What do we call the people of the planets?

Erunion

Pretty self-explanatory. Do we have standardized names for the people from different planets? (IE: people from Earth are often called Terrans in sci-fi).

So what do we call the people of the different cosmere worlds?

Sel: Selites? Selians? Selish?

Roshar: Rosharans.

Scadrial: Scadrians.

Threnody: Threnodites.
Nalthis: Nalthians.

Yolen: Yolenites? Yolens? Yolenii? 

Ashyn: Ashthities? Ashyrii? Ashyn?

Braize: Braizians? Braizites? 

Taldain: Taldites? Taldanians? Talithites? 

This is an important topic! We need standardization across the 17th shard! (Also, with the plethora of topics discussing peoples from the different worlds right now *cough* Roshar vs. Scadrial *cough*, knowing what to refer to the people as will help). 

EDITED: Confirmed names are in BOLD.

Edited by Erunion

There are some standard demonyms. Rosharans, Scadrians, Nalthians, Threnodites are all canonical (with Threnodite coming from Secret History). Brandon previously on that Q&A has said "Selish" was the demonym for Sel, but in later Q&As he has said "Selian," if I recall correctly.

No other planet has known demonyms. Brandon will probably answer that when we get books on those worlds. I think Sharders have asked about a few others and he is hesitant to canonize them yet.

I think people from Yolen are Yolish, but don't have an immediate link for that, so I might be imagining that.

EDIT: Indeed, on the Coppermind we get the WoB'd demonym at all costs, haha.

Edited by Chaos

Not sure how canonical some of these are but the most common uses on the forums are

Sel: Selish

Roshar: Rosharans

Scadrial: Scadrians

Threnody: Threnodites

Nalthis: Nalthian

All of those are canonical! My link links to Brandon himself :P

The only one that is weird is Sel, because Brandon can't seem to make up his mind...

All of those are canonical! My link links to Brandon himself :P

The only one that is weird is Sel, because Brandon can't seem to make up his mind...

Yeah that was the one I was unsure of, and Yolish but I was so unsure on that I didn't even mention it. :P

Brandon previously on that Q&A has said "Selish" was the demonym for Sel, but in later Q&As he has said "Selian," if I recall correctly.

They could both be right, I think.  As in, Selians are Selish (with Selian being the noun and Selish the adjective).

Pretty self-explanatory. Do we have standardized names for the people from different planets? (IE: people from Earth are often called Terrans in sci-fi).

So what do we call the people of the different cosmere worlds?

Sel: Selites? Selians? Selish?

Roshar: Rosharans.

Scadrial: Scadrians.

Threnody: Threnodites.

Nalthis: Nalthians.

Yolen: Yolenites? Yolens? Yolenii? 

Ashyn: Ashthities? Ashyrii? Ashyn?

Braize: Braizians? Braizites? 

Taldain: Taldites? Taldanians? Talithites? 

Yolen: Yolites? Yolenii?

This is an important topic! We need standardization across the 17th shard! (Also, with the plethora of topics discussing peoples from the different worlds right now *cough* Roshar vs. Scadrial *cough*, knowing what to refer to the people as will help). 

EDITED: Confirmed names are in BOLD.

Just wanna say, you've put Yolen twice :P

• Chaos locked this topic