List of Cosmere easter eggs in one spot .. please add anything we missed !!

mthorp25

Hello 17th shard people. First off, i would like to thank user "rasarr" for putting this list together, & "Landis963" for helping with some of the info. 

I am putting it here in the hopes that this can be a fluid list, and that anything missed can be added. I hope i am posting this in the right spot. 

• General:
    - The author of Ars Arcana is Khriss, of White Sand
    - The maps are obtained by Nazh, Khriss' coworker/errand boy, who's from Threnody, the world of Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell

• Elantris:
    - The Lake where the Hoed are being dissolved is Devotion's Shardpool
    - "Domi" people curse by is probably short from Dominion, one of Sel's Shards (the way it's spoken is different, though, so it's probably not an ironclad Easter-Egg - unless we consider some sort of language drift)
    - Svarkiss may or may not be related to Odium
    - Hoid appears helping Sarene with her luggage near the end of the story
    - In 10th Anniversary edition there is a moment when Hoid discusses not being able to become an Elantrian with a Skaze

• Emperor's Soul:
    - The Emperor's fool who helped Shai steal the Moon Sceptre is Hoid
    - Shai descries objects having Cognitive and Spiritual "soul"; something we later see in WoR and M: SH

• The Final Empire:
    - Kelsier's informant is Hoid
    - The Pits of Hathsin are Ruin's Shardpool

• Well of Ascension:
    - Hoid is leading Terris refugees Elend and Spook encounter (half of this list will be Hoidspotting, huh?)
    - The Well itself is Preservation's Shardpool

• Hero of Ages:
    - Hoid is the informant Vin avoids because of Kelsier's ghost cluing her in not to approach him
    - Adonalsium and three parts of a person (Physical, Cognitive, Spiritual) are mentioned in the epigraphs

• Alloy of Law:
    - The marriage the Vanishers attack is apparently between a pair of Worldhoppers
    - Hoid is a beggar chatting with the couple during said wedding
    - Miles' last words are apparently not-accidentally similar to death rattles from Stormlight Archive

• Shadows of Self:
    - The brochure in the middle of the book contains a story of a woman stumbling upon what's apparently a Shardpool or other perpendicularity; she meets a Southern Scadrian/Iyatil-folk/Parshendi worldhopper
    - Hoid is Wax's carriage driver
    - The Red Rip (it was mentioned either there or in Bands) in the skies is the same astral feature as Taln's Scar in SA.

• Bands of Mourning: 
    - The beggar who gives Wax the coppermind is Hoid
    - The woman questioning Wax about allomantic physics at lady Kelesina's ball is Khriss
    - The brochure has an advert of "K and N" (Khriss and Nazh) searching for talking metal tools for unknown purpose
    - The brochure has a story in which we can apparently see Nazh shooting Threnodite Shades (from Shadows...) from some sort of a gun
    - The red-eyed "Fakeless" Immortal of Set may be a Voidbringer or a Svarkiss (or both!). At any rate, it's not from Scadrial.

• Secret History:
    - Leras has a knife that's apparently important and may be supernatural
    - He calls 16 a "sacred number"
    - He refers to Senna, who/what may be of some importance in Dragonsteel 
    - Drifter is Hoid
    - Leras knows Hoid under the name Cephandrius
    - The land Kelsier is in is Scadrial's equivalent of Roshar's Shadesmar; the Expanse of the Vapours from WoK's Shadesmar map
    - Kelsier meets with Khriss and Nazh, who are there to observe Preservation's death; they explain existence of different planets
    - Nazh leaves his silver knife with Kelsier; Kel loses it, and it may or may not be important; Nazh's knife is silver, which is anti-Shade on Threnody
    - Ire is from Sel; they mention guarding their borders from Threnodite Shades
    - The leader of Ire curses by Devotion
    - Ati refers to a world called Vax, which apparently looks similar to "Scadesmar"

• Warbreaker:
    - The storyteller Lightsong invites at one of the parties is Hoid
    - Nightblood was based on a Shardblade (not sure if this should be here, as it's a Wob)
    - There's a Terriswoman nurse somewhere in there 

• Sixth of the Dusk:
    A lot of evidence points to the Ones Above being Sci-fi era Scadrians

• Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell:
    - There has been speculation that the "real" White Fox was Hoid
    - The Evil is offworld, and may be connected to Odium in some way
    - Threnody is named in memorial of something, likely of Cosmeric importance

• Way of the Kings:
    - Wit is Hoid
    - The three travellers in Purelake interlude are Galladon, Demoux and Baon from ElantrisMistborn and White Sand respectively; they are after Hoid and belong to 17th Shard
    - The fish in Purelake have magic qualities reminescent of Aviars from Sixth of the Dusk
    - Purelake seems to enable worldhopping, as this is where the trio searches for Hoid
    - The letter from the epigraphs in Part 2 is from Hoid, likely addressed to Frost, who is a dragon and resides on another planet
    - The letter mentions Ati, Ruin's holder
    - Hoid used to use name Topaz
    - The colorful map of Shadesmar also points to other "expanses" of the Cognitive realm, including Expanse of Vibrance (possibly Nalthis) and Expanse of the Vapours (confirmed to be Scadrial)
    - Hoid is running away from someone; likely Rayse or 17th Shard
    - The white "sun" visible in Shadesmar (and in Shallan's chapter headers) is the Spiritual Realm

• Words of Radiance:
    - Zahel is Vasher from Warbreaker
    - Nazh is the ardent Rock chases away from Bridge Four; he was sketching bridgemen tattoos
    - Iyatil's mask suggests she has some connection to Southern Scadrians; she's a worldhopper
    - Mraize is a worldhopper; his collection includes a rare flower from Nalthis, a lock of hair (possibly Royal Locks, also from Nalthis), a vial of sand from Taldain (White Sand), a silver knife from Threnody and an unusual gem (could be from yet-unpublished Aether of Night) among others
    - At least one of the lakes on top of Horneater Peaks is a perpendicularity and might be Shardpool; the "god" Rock saw there was Hoid arriving on Roshar
    - The Purelake plague mentioned by the end is the common cold brought to Roshar by the three worldhoppers from WoK
    - Taln's Scar in the skies is the same thing as Red Rip from Mistborn 1.5
    - The sword Nin gives to Szeth by the end is Nightblood, of Warbreaker 
    - Iriali faith (from Ym's interlude) bears startling resemblance to cosmeric history
    - The letter of Part 4 is an answer to that from WoK, and possibly from Frost
    - The letter mentions Hoid having a gem that "died"; going by publicly available chapters of Liar of Partinel, the stone was an aether
    - The Ars Arcanum compares Rosharan lightweaving to Yolenian art of the same name
    - There's a man called Felt both here (on Dalinar's staff) and back in one of Mistborn books - YMMV whether this means something
    - Many graphics visible in beginnings of chapters are annotated by Nazh, including pages from Shallan's notebook, which he has apparently fished out from the bottom of the sea

So this is the list that was put together by "rasarr". Can anyone think of anything that was missed? Thank you for your help, and happy hunting !!

Cool list. Some things I found issues/questions with:

• Elantris:
    - "Domi" people curse by is probably short from Dominion, one of Sel's Shards (the way it's spoken is different, though, so it's probably not an ironclad Easter-Egg - unless we consider some sort of language drift)

• Alloy of Law:
    - The marriage the Vanishers attack is apparently between a pair of Worldhoppers

• Shadows of Self:
    - The brochure in the middle of the book contains a story of a woman stumbling upon what's apparently a Shardpool or other perpendicularity; she meets a Southern Scadrian/Iyatil-folk/Parshendi worldhopper

• Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell:
    - The Evil is offworld, and may be connected to Odium in some way

• Way of the Kings:
    - The white "sun" visible in Shadesmar (and in Shallan's chapter headers) is the Spiritual Realm

• Words of Radiance:
    - Iyatil's mask suggests she has some connection to Southern Scadrians; she's a worldhopper
    - The letter mentions Hoid having a gem that "died"; going by publicly available chapters of Liar of Partinel, the stone was an aether

Domi is not related to Dominion - it comes from Aon Omi, which means love. I'd strike this from the list entirely.

The cameos in Alloy aren't necessarily worldhoppers (although they might be) - they two superfans (and founders of this from, if I recall correctly) who got married IRL, and Brandon gave them a cameo getting married in Alloy. As far as I know, there is no further significance to the characters.

In the Shadows of Self broadsheet, it's been confirmed to be a Southern Scadrian, not a Parshendi.

Can you source the "Sun" in Shadesmar being the Spiritual Realm? I don't think I've heard that before, and I don't think it matches what we saw of the Spiritual Realm in Secret History.

Iyatil is Southern Scadrian in the same way Brandon is Danish; she has heritage from Scadrial, but she was not born there. (She was also not born on Roshar; we haven't seen the world she was born on, yet.)

Aethers may not remain in Liar of Partinel when it is eventually rewritten (they were originally from a different unpublished novel, and Brandon tried them out in Liar, but didn't like how it turned out), so I think the reference in the second Letter to the "gemstone" is referring to Hoid's name of "Topaz," something you mentioned as a WoK easter egg.

Cool list. Some things I found issues/questions with:

Domi is not related to Dominion - it comes from Aon Omi, which means love. I'd strike this from the list entirely.

The cameos in Alloy aren't necessarily worldhoppers (although they might be) - they two superfans (and founders of this from, if I recall correctly) who got married IRL, and Brandon gave them a cameo getting married in Alloy. As far as I know, there is no further significance to the characters.

In the Shadows of Self broadsheet, it's been confirmed to be a Southern Scadrian, not a Parshendi.

Can you source the "Sun" in Shadesmar being the Spiritual Realm? I don't think I've heard that before, and I don't think it matches what we saw of the Spiritual Realm in Secret History.

Iyatil is Southern Scadrian in the same way Brandon is Danish; she has heritage from Scadrial, but she was not born there. (She was also not born on Roshar; we haven't seen the world she was born on, yet.)

Aethers may not remain in Liar of Partinel when it is eventually rewritten (they were originally from a different unpublished novel, and Brandon tried them out in Liar, but didn't like how it turned out), so I think the reference in the second Letter to the "gemstone" is referring to Hoid's name of "Topaz," something you mentioned as a WoK easter egg.

I seem to recall that Mi'chelle's counterpart in AoL is from Nalthis.  Other than that, yeah, they're not really important.  

Fair points you're raising, Pagerunner, though I'd argue a few.

So it's not a reference to Dominion but Devotion? I'd keep it on the list. Still an Easter Egg!

I don't have a book on hand right now, but I believe I recall Spiritual Realm in SH looking much like a sun over the horizon. We'd need someone who can peruse the book right now, though. Otherwise, I'm not quite certain how I came to the conclusion either... I'm just somehow confident this is it  :huh:  :huh:

She does have some connection to SoScads, which is exactly what I meant by this position on the list.

Frankly, when I saw "now that it is dead", I immediately thought of the aether in the public chapters of Liar saying that another aether should be allowed to die. I'd include it as an Easter Egg for people who read that; although I agree that it might just as well refer to Hoid's identity as Topaz being "dead". I don't think that aethers will remain in Liar either, but Aether of Night was mentioned as being something of work in progress in the last State of Sanderson; perhaps out esteemed author is laying down clues.

I don't have a book on hand right now, but I believe I recall Spiritual Realm in SH looking much like a sun over the horizon. We'd need someone who can peruse the book right now, though. Otherwise, I'm not quite certain how I came to the conclusion either... I'm just somehow confident this is it  :huh:  :huh:

Spoiler SH:

it's when Leras explains to Kel the Realmatic Theory... something like "The Spiritual Realm are like the Sun, the Physical are the shadow on the earth and the Cognitive what connect the two things (like sunray or another analogy)"... But me too think that the White Sun above was the Spiritual, and this to me explain why the Shards was like cloud who descend from "above" (the spiritual realm) when they want to interact with the Cognitive and Physical... After all the Shard's power stay in the Spiritual and their push their coscence through the other realms.

The god beyond is an easter egg. Though I don't know all the times its mentioned. It's a god on Threnoby, Wayne mentions it at one point, and I think there are a few other times it casually gets thrown into dialogue.

• 1 year later...
On 26/03/2016 at 9:49 AM, folly said:

The god beyond is an easter egg. Though I don't know all the times its mentioned. It's a god on Threnoby, Wayne mentions it at one point, and I think there are a few other times it casually gets thrown into dialogue.

Spoiler

[Oathbringer Spoilers!]

Dalinar also frequently mentions in the book that while he doesn't believe the Almighty (Honour) was god, he believes he can feel something even bigger beyond that, possibly a reference to the god beyond.

On 3/24/2016 at 7:50 AM, Pagerunner said:

I'm moderately sure that I've read a WoB where Brandon confirmed Iyatil is from Silverlight. I'm trying to track it down now and will add it when I find it.

Edit, Here it is:

JordanCon 2016 (April 23, 2016)
#12 Share
Play/Pause

Questioner

Obviously the world covers different planets, but most people on all the individual planets don't know about the other planets. Is there a planet within the cosmere where worldhopping is common knowledge?

Brandon Sanderson

Is there a planet in the cosmere where worldhopping is common knowledge. Um… it's not a planet.

Bystander

It's a space station? *laughter* That's no moon!

Brandon Sanderson

That's not as far off as people laughing think that it is. *laughter* It's not a space station, it's not that futuristic, but there is a place in the cosmere where a lot of worldhoppers have settled, is where Iyatil is from, even though her ethnicity is not from there.

Clarifying question… Is that place in the Physical Realm?

Brandon Sanderson

*laughs* RAFO!

Footnote: Brandon has since confirmed that the worldhopper colony, named Silverlight, is located in the Cognitive Realm.

Edited by The Sovereign

On 3/24/2016 at 8:50 AM, Rasarr said:

Frankly, when I saw "now that it is dead", I immediately thought of the aether in the public chapters of Liar saying that another aether should be allowed to die. I'd include it as an Easter Egg for people who read that; although I agree that it might just as well refer to Hoid's identity as Topaz being "dead". I don't think that aethers will remain in Liar either, but Aether of Night was mentioned as being something of work in progress in the last State of Sanderson; perhaps out esteemed author is laying down clues.

It isn't referring to his identity as Topaz, it's referring to the gemstone itself. 

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/80/#e5301

Questioner

The Second Letter, Frost mentions a gemstone, is that in the Moon Scepter?

Brandon Sanderson

No, good question. That is a Topaz, which was associated with him for a long time and had some mystical properties.

While escaping the Palace at the end of The Emperor's Soul Shai passes a Derethi Gyorn.

Also, to add to @Pagerunner's list of issues:

The red-eyed "Fakeless" Immortal of Set may be a Voidbringer or a Svarkiss (or both!). At any rate, it's not from Scadrial

We know that Red in the Cosmere implies that a Shard is co-opting the Investiture of another Shard. It seems much more likely that the Red-Eyed Faceless immortals are actually Kandra whom's Spikes are made with another Shard's metal [I would guess Autonomy based on context]. 

20 minutes ago, Leyrann said:

I don't see how that's a Cosmere easter egg when gyorns are also Selish?

Well, the two stories are almost completely unrelated. Without Cosmeric knowledge you probably wouldn't even know the stories take place on the same world, unless you picked up on the one line about Jindoese people, the Gyorn, or the similarities between Soul Stamps and Aons (which without Cosmeric knowledge ends at "they are both pictographs"). Yes, the examples are both from books on Sel but they most certainly would qualify as easter eggs...

Edited by The Sovereign
Grammar is important.

On 3/24/2016 at 4:27 AM, mthorp25 said:

There's a Terriswoman nurse somewhere in there 

"#15
DrogaKrolow
Where the hell in Warbreaker is the Terris lady?

Brandon Sanderson
Hehehe. Do you have any guesses?

DrogaKrolow
Nurses. One of them.

Brandon Sanderson
*pauses* Why do you guess that?

DrogaKrolow
I don't know.

Brandon Sanderson
That's a pretty good guess.

DrogaKrolow
I mean they are the only females apart from the main characters who are somehow important. So I guess somewhere there because I don't think she's like in the fifth plane somewhere in the back of the alley where someone walks by.

Brandon Sanderson
That’s a very good guess. I guess you have narrowed down your options. Um, yeah… um...so… I’m just gonna say that’s a ththth-- the-- he seems-- Yeah. So, there you go. I'm surprised...

...You’re not supposed to be able to guess who the Terriswoman is, by the way.

DrogaKrolow
So we will see her somewhere else?

Brandon Sanderson
Yes, you will see her somewhere else. Yeah, you're not supposed to be able to guess. So that's why I'm surprised."

"

TheHunter (paraphrased)
[Brandon Sanderson] said that someone in Poland had figured it out who the Terriswoman in Warbreaker was, and I asked him if it was Lemex's nurse.

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)
He nodded and smiled. He said he had no idea how anyone figured it out, which is interesting."

Someone in Poland guessed according to Arcanum (which at this point I'm guessing is what WoB means.)

Edited by Shallan's Ward

On 3/26/2016 at 5:49 PM, folly said:

I think that the 'god beyond' is the closest  thing in the Cosmere to the god that Sanderson himself worships. And there for is never going to be a major part of the story.  

• Chaos locked this topic