Where's Hoid?

lookingglass

We actually have WoB on this:

[Signing Line - 01:38:35]

Questioner

You are releasing a graphic novel version of White Sand, which one is going to be canon to the cosmere, the graphic novel or the novel you originally wrote?

Brandon Sanderson

Oh definitely the graphic novel. The book I originally wrote has its problems, and I never released it. The books don't become canon until I release them. This will be the canon release of White Sand. I don't think-- If the graphic novel does well we are not going to write novels, I'm going to do the second one as a graphic novel original. That's just how we are going to do it-- is my plan right now. There are things when we went back to it that we tweaked, for instance Hoid's appearance in the original novel was only a reference. He was mentioned by, what did I end up calling him, Eis? Ais, I had both names for a while, it was only a reference to one of his old cases, that's his only appearance. And we're like "Ehh people are going to expect more now". So we are writing in a better appearance for him. Stuff like that, I feel Khriss' character needs better development than the novel had, so we are working on that. Stuff, you know. Things you would do in a major revision.

I wish Brandon had been more specific in where Hoid can be found. Starting in chapter 11 we see Ais as the name of the trackt, MUCH more than a passing character reference, and I don't find a character name Eis anywhere.

I think you are misinterpreting Brandon there, he's not saying Hoid is named Ais (Eis was just a mispronunciation on Brandon's part, trying to figure out Ais' name) just that Ais is the one who mentions Hoid as part of a past case.

Am I the only one who thought Eric was Hoid at first. Eric and his unwillingness to touch a sword plus his carefree character main me instantly think of Hoid which of course isn't possible but the way he described Eric made me think of Hoid.

Am I the only one who thought Eric was Hoid at first. Eric and his unwillingness to touch a sword plus his carefree character main me instantly think of Hoid which of course isn't possible but the way he described Eric made me think of Hoid.

You are DEFINITELY not the only one. Was keeping an eye out for him on my first read-through, saw Eric, and thought "This is him, for sure!" That scene is just so Hoid.

I literally spent hours looking through all of the Ais chapters for a reference and came up dry. Props if anyone else can find it, but I'm wondering if Brandon is remembering a different version that included such a reference.

Yeah...I'm just finishing a compete re-read of white sands...mostly trying to earn my profile name...and coming up with squat.  If anyone can find Ais' reference to Hoid I'll upvote the next two things you post in this thread.

• 1 month later...
On May 4, 2016 at 6:09 PM, Recca said:

I first thought it was Hoid, then I thought it could be Eric because he said "(Kenton) was once your best friend", but then I thought nah, that's very much a Hoid attitude. Turned out it was Eric after all XD

Edited by Daniyah

On 5/4/2016 at 7:09 AM, Recca said:

No, you're not. The first page or two I figured Eric was Hoid and then I realized that wasn't where it was going.

As far as the reference to Ais' old cases go, I could swear that I did see him think about old ones at some point that could have been a Hoid reference but after seeing the WoB I went back to check and couldn't find it. Either my mind is playing tricks on me or it's subtle enough that I didn't catch it with a search and I'd have to reread the whole manuscript to find it.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Because he's suspiciously prominent for a no-name background character, he's clearly filling a character niche that Hoid has occupied in the past (as the storyteller in Warbreaker and in a personal capacity when talking to Kaladin on occasion in Stormlight Archive) and while we can't really use appearance for much thanks to Lightweaving, this character sort of resembles Warbreaker!Hoid in having white hair and a beard but also not looking old. And he's hanging around important characters even if he's not directly interacting with them.

This character is also given a lot more detail that others in the graphic novel. If Brandon asked for Wit to be placed in the book, this music playing man is the best option. 

Oldish, music, foreground, multiple frames, key investiture event, cloak 

Edited by teknopathetic

• 2 months later...