JordanCon this year?

Ruro272

Thanks for the help, guys. :)

Q: So for the Old Magic, in this classification system of end-positive, end-neutral, and end-negative, where would that fall under?

A: So, almost every magic in the Cosmere is end-positive, almost every magic is relying upon an external source of Investiture to power it. So that is mostly more relevant to Scadrial than anywhere else, because that concept is how I’m dealing with things like the laws of thermodynamics, and even what they call end-neutral is relying a little bit on the power of Investiture to facilitate. So even an end-neutral magic system as they define it on Scadrial is not actually end-neutral. What you put in you get out, but the power is facilitating that transfer. So that phrasing is kind of a....uh...Take that as a science on Scadrial that does not extrapolate well, and may not even be 100% accurate. [...] I look at it as, is there an Investiture externally powering the magic, and if you look at Allomancy, yes it is. You are drawing that power out. Feruchemy, you are putting Investiture in from your own body, it’s your energy transferring to Investiture, which is then stored, which you are then drawing out, and things like that. But that changing forms is facilitated by the magic. Whereas when you’re stealing stuff with - You could look for instance at the magic on Nalthis, you could look at that one as being, as kind of working as end-negative, meaning “I am taking it away from someone else”, or end-positive depending on if you’re the one receiving it or not. So again, it’s a phrasing that could be useful as a tool but doesn’t scale well to the other magics.

Something strikes me as odd about this. That classification system is called "my terminology" by the author of the Era 1.5 Ars Arcana, but here Sanderson is calling it "a science on Scadrial", "as they define it on Scadrial", &c that is "more relevant to Scadrial than anywhere else" and "doesn't scale well to the other magics". That doesn't sound, then, like terminology created by a non-Scadrian like Khriss who presumably had knowledge of other worlds' magic before she came to Scadrial... So, am I reading too much into this, or is that evidence against Khriss being the author of the Ars Arcana? Maybe she just borrowed Scadrian terminology, but then how come she calls it "my terminology" and uses it even though it doesn't scale well?

I thought this one was pretty funny. He didn't specify which one was the case, he just said yes. Trolled by BS...

Yeah, this was one of my two questions, I realized too late that I didn't specific exclusive-or, and had to live with the simple answer. There is some grumbling that wasn't transcribed. 

You win some, you lose some I guess.

Trae 

Oh yeah? I hadn't seen that WoB. Do you have a link handy? I'd love to check it out.

Trae

INTERVIEW: Mar 4th, 2014

WoR Signing Report - Leinton (Paraphrased)

LEINTON

Would Returned still Return if Endowment died?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Magic in the cosmere needs a guiding force. If it doesn't have one, the magic itself will gain sentience. Or someone would pick it up. So yes, Returned would still come, but there would be something different based on who was guiding the power.

TAGS

returned, endowment, investiture,

INTERVIEW: Mar 4th, 2014

WoR Signing Report - Leinton (Paraphrased)

LEINTON

Would Returned still Return if Endowment died?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Magic in the cosmere needs a guiding force. If it doesn't have one, the magic itself will gain sentience. Or someone would pick it up. So yes, Returned would still come, but there would be something different based on who was guiding the power.

TAGS

returned, endowment, investiture,

You have my thanks.

This doesn't necessarily answer my question as to whether Endowment is currently "hands-on" so to speak with selection of the returned, or whether she powers a mechanism that continues to produce Returned. 

I believe it is probably involved in the continual power economy of Nalthis. Potentially as one means to remove breath from those who have it. As they have to use a breath a week, and, in theory, there is a finite number of breaths on Nalthis, even if this number is arbitrarily large, there would have to be a mechanism to reclaim and endow successive generations on Nalthis.

Just ruminating, so to speak. 

Trae

That question came from someone in the back who was in a previous panel. Like you, I would never have worded it the way it was worded. I had eye contact with him the entire time he was answering this question and he was definitely not about to answer it on the merits.

When I asked him for clarification, I knew based on his tone that he was going to RAFO a direct, pinpointed question. There's no doubt -zero- in my mind he knows we know he wriggled out of this one. It's something else. 

I agree, but let's look at it this way... he knows that you know he wriggled out of it, and may suspect that very very few of us know.  As far as I'm aware the only time he's ever explicitly stated anything about "fake" Heralds was at a small con in Minnesota, and Brandon has no way of knowing that I shared that info just one session prior.  So in his eyes he wriggled out of that question since it was asked so openly and very few people know about the "fake Herald" WoB.  The general populace would glean absolutely nothing from his answer, even though I'm sure he strongly suspected what the questioner was trying to get at.  So in a very real sense he wriggled out of a very juicy answer for 99% of the people there, not knowing that probably 75% of the room just heard me share that info a couple hours prior.  

I would not take this to the bank and I'm not heavily invested in it (pun semi-intended), but its the one question that I know he wriggled out of even though (in his view) the vast majority of the room would not know.  In any case I openly admit it could have been any other question, but I have less than zero idea of what it could have been lol.

All right, double-posting but for a good reason:  I was able to record nearly two hours of the book signing and gleaned some good Cosmere tidbits.  I've transcribed as closely worded as possible the questions and answers below.  

I'll tell you, the most frustrating thing about listening to this are all the times Brandon asks "Do you have any questions for me?" and the person responds "Hmmm... nope!"  I just want to hand out little cards with questions to all these people :P

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_kNPxqRnJfDUjhkbEhJOTVRUWs

Jordancon Brandon Sanderson Book Signing

4:50

Q:  When will we find out what the Nightwatcher looks like?

A:  Um… well, Dalinar in the past met the Nightwatcher.  Dalinar’s third book is getting flashback sequences to his past experiences.  You can postulate that one of those important past experiences might be a visit to the Nightwatcher.

Q:  For Dalinar, is forgetting his wife the curse, or…

A:  That’s a RAFO

19:15

Q:  Can spren be put back together by a Bondsmith, rejoined, as shards and joined and combined?

A:  That, um… so what do you mean by spren put back together?

Q:  Could a Bondsmith combine spren in the way that Shards can be combined?

A:  Ok, so the answer is that they can be combined.  Whether the Bondsmith can or not I won’t say, but spren can be combined.    

34:05

Guy asked for the next Oaths of the Windrunners, but Brandon did not want to provide this out load due to the recorders.  He did, however, write the 3rd Oath into the guy’s book, after receiving a promise that he would not share it online.  Brandon also specified that Oath number 3 would “be it for a while”—not sure if this means we won’t see Oath 4 for a long time in the book series.

A:  That’s the wording as I have it in my head right now.  I might not use the exact words, but that’s ok because the Oaths are concepts and each person who speaks them will speak them slightly differently.  Like you will see in future books people speaking Oaths you have seen before, they’ll slightly reworded.  But that’s the concept.  You might be able to see that it’s a very important thing. 

44:30 

Q:  How effective would Pewter Allomancy and Iron Feruchemy be as a Twinborn? 

A:  That would do some really cool stuff.  Some really cool stuff. 

1:06:14

Q:  What specifically does Khriss know about the red haze on Scadrial and was she trying to clue Wax in on the situation?

A:  I can’t tell you what Khriss knows about the red haze.  She knows too much.  […] (writes “Khriss knows too much” in the book)

Q:  What happened in the Cognitive realm during the Catacendre?

A:  Um… so, um, the Cognitive realm for the Catacendre in Secret History, that’s some things that happened.  Its like saying ‘what happened on Earth in 1960-yeah […] what you see is what you get.

Q:  What happened to the Ministries?

A:  The Ministries, being a legacy at the time of the Lord Ruler’s rule, there are trappings of them left but they don’t use any of the same names or anything like that.  There are cities you can go to where there are more echoes of that.  In Elendel you can barely even find the trappings anymore, but you can find some of them.  You can’t go in there and find the Ministry of this-and-that, because it was run by Kelsier’s crew, most of that did not make the transition.  Though there were notable Obligators who made it through and so they have left their mark.  You have to search for it though.

Q:  Does Lift’s metabolic waste include crem?

A:  [Laughs] That’s an excellent question.  I’m not going to answer that, but it’s an excellent question. 

Q:  Wow, you’re RAFOing that?

A:  You got a laugh.   I didn’t say RAFO, I said I’m not going to answer that, which could be considered two different answers.

1:12:20

Q:  Could a Rosharan be Hemalurgically spiked with a gem or fabrial?

A:  (answer not spoken but girl’s response is a sound of exasperation and the artist next to Brandon laughs almost mockingly, so I sense that he wrote RAFO in her book, or something equally unimportant.  Maybe somebody on the 17th Shard knows exactly what he wrote!)

1:16:40

Q:  Does worldhopping involve expansion of the soul?

A:  I’m going to saaaaay… Sometimes.  You get a ‘sometimes’

1:17:40

Q:  Has Wax seen the influence of a Shard other that Ruin, Preservation, and Harmony?  IE Autonomy?

A:  Yes, he has.

Q:  Might that shard be Autonomy?

A:  Sure, it might.  [based on vocal cues he’s clearly playing with the guy and basically saying ‘it might be Autonomy or it might be any of the other ones]

Q:  Did Odium originally have a planet he was Invested in? 

A:  Odium’s plan always involved not getting stuck on one. 

1:18:30

Q:  [Asking about structure of Dragonsteel and if it is still 7 books, Brandon says he’s cut out a lot and is currently down to 3]

Q:  As of Era 2 in Mistborn, is Bavadin still alive? 

A:  Errrrr…… I’m pretty sure I’ve answered that [in the past], but just in case I haven’t I’m going to RAFO.

Q:  I currently have a pet theory that whatever the 4th Shard is that Odium shattered, people who founded Threnody were—

A:  So you should read Khriss’s introductions to the worlds in the Cosmere Collection.

1:20:20

Q:  Has Hoid and Sazed [unintelligible due to someone talking—I encourage you guys to listen and try to figure it out—my suspicion is simply “have they met/talked” based on the follow-up]

A:  Um… yes, that has happened. 

Q:  Was it meaningful?

A:  Um, well Hoid considers everything meaningful.

Q:  Would Sazed consider it meaningful?

A:  Ok, Sazed considers every individual important.

Q:  Are we ever going to get an official Cosmere timeline?

A:  Yes, we will eventually.  We’re really close to being able to release it, I’m not sure when we will.  Um, the real trick is now that we’re locking down White Sand that’s kind of like the last wild card since the novel version wasn’t cannon.  So it’s like where do we make sure this is, and stuff like that. So yeah once White Sand is out everything should be locked down.  The trick is, like if I release it there are certain—like where does Sixth of the Dusk take place that’s something I don’t want because there are spoilers…

Q:  It is actually canon that Era 2 takes place between the first half and second half of Stormlight?

A:  Well I haven’t written the second half of Stormlight so…

Q:  But does it take place after the first half?

A:  Yes it takes place sometime after the first half, but it depends on how long I break and things like that, whether they overlap, maybe it takes place after 7, maybe 5, like we’ll see when I get there how many years, because the timing on those is more tight.

Q:  So they’re more interwoven, those are closer to the same time period.

A:  They are much closer to the same timeline, which is why I have to be dodgy on those ones, mostly just because they are on a similar timeline. 

1:26:30

[Paraphrased]  Lift will be a small viewpoint in the upcoming Stormlight book, will have a novella in the upcoming Cosmere collection, and is slated to be one of the “main” viewpoint characters in the back 5 of Stormlight. 

1:32:35

Q:  I was wondering if the size of a metal determines the amount of Feruchemical charge in it.

A:  Yes

Q:  So how does that scale, like, in terms of the volume or mass of the metal or whatever?

A:  […] It does not scale as logically as you think it does.  It’s more like certain thresholds.  You can store Hemalurgy or Feruchemical charge even in a very small piece of metal, but larger pieces of metal will let you get more.

1:34:55

Q:  In the Stormlight archives, are you going to switch to more of the Knights Radiants as they show up in the series, or are you going to switch to [rest of question garbled by noise]

A:  So, the first 5 are focused on who you’ve seen already, Kaladin, Shallan, Dalinar, Eshonai, Szeth.  We will have a break, and then the back 5 will focus on some other characters, though the ones from the first 5 that survive will still be moderately important characters in the later ones as well.

Q:  And there won’t be a weird love triangle between Kaladin, Shallan, and…

A:  IIIII… will try my best not to be weird [laughs].

1:37:25

Q:  Is the Felt question the one you got away with?

A:  No, that really is, Felt really is Felt.  He’s been around, let’s just say.

Q:  Are there more places around I should look for him?

A:  Eeehhhh, there are more places you could look for him, whether you find him or not is a matter of… there are things that he said in Mistborn that are relevant in other ways.  These are not huge big things, when you read them you’ll be like ‘oh interesting’.

1:38:50

[shameless self-promotion for my little retinue (me, my girlfriend, and Jeffywan) who were the big Cosmere trivia winners in the prior panel!  Questions were HARD but we won and got some really cool Sanderson-related prizes.  If anyone is interested I can post pictures.  Ok, back to more relevant things J]

1:39:50

Q: [Question about unreliable narratives and the distinction of limited perspective vs unreliable with intent, and who would be a good example of the second in the Cosmere]

A:  Hoid can be very intentionally misleading.  The thing is, there aren’t many first person viewpoints in Cosmere stories so if its ever from someone’s actual viewpoint, um, like Kelsier is a little unreliable in his viewpoint in that he doesn’t go into his plan, which is technically unreliable narrator and technically by intent, but it’s more like ‘I can’t think about this’ but is also him lying to the narrator a little bit.  Kelsier is probably the best example.

1:43:10

Q:  Did Kelsier fill Copperminds for other reasons that just to share knowledge?  Did he want to forget certain memories? 

[brandon then sees that we are asking him to sign two AMAZING Stormlight bookmarks bought from Michael Whelan’s website and comments on them]

A:  [He writes “Yes.  Yes.”  in the book]  Those may not be causally related.  You asked two separate questions and got two separate answers.

Q:  The man speaking with Nale in the Words of Radiance prologue, the one talking about Ash getting worse, which is he—a Herald or a Squire?

A:  Um… he is not a Squire.

1:44:55

Q:  [i wrote “Has Kelsier ever physically been on Sel?” in my book, to which he wrote “RAFO!”

Q:  Is Austre Endowment by a different name?

A:  RAFO

Q:  Has TenSoon ever left Scadrial?

A:  RAFO.  I believe that I have said there are kandra on other planets, but I haven’t said if it’s TenSoon or not. 

1:43:10

Q:  Did Kelsier fill Copperminds for other reasons that just to share knowledge?  Did he want to forget certain memories? 

[brandon then sees that we are asking him to sign two AMAZING Stormlight bookmarks bought from Michael Whelan’s website and comments on them]

A:  [He writes “Yes.  Yes.”  in the book]  Those may not be causally related.  You asked two separate questions and got two separate answers.

I am eternally amazed by how shifty Brandon can get when answering questions.

@ Ruro272, post #107 - Thank you for this transcription, which I combined with another along with some of my own notes to add to the Theoryland database
http://theoryland.com/newanswer.php?i=1121

"Q:  Could a Rosharan be Hemalurgically spiked with a gem or fabrial?

A:  (answer not spoken but girl’s response is a sound of exasperation and the artist next to Brandon laughs almost mockingly, so I sense that he wrote RAFO in her book, or something equally unimportant.  Maybe somebody on the 17th Shard knows exactly what he wrote!)"

This was RAFO (she asked the question for me, and I took a picture of Q&A)

All right, double-posting but for a good reason:  I was able to record nearly two hours of the book signing and gleaned some good Cosmere tidbits.  I've transcribed as closely worded as possible the questions and answers below.  

I'll tell you, the most frustrating thing about listening to this are all the times Brandon asks "Do you have any questions for me?" and the person responds "Hmmm... nope!"  I just want to hand out little cards with questions to all these people :P

Oudeis has actually done this, with excellent results.

Ruro272, thanks, and thanks even more for transcribing it! Lot of RAFos, but there's some interesting stuff there. Wish I could live in US sometimes, I could go to cons...  <_<  

I wonder whether we'll see practical application of this "combining spren" stuff. If we jumbled together rainspren and heatspren, would we get steamspren? What would it feel like to the spren, anyway? 

The Great Threnody Question getting answered in Arcanum is good, very good (BTW, we have to come up with some shorthand, like WoK, WoR, TFE. Can't be AU, it already means alternative universe. ArUn?).

And oh, to be a fly on the wall when Hoid and Sazed interacted...  :lol:

Q:  The man speaking with Nale in the Words of Radiance prologue, the one talking about Ash getting worse, which is he—a Herald or a Squire?

A:  Um… he is not a Squire.

Wasn't he supposed to be Kalak? I've heard a lot of people saying it was Kalak.

I lot of us have been assuming it's Kalak, but it's not a very good assumption. It's largely based on him calling Shalash by her real name - Ash - which suggests familiarity, and then excluding the other male Heralds. I don't remember the exact reasons Kalak was decided to be the most likely candidate anymore.

Wasn't he supposed to be Kalak? I've heard a lot of people saying it was Kalak.

I lot of us have been assuming it's Kalak, but it's not a very good assumption. It's largely based on him calling Shalash by her real name - Ash - which suggests familiarity, and then excluding the other male Heralds. I don't remember the exact reasons Kalak was decided to be the most likely candidate anymore.

Most people do believe him to be a Herald, but I had some pet theories about that.  First of all, the fellow doesn't seem very... Herald-y... in my opinion.  He's sort of whiny, rambling in his statements, and "lets out a squeak" and hurries away when he sees Jasnah.  Just didn't sound like what I imagined a mighty Herald well over 4500 years old might act, but more specifically there was this line he says: "I don't like this.  What we've done is wrong.  That creature carries my lord's own Blade."  I realize that Jezrien was considered King of all Heralds, but I suspected that this guy so familiar with Nale and Ash might actually have been a Squire, possibly even an ancient one, under Jezrien that was currently with Nale since Jezrien seems to be off doing his own thing.

Obviously Brandon's answer poos all over that theory, which is totally fine by me.  The secondary reason to ask him this was a failed attempt to get him to confirm that the guy is indeed a Herald to support the popular theory.  Alas, Brandon seems quite sure that he will never let that detail slip.

Edited by Ruro272

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_kNPxqRnJfDUjhkbEhJOTVRUWs

*snip*

1:12:20

Q:  Could a Rosharan be Hemalurgically spiked with a gem or fabrial?

A:  (answer not spoken but girl’s response is a sound of exasperation and the artist next to Brandon laughs almost mockingly, so I sense that he wrote RAFO in her book, or something equally unimportant.  Maybe somebody on the 17th Shard knows exactly what he wrote!)

*snip*

He almost certainly wrote RAFO.  Someone's asked about gemstone spikes before and got a RAFO.

I wanted a few days to digest this and maybe see if someone else caught what (I think) I caught.  A quick review of the forum doesn't seem to show that anyone else did, so maybe I'm just way out there.  But I'll put this idea out here anyway:

Actually, I think the wiggling around happened specifically with the number of epic-level spren, Shards, Bondsmiths and his reference of Cusicesh.  

Q: Talking about the Stormfather, are the Nightwatcher and the giant water spren, Cusicesh, are they on the same level?

A: The Nightwatcher, yes. Um...uh...there are...I would say, a level below the Stormfather and the Nightwatcher who are also a much bigger deal than something like one of the sapient spren, and that’s what Cusicesh is.

Q: So the Nightwatcher is a spren?

A: They call the Nightwatcher a spren. Everyone in the books thinks the Nightwatcher is a spren. That’s what they would call...that’s what they would call, if they knew what Honor was, they would call Honor a spren. A spren is Investiture that is alive. So they would call Nightblood a spren. That’s the word for what all of these things are. They would probably call Adonalsium a spren. [Laughter] If...Right...So.

Q: When it comes to the… epic-level spren on Roshar, like the Nightwatcher and Stormfather - is the number of epic-level spren equal to the number of Bondsmiths that you have on Roshar?

A: Hm, is the number of epic-level spren related to the number of Bondsmiths you have? Well, I’ve said there’s a maximum of three. And there are three Shards involved in Roshar. I’m not gonna tell you if that’s a coincidence or not. Sorry.

Brandon never answers the actual question; as a matter of fact Brandon actually creates the connection between Bondsmith and Shards, substituting that for the original question about the “epic-level” spren.  And then later suggesting that any Investiture that is alive would be called a spren on Roshar.  Looks like classic misdirection to me.

My (slightly) loony theory: Cusicesh the Protector is only a lower level of spren than the Nightwatcher and Stormfather  as a result of the Recreance.  Maybe a Bondsmith was bound to Cusicesh and broke the bond in such a way that left it in its current state.

First remember, what the Stormfather says when he was  initially reluctant to bond with Dalinar:  

“I AM THE STORMFATHER.  I WILL NOT LET MYSELF BE BOUND IN SUCH A WAY AS TO KILL ME!” 

Cusicesh’s apparent lack of mental faculties could be considered “death” by it's fellow epic level spren.  It could also lead to Cusicesh being considered as on a “lower level” than Nightwatcher and Stormfather. (Cusicesh is normally "epic level," but the breaking of the bond left it without all of its cognitive abilities)  In effect, it experienced death similar to the way the other bonding spren "died," but instead of manifesting as a dead shardblade it manifests as a four legged, face-shifting creature out of Kasitor Bay.

Second, it would fit as an elemental theme.  Stormfather is located/represents the air/wind.  Nightwatcher can be found in the Valley (the mountains in between Emul and Greater Hexi) and represents the land/earth.  Cusciesh the Protector is currently located in Kasitor Bay in Iri and represents the ocean/water. 

Third, the other epic level spren all seem to be able to affect humans mentally.  Nightwatcher’s boons seem to have some mental impact (Dalinar and Shshshsh, Av’s father seeing things upside down, etc); Stormfather can send visions; Cusicesh leaves a feeling of being “drained” by all who witness it.

Finally (and this may be my weakest point) the relationship of Stormfather/Nightwatcher/Cusicesh to Honor and Cultivation could be thematically similar to the relationship of Allomancy/Hemalurgy/Feruchemy to Preservation and Ruin.  Not in terms of magic systems, but moreso that the Shards each have 1 spren that represents them (Honor= Stormfather, Cultivation= Nightwatcher) and 1 spren that is a combination of the two (Honor/Cultivation= Cusicesh).

(I have an even loonier theory that maybe the series of faces that Cusicesh shifts through at exactly 7:46am has to do with (former or potential) Nahel Bond recipients, but there is absolutely no basis for that other than a "that would be cool" feeling)  

Anyway, I think the item that Brandon was able to wiggle out of was the number of epic level spren being equal to the number of Bondsmiths.

Edited by KiManiak

How about this: 

There is some precedent for Bondsmiths being able to affect a large number of people with their abilities. Locking the Voidbringers into their parshmen form, for example. What if Cusicesh was bound, in some way, to all of the Radiants and/or their spren? And so on the day of the Recreance - at 7:46, I would guess - he "died" (along the lines of what KiManiak suggests), and the faces he cycles through are the faces of the Radiants who participated in the Recreance?

How about this:

There is some precedent for Bondsmiths being able to affect a large number of people with their abilities. Locking the Voidbringers into their parshmen form, for example. What if Cusicesh was bound, in some way, to all of the Radiants and/or their spren? And so on the day of the Recreance - at 7:46, I would guess - he "died" (along the lines of what KiManiak suggests), and the faces he cycles through are the faces of the Radiants who participated in the Recreance?

My question in the AMA about what time of day the Recreance actually happened was because I was thinking along similar lines, meaning the two events were linked Edited by ParadoxSpren

My question in the AMA about what time of day the Recreance actually happened was because I was thinking along similar lines, meaning the two events were linked

I don't necessarily remember the question - did you get RAFO'd?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 4/28/2016 at 10:43 AM, Rasarr said:

I suspect this is the one whether Khriss is working with 17th Shard at the time of Secret History (55:18). I'm guessing the meaning of the question was whether 17th Shard had any interest in Preservation's death and while Brandon did go on a tangent about her goals and Edward-Snowden-like philosophy, if you could put it that way, but he didn't say whether or not she was helping the 17th Shard by the time of Secret History.

Actually, no. The question about Khriss (and Brandon knows me well enough to know what I was asking) was straightforward in its meaning: Is Khriss, in general and at the time of M:SH, working directly with/for the 17th Shard? His answer was exactly what I wanted to know: she's a freedom-of-information person, a freelancer who will share what information she has with anyone, as long as she believes they are well-intentioned toward sentient life. She has no other agenda. Actually, his answer was far more than I expected to get from him on the subject of Khriss's motivations; at best, I thought he might say something like, "...Not... currently... as of M:SH," or something.

Whatever she may have participated in at past times, her goal is just to learn, and to share that knowledge as much as possible. So if the 17th Shard asks her about something, she'll answer. If Hoid asks her, she might whack him upside the head, but she'll most likely answer. It wouldn't bother her in the least if two factions with different goals asked her for the same information - she'd give it to them both, as long as she was reasonably certain neither of them was trying to destroy the Cosmere. 

This fits her character in White Sand; she's really a pure scientist, trying to avoid making unacknowledged assumptions, trying to figure out how the Cosmere works, because she wants to know and she expects other people to want to know too. So it was a very satisfying answer.