[New WoB] Allomantic Bronze & the Listener Rhythms

Aethenoth

I received my copy of Elantris with an answer to a question I asked, and didn't see a better thread to share it in that was still open. 

Q: Can an allomantic bronze burner hear the rhythms on Roshar?

A: Yes, this is possible.

Hopefully that was a useful bit to ask about!

I received my copy of Elantris with an answer to a question I asked, and didn't see a better thread to share it in that was still open. 

Very well done. That's a useful answer to me at least.

Now that's interesting. Useful, too. Thanks for asking about it!

Split this off into it's own thread.  In the future with stuff like this you are allowed to start a new thread.  Event threads should really only be for stuff from the event.

Anyway, this is a very interesting revelation, and one that I don't think I had ever contemplated on.  Thanks for asking!  If possible do you think you could post a picture?

This WoB means that on Scadrial there are no Rhythms or some Bronze Misting will have to hear them.

But we know that the Rhythms are something not dependant from the Listener and they aren't a phenomeno limitated to Roshar. (We have a old WoB)

If we puts together this two informations we may think that the Rhythms have a source (or more) and they "travels" in specific path in the space... and Roshar is in one of this path.

The possibility of Shard induced signal became more likely.

Thanks Weiry! I'll start a new thread next time. 

I thought of it when rereading the Mistborn books, and the bits about Vin hearing the pool made me think of the listeners. Of course this just brings up all kinds of other questions. Does this signify the rhythms are then generated from an investiture source(s)? And if a listener snuck through a pool to Scadrial, would they be the ultimate, always on Seeker? I think they'd be the equivalent of a savant that burned 24/7 their whole lives, so maybe they'd be sensitive enough to pick out feruchemical usage nearby as well.

Picture attached!

post-7030-0-09337600-1462284913_thumb.jp

Huh, something ate my reply...

@Yata, can you get us that WoB verbatim? Because I speculate that the rhythms are something either entirely Spiritual, or with a strong Spiritual aspect - both of which would make them Roshar-agnostic, as location is virtually irrelevant in the Spiritual Realm. 

This WoB means that on Scadrial there are no Rhythms or some Bronze Misting will have to hear them.

I don't think we can definitively say that.  We know that Allomantic bronze can detect Feruchemy (or really any kinetic Investiture) but nobody has figured out how yet, so it stands to reason that while it is possible use bronze to detect the Rhythms it would take some measure of practice.

Huh, something ate my reply...

@Yata, can you get us that WoB verbatim? Because I speculate that the rhythms are something either entirely Spiritual, or with a strong Spiritual aspect - both of which would make them Roshar-agnostic, as location is virtually irrelevant in the Spiritual Realm. 

Wait... the idea of Rhythms as Space-dependant it's mine, not from WoB or any other sure source.

I will try to find the WoB I talked about, but in the meanwhile it was something like:

"If every Listener died... would  it still be Rhythms ? Yes"

In this WoB, Mister Sanderson said only that Rhythms aren't something created by the Listeners.

I said Rhytms aren't everywhere (or if you like more that "Rhythms are space-dependant") just because if a Misting may hear them. someone on Scadrial would notice it.

But like WeiryWriter said, it possible that a Allomancer needs practice for this kind of task

Edited by Yata

I suspect that Yata is referring to this WoB:

Brandon Sanderson AMA 2015

Q: Hypothetically, if all of the Listeners were to go extinct would the Rhythms still exist?

A: Yes.
Q: Are there any other species in the cosmere that also interact with the Rhythms like the listeners do? (Though not necessarily in the same way?)
A: Yes.

Regarding your suspicions that they are wholely or at least largely Spiritual, this WoB seems to support that idea:

Calamity Tour - Houston, TX
Me: Would a Connection medallion accurately interpret a Listener’s Rhythms?
BS: Yes, it would, but not all of it, some would be lost in translation. You’d probably lose some of the nuance. It would probably be better to give the medallion to someone who couldn't understand it than someone who spoke it.
Edited by Iron Eyes

Huh, what if these are related to that Path? The seven levels or planes or some such. I honestly don't remember the name or even enough to look it up but I'm sure someone knows what I'm referring to.

Like if there is a Sound on each plane or something. I don't know.

Huh, what if these are related to that Path? The seven levels or planes or some such. I honestly don't remember the name or even enough to look it up but I'm sure someone knows what I'm referring to.

Like if there is a Sound on each plane or something. I don't know.

The Iriali Long Trail? 

I suspect that Yata is referring to this WoB:

Regarding your suspicions that they are wholely or at least largely Spiritual, this WoB seems to support that idea:

Yes.. Thank you... I can't find it :(

Yes.. Thank you... I can't find it :(

No problem, glad to help. Yeah... for some reason a lot of the AMA stuff and several of the signing questions for around the same time never ended up on Theoryland. I was only able to find it because I remembered it was from the AMA last year and I just searched through the thread until I found it.

INTERVIEW: Mar 22nd, 2014

WoR Signing Report - Argent (Verbatim)

QUESTION

Is there a way to tell between different Investitures?

BRANDON SANDERSON

[brandon misunderstood the question a little in the beginning - he thought the question was "can every Shard's magic detect other Investitures?"] Most of the magics have built into them that ability, but I wouldn't say that everyone does. I am trying to remember if all of them have... I lot of them have a power that would allow you to do that, but I don't know if every one of them does.

QUESTION

[Clarification]

BRANDON SANDERSON

If you were really good at burning bronze, you could distinguish between different types of Investiture from different planets even. And that sort of skill does exist in other magic systems.

ARGENT

Is it like a wavelength kind of thing?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yea, that's exactly what it is.

TAGS

investiture,

This WoB from Argent seems to indicate, to me at least, that all investiture gives off some kind of wavelength. I think that that the Listener's spiritual physiology has allowed them to tap into a strange pool of investiture (or something like this, I don't really know) that can relay emotion to one another by feeling the other tap into a rhyth, similar to how a seeker can when burning Bronze.

Some support for this theory is found in Secret History

when we see messages and commands being sent by Ruin via what can only be described as waves of investiture

Edited by Blightsong

• Chaos locked this topic