What do those numbers actually mean? Does literally everything stop moving in a 4096000 feet³ (or more, if he stretches the lightining bolt) area? Can he just have it dance around in the air as he pleases?

More importantly, wiping all kinetic energy would unquestionably kill everyone it affects. Including him.

I've been playing with an idea for a couple of weeks.

What is everyone's opinion on a RP set as Epics were appearing, and in Washington DC?

If it's in a different time I'd say make it somewhere outside the US to minimize potential problems with backstory and such.

His powers only suck away energy and only affect non organic matter. This means that every non organic object within 80 square feet of himself will gradually slow down. He could just have it dance around as he pleases.

Edited by ThatTinyStrawMan

If it's in a different time I'd say make it somewhere outside the US to minimize potential problems with backstory and such.

Makes sense. Well, we haven't had any setting in Europe yet. Thoughts on that?

1) I have a bit of an issue with this, it's one of the main problems with freezing time, especially if in that time characters don't age or change in any way. Otherwise that character is trapped outside for an eternity but since access to that timeline is still possible, what happens when Eternity comes back later? What is the actual time ratio between the two? An eternity of eternities?

Has a lot of potential for very difficult problems.

What exactly do you mean? I already clarified that his power won't let him physically leave something living in stopped time. If he tries, it doesn't work, although the person he tries to leave behind experiences aeons of isolation; generally enough that they might as well be dead when they get back. (Which is why a strong enough mentalist could probably 'heal' someone that this has happened to, by sealing off the relevant memories.) There are no timelines involved. (So I guess the 'eternity of eternities' interpretation would be right, as every time Eternity enter stopped time, the instant he enters is separate from all other instants prior.) Really, if I wanted his power to be wholly internally consistent; anything he leaves outside time, living or not should be removed from existence, but that's definitely overpowered. Regardless though, this isn't something that will come up; Accord's restrictions won't let him use his powers to their fullest extent.

1)Right, memories from that WHOOC are starting to come back. I guess then the question becomes what he's actually capable of doing and what he's doing in town.

4)Well, I'd say do like I did but that's not really the kind of advice I like to give. Anyway, this power would not allow Accord to actually rule a city, at least not on his own, if simply for the fact that he can't force more powerful Epics (or people with guns or knives or anyone really) to enter a deal. Now, he could gain an incredible amount of political influence from using his powers carefully but unless he just so happens to be in an area with no powerful Epics or everyone being rather stupid he will be removed the moment he actually starts taking charge he's a goner.

For the purposes of the RP, he'll be basically limited to effective teleportation, limited cancelling (Basically, he can engage in fisticuffs with any character he happens to feel like, with no interference from Epic powers on either end, given how his stopped time works), and enhanced reflexes/general danger-sense PI (well, that and a justified version of Talking is a Free Action :P). As for why he's in Astoria... well, that one should be explained whenever I get around to posting his intro. 

Well, I would think it would let him rule a city quite well, it's just getting into that position that's the tricky bit. :P My vague idea for his backstory had him spending roughly three years in relative secrecy and anonymity, slowly accumulating favours and deals with vanillas and minor Epics until he had accumulated enough power to bind stronger, more destructive Epics into his service; from there wresting control from the resident High Epic. If you guys think that sounds unrealistic, though, I can always throw in a PI of one sort or another, or make Accord and enforcer for some other High Epic. Really though, I doubt Accord or anyone from that city besides Eternity (and perhaps a vanilla) will have any impact on the RP's overall story.

What exactly do you mean? I already clarified that his power won't let him physically leave something living in stopped time. If he tries, it doesn't work, although the person he tries to leave behind experiences aeons of isolation; generally enough that they might as well be dead when they get back. (Which is why a strong enough mentalist could probably 'heal' someone that this has happened to, by sealing off the relevant memories.) There are no timelines involved. (So I guess the 'eternity of eternities' interpretation would be right, as every time Eternity enter stopped time, the instant he enters is separate from all other instants prior.) Really, if I wanted his power to be wholly internally consistent; anything he leaves outside time, living or not should be removed from existence, but that's definitely overpowered. Regardless though, this isn't something that will come up; Accord's restrictions won't let him use his powers to their fullest extent.

For the purposes of the RP, he'll be basically limited to effective teleportation, limited cancelling (Basically, he can engage in fisticuffs with any character he happens to feel like, with no interference from Epic powers on either end, given how his stopped time works), and enhanced reflexes/general danger-sense PI (well, that and a justified version of Talking is a Free Action :P). As for why he's in Astoria... well, that one should be explained whenever I get around to posting his intro. 

Well, I would think it would let him rule a city quite well, it's just getting into that position that's the tricky bit. :P My vague idea for his backstory had him spending roughly three years in relative secrecy and anonymity, slowly accumulating favours and deals with vanillas and minor Epics until he had accumulated enough power to bind stronger, more destructive Epics into his service; from there wresting control from the resident High Epic. If you guys think that sounds unrealistic, though, I can always throw in a PI of one sort or another, or make Accord and enforcer for some other High Epic. Really though, I doubt Accord or anyone from that city besides Eternity (and perhaps a vanilla) will have any impact on the RP's overall story.

How do they experience aeons of isolation but he doesn't? either he can't leave them in stopped time without him or he can.

Either is overpowered, not to mention potentially universe breaking. I'm hesitant to give an ok to any Epic who can stop time forever without even aging, not only is that a power that technically affects the entire physical universe but it also opens up a whole host of problems that are almost impossible to correctly ascertain. Dealing with infinity or the infinitesimal is always opening a can of worms.

The issue is less a matter of being able to use it on Epics in the RP and more a matter of being so ludicrously overpowered compared to every other Epic on the planet that it's pretty much impossible to think he wasn't the most widely known Epic and undisputed ruler of the world, it'd be like removing Bioterrors inability to affect Epics or removing the Metals range. Sure maybe Lucentia doesn't let him just squish everything on the planet but that doesn't really remove the problem of being so ridiculously overpowered.

So that's all he can do... except completely shattering the mind of everyone he pleases (which is a pretty measly fix) and making inanimate objects disapear at will.

You know, I hate to be that guy but "you'll have to wait and see" isn't really a valid answer to a question from a gm.

I could only see it if it's a very small city and he doesn't make any moves to expand.

Edgedancer, permission for Energy to join Astoria?

First an answer to that question I asked about his weakness and at least a vague idea of what you want to do with him in the city, please.

Edited by Edgedancer

How do they experience aeons of isolation but he doesn't? either he can't leave them in stopped time without him or he can.

Either is overpowered, not to mention potentially universe breaking. I'm hesitant to give an ok to any Epic who can stop time forever without even aging, not only is that a power that technically affects the entire physical universe but it also opens up a whole host of problems that are almost impossible to correctly ascertain. Dealing with infinity or the infinitesimal is always opening a can of worms.

The issue is less a matter of being able to use it on Epics in the RP and more a matter of being so ludicrously overpowered compared to every other Epic on the planet that it's pretty much impossible to think he wasn't the most widely known Epic and undisputed ruler of the world, it'd be like removing Bioterrors inability to affect Epics or removing the Metals range. Sure maybe Lucentia doesn't let him just squish everything on the planet but that doesn't really remove the problem of being so ridiculously overpowered.

The idea is that if he's not actively taking them with him, the transition isn't perfect; they get temporarily caught outside before snapping back to the regular flow of time. To an outside observer, Eternity and whoever he took with him would appear to re-enter time simultaneously, but whoever was left behind would experience thousands of years difference.

He's not doing anything to the universe, just himself and whatever he takes with him. Really, he's less stopping time and more stepping outside it. So long as it has clearly defined limits, I think it shouldn't be a problem.

I'm still not 100% sure where the idea of him being ridiculously overpowered is coming from. (Well, no, I do, but given that there is a legitimate in-story reason for him to be unable to use his powers in such a manner, I don't fully see where the problem is.) Limited as he is, between the actual physical extents of his power, (For reference, these are the inability to affect objects that he has not brought with him outside time, the inability to take objects that cannot be intuitively comprehended/visualized in their entirety, and the inability to take more than roughly a dozen objects at a time.) and Accord's restrictions (which I feel should be taken into account, given that they're a legitimate in-universe constraint) he's not going to be taking over the world anytime soon; and he probably won't be able to do more to the Astorians than give them a bit of a scare, unless he gets very lucky.

So that's all he can do... except completely shattering the mind of everyone he pleases (which is a pretty measly fix) and making inanimate objects disapear at will.

You know, I hate to be that guy but "you'll have to wait and see" isn't really a valid answer to a question from a gm.

I could only see it if it's a very small city and he doesn't make any moves to expand.

First an answer to that question I asked about his weakness and at least a vague idea of what you want to do with him in the city, please.

Except the first is no longer an option for him, and the second I'm actually thinking about removing in favour of a corollary to the whole snapping back idea explained above. (This would mean that in contrast to making inanimate objects disappear, the best he could do would be move them.)

Basically? Accord owes Azrael a favour. Azrael wants Bioterror and Brightdeath humiliated at the very least, if not killed. Accord can't exactly refuse (he's just as bound by his powers as others) but he also assumes it might additionally provide an opportunity to increase his influence slightly/get a feel for Oregon's political climate, as it were, so I'm toying with the idea of him sending one of his Proxies (gifted vanillas) along as well.

I'm not 100% sure which city I want it to be yet, but I'm thinking somewhere in western Nevada/Idaho. He knows better than to try to expand without a fool-proof opportunity, and I'm also not sure yet whether I want to to be common knowledge that Accord is the one with real power; it's more than likely that there's a High Epic figurehead involved.

The idea is that if he's not actively taking them with him, the transition isn't perfect; they get temporarily caught outside before snapping back to the regular flow of time. To an outside observer, Eternity and whoever he took with him would appear to re-enter time simultaneously, but whoever was left behind would experience thousands of years difference.

He's not doing anything to the universe, just himself and whatever he takes with him. Really, he's less stopping time and more stepping outside it. So long as it has clearly defined limits, I think it shouldn't be a problem.

I'm still not 100% sure where the idea of him being ridiculously overpowered is coming from. (Well, no, I do, but given that there is a legitimate in-story reason for him to be unable to use his powers in such a manner, I don't fully see where the problem is.) Limited as he is, between the actual physical extents of his power, (For reference, these are the inability to affect objects that he has not brought with him outside time, the inability to take objects that cannot be intuitively comprehended/visualized in their entirety, and the inability to take more than roughly a dozen objects at a time.) and Accord's restrictions (which I feel should be taken into account, given that they're a legitimate in-universe constraint) he's not going to be taking over the world anytime soon; and he probably won't be able to do more to the Astorians than give them a bit of a scare, unless he gets very lucky.

Kinda the problem there, if the transition isn't perfect then they wouldn't get stuck for a thousand years, they'd be stuck literally for eternity, hence my points about infinity being problematic.

Stepping outside it would result in being at all points in time simultaneously or being removed entirely (ie. dead before you were ever born), not being frozen in one moment.

Because it doesn't in the least bit explain why he entered into that deal or why he didn't already rule the entire world beforehand and especially it doesn't explain why he isn't the most well known and widely feared Epic on the planet. I'm pretty sure that every Epic in the world would be wanting to kill him. Not to mention that if Accord happened to die (A very real possibility), a cancelling Epic got anywhere near him (Another big possibility) or he realized that Epic powers don't work out of time (The biggest possibility) Then he's completely free to trap every Epic on the planet forever in a single instant.

and in my humblest of opinions I think time-related powers are not a good idea, personally. Too reality-breaking.

I've been playing with an idea for a couple of weeks.
What is everyone's opinion on a RP set as Epics were appearing, and in Washington DC?

Well as it happens the Wastelands is about 50% flashbacks to the first year of Epic appearances (and is itself set in the second year after Epics appeared), so while all of those scenes would be told in the past they could very well be done.

About DC, I like it because there are several landmarks that could make cool bases, and since it would be as Epics were appearing, we could have the government involved. Someone could RP the President! Also, since we probably wouldn't want the city to get taken over immediately, it could be like the anti-Astoria.

Except the first is no longer an option for him, and the second I'm actually thinking about removing in favour of a corollary to the whole snapping back idea explained above. (This would mean that in contrast to making inanimate objects disappear, the best he could do would be move them.)

Basically? Accord owes Azrael a favour. Azrael wants Bioterror and Brightdeath humiliated at the very least, if not killed. Accord can't exactly refuse (he's just as bound by his powers as others) but he also assumes it might additionally provide an opportunity to increase his influence slightly/get a feel for Oregon's political climate, as it were, so I'm toying with the idea of him sending one of his Proxies (gifted vanillas) along as well.

I'm not 100% sure which city I want it to be yet, but I'm thinking somewhere in western Nevada/Idaho. He knows better than to try to expand without a fool-proof opportunity, and I'm also not sure yet whether I want to to be common knowledge that Accord is the one with real power; it's more than likely that there's a High Epic figurehead involved.

You know, whatever arbitrary restritions you put on him doesn't have any bearing on Voidu's point. You could say that your character is an alien that just so happens to be perfectly physically identical to a human and has no memory of being an alien, it would have no influence on anything but it still wouldn't fit in the setting, just in a slightly different way.

A snapping back process that you yourself said destroys the mind of his victim with the force of aons of perception crushing it, is exactly what completely crushing the mind of everyone he pleases means and is still the ability to deafeat everyone except cancellers with a danger sense tied to it without any difficulties, thanks to his ability to just walk up to them outside of time.

As far as motivations go, that's okay.

Meanwhile, in one of Megan's parallel universes….

enhanced-25742-1458583605-1.jpg?no-auto

Core possibility! Core possibility! CORE POSSIBILITY!

And suddenly we know how he attracted Funtimes. :P

About DC, I like it because there are several landmarks that could make cool bases, and since it would be as Epics were appearing, we could have the government involved. Someone could RP the President! Also, since we probably wouldn't want the city to get taken over immediately, it could be like the anti-Astoria.

Would we get to set our own puppet president? Like president Pug? :ph34r:

Unless he literally starts blowing stuff up, the entrance won't really be that noticable an event.

As for CF having operated within the city for a year already, just out of curiosity, was that cleared with Comatose?

He's kinda blowing stuff up. Mostly just killing with theatrics though.

I believe CF being there for a year was Comatose's idea in the first place.

He's kinda blowing stuff up. Mostly just killing with theatrics though.

I believe CF being there for a year was Comatose's idea in the first place.

In that case I think the problem might less be him interrupting anyone's plot line than him getting busted before he even has a chance to meet up with Canon Fodder. :mellow:

for time based abilities, anyone who can stop time is pretty powerful, even if its just for themselves. the combat applications are endless(literally, because time is stopped) The ability to stop time for others cancels every PI we have here, but why not have accord force eternity to not use her powers on other people?

Artificial restrictions like that don't really solve the problem, Accord could die, or be targetted by an Assumer or Canceler and since Epic powers don't work in stopped time apparently that ability wouldn't even actually work on Eternity. You also then need to explain why the heck Eternity would agree to a condition like that.