Restaurant at the End of the Cosmere

FirstSelector

17 minutes ago, Yata said:

On Earth to create an artificial lake or canals  we don't need godlike power... But I understand your point.

All this assumes that the builders of the Restaurant would have anything to do with the Physical Realm during construction.  Much simpler to stake out some plot in deep space that is otherwise unaffiliated with any Shardworld (Taln's Scar, being clearly visible from two different Shardworlds, seems a good choice, but even any unmarked patch of Cognitive ground would work) and import materials and labor from whichever Cognitive Realm's most convenient. 

I just want to remind everyone that Cognitive Realms isn't just mirrored Physical Realm as you assume with the rivers and oceans. It's just on land there are far more things which make up the "sea" in Cognitive Realm and in Physical in water there are few objects, so the ground in Cognitive Realm isn't flooded.

There was a WoB on this.

I love this theory. I have a suspicion that such an area would be located in the cognitive realm, because it then by definition is accessible only to worldhoppers, and because that seems like a cool twist. It would also explain why it needs raw materials from other worlds through trade, since you can't get physical material from the cognitive realm (although would you need physical material anyway? perhaps not)... A shard host? Maybe. I think however that the conflicting interests of worldhopping groups implies that if there is a shard in charge, it isn't one that is remotely embroiled in politics. It lets the people who frequent it's "restaurant" to come and go and do as they please.

Personally, I bet that the restaurant is hosted by Aggrajag (if anyone gets the arcane hitchhikers reference high five, I cracked up when I read that bit).

As for the question in the beginnings of this thread about whether a shard could escape a black hole's event horizon... That depends. In the physical realm, nothing but maybe hawking radiation can escape. In the cognitive realm... Well we perceive a black hole as inescapable, does that make it such in the cognitive realm? And do the effects of relativity apply in such a place as the cognitive realm? It seems like the cognitive realm sort of has it's own types of space-time distortions... As for the spiritual realm... If a shard even has easy access to this realm, this is probably the best bet for escape, since there isn't very much spiritual "weight" about a big pile of mass that happens to exceed a limit where it develops an event horizon. Unless that is we are to assume that a black hole includes an actual singularity, in which case... Things get a lot weirder. Assuming the presence of a singularity a shard trapped there might be able to turn the singularity into a sort of mini-universe driven only by the power of that single shard.

On July 16, 2016 at 10:29 PM, Drake Marshall said:

Personally, I bet that the restaurant is hosted by Aggrajag (if anyone gets the arcane hitchhikers reference high five, I cracked up when I read that bit).

I got it.  :P  I have way too much trivial info stuck in my head.

Could a shard invest in a black hole?  I don't see any reason they could not, and I think that a Black Hole would probably mask investiture pretty well.  I'm not saying that this is what has happened, I just think it sounds cool. Also, I think the Restaurant would be hosted by the Shard's Vessel.

2 hours ago, asterion137 said:

the cosmere seems a little too small to safely fit a black hole.

As far as I know, galaxies form around Black Holes, and with cosmere being a dwarf galaxy, it should probably have at least one (I don't know much about astrophysics, so I could be wrong). Worldhopping mecca set in the "centre of the universe" is fairly poetic.

2 minutes ago, Drake Marshall said:

If you've read all the books... You mean 6 and 9, right? Because I mean, the question...

I know, I know. But I had to choose between two references and I chose the less obscure one :P

Edited by Oversleep

1 hour ago, Oversleep said:

I know, I know. But I had to choose between two references and I chose the less obscure one :P

It's apparently more obscure to me. What would 6 and 7 reference? (The question leaped to mind immediately to me, with the realization then that the numbers were wrong for that.)

jW

6 minutes ago, Jondesu said:

It's apparently more obscure to me. What would 6 and 7 reference? (The question leaped to mind immediately to me, with the realization then that the numbers were wrong for that.)

jW

6 times 7 is is The Answer.

I know that the Question is "what is six times nine?", but The Answer is more widely known.

1 hour ago, Oversleep said:

I know that the Question is "what is six times nine?", but The Answer is more widely known.

Gotcha, never would have come to mind in that context. 

jW

2 hours ago, Oversleep said:

The Question was soooooo close to being finished before that confounded hyperspace ramp came along! Ugh! All that time wasted!

13 hours ago, CaptainRyan said:

The Question was soooooo close to being finished before that confounded hyperspace ramp came along! Ugh! All that time wasted!

The time was wasted long before the vogons showed up... You can thank the golgafrinchams for that.

Edited by Drake Marshall

3 hours ago, Magestar said:

Eh.  Give it a couple billion years and we'll have it again.

On another note, does the Question not know how to count? That always confused me.

The supercomputer running the calculations (Earth) was destroyed moments before the calculations were completed - that is why the Question is slightly off. Or, at least, that is how I always interpreted it.

Ah.  It all makes sense now. :ph34r: At least, it makes more sense than it did before.

I always felt the last two books (Written by Douglas Adams.) were not as good as the first three.  They felt... Unsatisfactory.  Then again the universe was falling apart at this point.

3 hours ago, Magestar said:

Ah.  It all makes sense now. :ph34r: At least, it makes more sense than it did before.

I always felt the last two books (Written by Douglas Adams.) were not as good as the first three.  They felt... Unsatisfactory.  Then again the universe was falling apart at this point.

You and everybody else.  Well, not everybody else, but I think most people like those two a lot less.

They didn't really have anywhere to go after using up the Radio Broadcasts and the nascent Dr. Who script (the third book.)

• 1 month later...

First, my username has finally found a home. :D

On 7/16/2016 at 9:29 PM, Drake Marshall said:

I don't know... if your host is Aggrajag, your security team needs to be constantly on watch for an Arthur Dent-incursion.

On 7/19/2016 at 8:47 AM, Magestar said:

Eh.  Give it a couple billion years and we'll have it again.

On another note, does the Question not know how to count? That always confused me.

On 7/19/2016 at 11:39 AM, Drake Marshall said:

The time was wasted long before the vogons showed up... You can thank the golgafrinchams for that.

On 7/19/2016 at 0:16 PM, CaptainRyan said:

The supercomputer running the calculations (Earth) was destroyed moments before the calculations were completed - that is why the Question is slightly off. Or, at least, that is how I always interpreted it.

Drake Marshall has the right of it. The Question is not "What do you get when you multiply six by nine?", and it never was. That is the broken, Golgafrincham-descended answer -- their crash-landing in prehistoric Earth disrupted the program and completely invalidated the results.

We aren't actually allowed to know the Question, because we already know the Answer. It was stated by Prak, who knew everything that was true, that if any being ever knew both the Question and the Answer at the same time, the Universe would spontaneously vanish and be replaced by something infinitely more complex. There is, of course, the possibility that this has already happened, but we needn't get into that just now.