• Announcements

• Chaos

Oathbringer Spoiler Policy   11/13/2017

Oathbringer is out! Let's make our policy on spoilers clear! 1. You must preface topics with Oathbringer spoilers with the prefix [OB] in the front 2. You are only allowed to post spoilers and spoiler topics in the Oathbringer Spoiler Board, Cosmere Theories, and some select work-related forums. 3. For posts in the Oathbringer Spoiler Board you do not need to use spoiler tags inside a topic marked [OB]. For Cosmere Theories, you also do not need to put spoiler tags inside your topic if the topic has [OB] in the title. However, for Cosmere Theories, if you are adding Oathbringer stuff to an old theory without the [OB] tag, those must go in spoiler tags and you must make it obvious outside the spoiler tag that the spoiler is regarding Oathbringer content. 4. For select things that do require talking about OB spoilers, in Events, Coppermind, and Arcanum forums, those are allowed but keep OB spoilers in spoiler tags 5. Avoid and minimize spoilers in topic titles--even though those two boards will not appear in the Recent Topics ticker, topic titles still appear in Recent Activity and the forum home.  6. You aren't allowed to post Oathbringer spoilers in places other than listed, even with spoiler tags.  It will be nine months and then the Oathbringer board will be re-merged with the Stormlight board and you will not need to tag these spoilers. If you'd like to move something in the Stormlight Archive board to the Oathbringer board, to update it with new Oathbringer information, Report the post and we will happily move it to the Oathbringer spoiler board. Part-by-part Reactions Though the Oathbringer Spoiler Board will be very spoilery, very fast (maybe don't come there until you've read the book, as people do have copies that bookstores sold early), you'll have these five topics for reactions if you want to nerd out: Part 1 Reactions
      Part 2 Reactions
      Part 3 Reactions
      Part 4 Reactions
      Full Book Reactions For parts 1-4, they will not include the interludes immediately following it. On Discord All Oathbringer spoilers on Discord will be exclusively in the #oathbringer_spoilers channel for the nine month spoiler period and nowhere else.
ZeldaDad

Humanity in the Cosmere question

5 posts in this topic

So the following contains Cosmere-wide spoilers so I'll hide it just to be safe.

I know that humans in the Cosmere originate from Yolen, and I know that Preservation and Ruin specifically created their own humans, but what I don't know is how the rest of the humans got to the other planets. Was there a mass immigration in the super distant past from Yolen to other worlds, or did the other Shardholders also create sentient life? I've just only ever seen a WoB on this about Scardians and nothing else. I'd be super happy with sources on any answers if possible. Thanks.

*Edit*, I meant to post this in the Cosmere Theories board but did it here by accident.

Edited by ZeldaDad

If I'm not mistaken, there were also humans on planets other than Yolen before the Shattering. Whether they got there because they worldhopped from Yolen, because Adonalsium created human life on several planets, or a little of both, we don't know. As for humans that were created by the Shards after the Shattering, WOB implies that Scadrial isn't the only place that this happened, but I don't think there's any 100% confirmation. So, basically, no one knows (except Brandon and maybe some of his team).

I think the most interesting worlds for this question are Threnody and First of the Sun.  Being minor Shardworlds, the humans there couldn't have been directly created by shards (I assume), which means that people must of gotten there either by migrating (which I think would be more interesting) or by being created there by Adonalsium.  Secret History Spoilers:

Given in Secret History we see the Ire worried about Threnodites, I think the former is more likely (at least for Threnody), as we know that at least some Realmatic Theory is known on Threnody before Shadows takes place, which I think is pretty good evidence for people having migrated there using knowledge gained whilst on a major Shardworld (I can't see people getting much opportunity to study Realmatics whilst on a minor Shardworld).

There's some implication in Stormlight Archive that humans migrated to Roshar from somewhere else.

I think the most interesting worlds for this question are Threnody and First of the Sun. Being minor Shardworlds, the humans there couldn't have been directly created by shards (I assume), which means that people must of gotten there either by migrating (which I think would be more interesting) or by being created there by Adonalsium. Secret History Spoilers:

Given in Secret History we see the Ire worried about Threnodites, I think the former is more likely (at least for Threnody), as we know that at least some Realmatic Theory is known on Threnody before Shadows takes place, which I think is pretty good evidence for people having migrated there using knowledge gained whilst on a major Shardworld (I can't see people getting much opportunity to study Realmatics whilst on a minor Shardworld).

MB:SH spoilers:

On Secret History, Nazh also implies of rituals and traditions involved in the creation of lasting Cognitive Shadows, which could be seem as evidence that either the Shades were once belign and perhaps even sapient, or that there is a way to create belign and sapient Shades. The possibility of undead researchers studying from the other side seens like enough opportunity for ancient Threnodites to learn much more about Realmatics than most other worlds we have seen.

Edited by DreamEternal