Hi guys

Your representative has been scheduled for the game below.

Game 1 - April 25 (36/12 phases, American deadlines)
Beluga Whale
BFG
Bitoku
Easy
Haelbarde
Iamnobody
JohnnyK
KingofDominaria
Lissa
Mantichora
Marco
Messremb
Miss Alkane
Necare
Prime Intellect
VikeStep
XLAV

The game is taking place on Mafia Universe. You can find the specific subforum dedicated to the championship here: http://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/forums/36-The-Mafia-Championship-2016

I want to talk about and spectate the game - what do I do?

If you wish to actively spectate and show support for your representative, then there are two ways of doing this.

1) There will be a private spectator thread on the site for each game that you may request access to. Simply register on the site and PM the user "Thingyman", and I will add you. Feel free to spectate games that your representative isn't in as well. These threads are published after the game completes.

2) We have a spectator chat on Skype, with currently more than 140 people in it. It's very active and fun, I highly suggest you join it if you have Skype. Just add me: thingyman.

None of these two chats/threads will be spoiled!

Finally, we kindly ask that you refrain from commenting too much on the games in public on this forum, as the other representatives will easily be able to find and read through this (as has happened in the past). I can't control what you do here, but out of respect for the integrity of this Championship, it's best if you don't discuss your reads on your representative or the other players or make comments that could potentially indicate your reads. I.e. even something like "oh man, our representative is totally being his usual self right now" is not good. Speaking very generally about what has happened so far in the game (so as to update your fellow community members) without commenting on it is fine though.

I hope this doesn't seem too strict to you guys, but the game can become very uncomfortable (and unfair) if there is discussion about it outside of the game thread. If you want to have your own private spectator chat, that is of course also totally fine and I even encourage it (I'd love to be added if you make one of these) default_smile.png

I wish your representative and your community all the best of luck for this season! default_smile.png

We tend to use Google Docs for a lot of our Spectator stuff, Thingyman. So no worries that we'll be the ones to spoil anything! :)

That does remind me though, while I wholeheartedly do suggest people joining in with Thingyman's spectator stuff as well, if anyone would like a link to what will be our Spectator Doc for the Championship, please PM me and I'll send you a link (I'll send one to you as well Thingyman). 

Good luck Hael! Show 'em all how it's done! :D

Well, it's not perfect, but it's not going to get any better before the game starts, so here goes. :D

Carrying the Banner - SE Edition (based on the song from the Broadway production of Newsies)

Meta:

From Town of Salem to Cracked.com

Wilson:

There's easy pickings guaranteed

Kipper:

Try any party, site, or forum

Maill:

They almost all knows how to bleed!

Meta:

It's a crooked game we're playin'

One we'll never lose

Long as suckers don't mind playin'

Just to go and lose

Still, it's a fine life

Carryin' the banner with me chums

A bunch of Sharders

Playin' til the end of the world comes

Hael:

Hey! What's the hold up

Waitin' makes me antsy

I likes living chancey

Sharders:

Simple to the fancy

What a fine life

Carryin' the banner through the

Sharders:

If I hate my results

I'll make up a result

And I'll say anything I hafta

In counterpoint

Group one:

Got a feelin' bout the writeup

I smells me a writeup

Lies is gonna sell like we was givin' em' away

Betcha nighttime it's a thriller

'bout a pistol-wielding killer

Who knows how to make a Sharder's day

Group two:

I do too! So it must be true

What a run! Soon the game'll be won

Don't know a better way to make a Sharder's day

Sharders:

You wanna make the next game more fun

Give us a faction or a role!

Phatt:

How 'bout role madness with three actions?

Wilson:

Ya nitwit, that ain't news no more :P

Sharders:

Uptown to old Scadrial games

Down to AG2

We improves manipulation

Playing till we fall

In Counterpoint

Group one:

But we'll be out there

Carrying the banner man to man!

We're always out there

Playin' every sucker that we can!

See the headline:

Sharders on a mission!

Group two:

Got a feelin' bout the next game

I smells me a won game

Games are gonna win like they was givin' em' away

Betcha nighttime it's a beauty

'bout a spiked doing his duty

Don't know any better way to make a Sharder's day

[dance break]

We'll all be out there, carryin' the banner man to man

We're always out there, soakin' evey sucker that we can

Here's the headline:

Sharders on a mission

Kill the competition

Be the next champion

We'll be out there, carryin' the banner

See us out there, carryin' the banner

Always out there, carryin' the banner

Ah, ah, ah, go!

Good luck, and hope you have a great game!

Edited by Elbereth

Hi again

The game has now begun: http://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/threads/1911-Season-3-Game-1-The-Neverending-Story-Mafia-Championship

It's only been a few hours, but everyone except for a couple of people have already checked in.

If you wish to spectate, remember you can just add me on Skype (thingyman) and I'll throw you into our 160+ person chat. Or you can PM thingyman on the above site and I'll add you to the private thread.

​​​​​​​Crossing my fingers for a fun and exciting game default_smile.png

Hey Meta, is there going to be a 17th Shard only Spec doc? Where we can talk about Hael behind his back?

Thingyman, I attempted to PM you on the site to get spec access, but it replied that I didn't have the necessary permission. My username on the site is A Joe in the Bush.

I know you already got access from someone, but I still wanted to point this out: :P

That does remind me though, while I wholeheartedly do suggest people joining in with Thingyman's spectator stuff as well, if anyone would like a link to what will be our Spectator Doc for the Championship, please PM me and I'll send you a link (I'll send one to you as well Thingyman). 

Hey Meta, is there going to be a 17th Shard only Spec doc? Where we can talk about Hael behind his back?

Thingyman, I attempted to PM you on the site to get spec access, but it replied that I didn't have the necessary permission. My username on the site is A Joe in the Bush.

Strange, other people have been able to PM me -- I wonder if you accidentally sent it to "Thingyman*". Anyway, I've sent you a PM on the site and granted you access now! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've posted this in a couple of places now, but I wrote a parody for this, because of course I did:

"Townie” - parody of Pharrell Williams' "Happy"
It might seem crazy what I’m about to say

My death is here, I can take a break
I’m a vanilla town who’s about to die
Kill the maf, and have some fun with me out the way

Uh

Because I’m Townie
Lynch ahead if you feel like you have got some proof
Because I’m Townie
Lynch ahead if you feel like me being maf is the truth
Because I’m Townie
Lynch ahead if you feel like I’m a scum to you
Because I’m Townie
Lynch ahead if you feel like that’s what you wanna do

Here come you all talking this and that, yeah,
Well, give me all you got, and don't hold it back, yeah,
Well, I should probably warn you I'll flip town, yeah,
No offense to you, don't waste your time
Here's why

Because I’m Townie
Because I’m Townie
Because I’m Townie
Because I’m Townie

Hey
Go
Uh

(Townieee)
Bring them down
Can’t nothing
Bring them down
Vote counts too high
Bring them down
Can’t nothing
Bring them down
I said (I’m townie, y’all)
Bring them down
Can’t nothing
Bring them down
Vote counts too high
Bring them down
Can’t nothing
Bring them down
I said

Hey
Go
Uh

(Townie) [repeats]
Bring them down… can’t nothing…
Bring me down… my level’s too high…
Bring me down… can’t nothing…
Bring me donw, I said (I’m townie, y’all)

Because I’m Townie
Because I’m Townie
Because I’m Townie
Because I’m Townie

Because I’m Townie
Because I’m Townie
Because I’m Townie
Because I’m Townie

Hey

C’mon

It was an interesting experience, and as much as I disagreed with the way they did most things, there were a couple of things that came out of the game which I thought could be worth learning from. One thing was giving cover for seeking roles. They have an article on their site about this practice, which is quite an interesting read. In the same part of their forum is this post, which I find amusing - it seems to advocate a manner of play more like what we're used to, and condemns the manner of play that most players in the game seemed to engage in. :)

There was another piece of logic that I remember noting while playing, something which the players seemed to take to an extreme - the extreme was useless, but the core logic seemed sound. I'll need to go over the first two cycles and work out what it was again, so I can share it.

Edit: Hmmm.... Not sure what it was (to be fair, the first 2 cycles is 32 pages / 1600 posts...). Might have been something to do the way they thought through how players seemed to defend each other. Or maybe it was the focus on the assumptions that players have when offering their opinions. I mean, some people here analyse like that anyway, I think, but it was something I thought I could get better at. Yeah, I think that was it. To me, it looked like they scrutinized way too deeply, and drew unfounded connections, but in moderation, I think it'd be quite a valuable tool.

Edited by Haelbarde

I was largely in agreement with the first article you linked to till I got to this:

and the town can usually assume that the player who died at night was also correct about everything. 

That seems a rather large assumption to me. Seeker roles are certainly very dangerous to the eliminators but acting in a consistent and predictable way will get them killed even faster. In this particular example if the eliminators were to do that they would be essentially feeding the villagers information. Each time they killed someone who wasn't the seeker they would (generally) be telling the villagers another role or two that the seeker didn't already know. This would also narrow the search field for the seeker, making it easier for them to ping eliminators. Broadly speaking killing a mixture of players who are on the right track and ones who aren't makes it much much harder for the villagers to get any useful information from your kills. The more chaos you can sow and the more you can confuse the villagers the easier it is to kill whoever you please :)

Edited by lord Claincy Ffnord

I was largely in agreement with the first article you linked to till I got to this:

That seems a rather large assumption to me. Seeker roles are certainly very dangerous to the eliminators but acting in a consistent and predictable way will get them killed even faster. In this particular example if the eliminators were to do that they would be essentially feeding the villagers information. Each time they killed someone who wasn't the seeker they would (generally) be telling the villagers another role or two that the seeker didn't already know. This would also narrow the search field for the seeker, making it easier for them to ping eliminators. Broadly speaking killing a mixture of players who are on the right track and ones who aren't makes it much much harder for the villagers to get any useful information from your kills. The more chaos you can sow and the more you can confuse the villagers the easier it is to kill whoever you please :)

That's quite true. I'd mentally flagged that when I read through that, but forgot to comment. I think it was said in the spec doc, and maybe even in the game - confirmed good doesn't mean confirmed right. And your point about how the eliminators react is also quite true - basically, play mind games with the village. Which is sorta the point of the game anyway.

We're not voting yet. Just nominating. After we've got all the nominations, we'll put up a poll so people can vote on those nominated.

I will thank you for the nomination but I will have to decline again. I've got too much going on still and I really can't afford to be distracted with a super-active game at work. Perhaps next year, if things are less busy.