, Kaladin etc etc etc). The idea of dogmatic religion often being oppressive but compassionate and open-minded faith having the capacity to save. The dangers of thinking of oneself as a god. 

What would be really cool is a "reread" thread or set thereof for each series, where we specifically approach it like a literature class, looking for themes, foreshadowing, metaphor etc. Would LOVE to be involved

Some of my favorite messages come from Hoid in the guise of Wit. The thought that beauty can be found regardless of the situation is a common comcept but one rarely expressed in a manner so profound as the 2 blind men. The idea that novelty is most praised is also definitely a factor in life that Brandon expresses in a uniquely succinct way.

Other interesting themes are the conflicts between risky activism and neutral passivism, the way power changes someone on a fundamental level, manipulation as a core of society and all human interaction, and that negative experiences are essential for growth + don't necessitate failure.

Edited by Bugsy6912

What would be really cool is a "reread" thread or set thereof for each series, where we specifically approach it like a literature class, looking for themes, foreshadowing, metaphor etc. Would LOVE to be involved

I've considered doing that, actually. :ph34r: I put it on hold at the time, since I hadn't read Elantris, but if there is interest...

I'm kind of fascinated by metanarrative, and I think that's a thing to consider. The Cosmere is like a matryoshka doll of that. After all, every world has their own stories, Legends and creation myths, sharing common elements.

Then you have the larger narrative of the cosmere, Adonalsium and the Sixteen, and the way that influences around the edges of individual book plots...

Then there's the fact that many of the books are written in response to traditional stories; 'what if the dark lord won'(Mistborn), 'Sword and Sorcery tropes as political tools'(Warbreaker), 'Classic High Fantasy'(Roshar)...

Or duelling narratives, like how Kelsier sets up his revolution as a good story to perpetuate his religion. Or the fact that theatrics and storytelling constantly appear in the books. Hell, what about Hoid, Brandon's favourite character, who's favored disguise seems to be that of a storyteller...

• Chaos locked this topic