Jasnah on Scadrial

Farnsworth

In chapter 12 of BoM, There is this lady who is dancing with Wax. She seems super curious about Wax's abilites, and whether his Skimmer abilities make him actually storing more mass, or just have the planet recognize him more. Could she be Jasnah? Her physical appearance matches. She also mentions the mortality rate on Scadrial as compared to other planets.

In chapter 12 of BoM, There is this lady who is dancing with Wax. She seems super curious about Wax's abilites, and whether his Skimmer abilities make him actually storing more mass, or just have the planet recognize him more. Could she be Jasnah? Her physical appearance matches. She also mentions the mortality rate on Scadrial as compared to other planets.

I noticed this as well! I was thinking the same thing, but didn't feel there was enough evidence to prove anything

I noticed this as well! I was thinking the same thing, but didn't feel there was enough evidence to prove anything

I don't believe Jasnah is as dark-skinned as Wax's impromptu dance partner is described, and in any event, while Jasnah is scholarly, she's more focused on history (with a specialization in the Voidbringers) than Invested physics.  Wax's dance partner is actually Khriss, from White Sand.  Also she's the author of the Ars Arcanum epilogues.  If it were not 2 AM where I am, I'd dig out all the evidence connecting Khriss to Wax's dance partner, but it is, so I won't.  

Yeah, like Landis said. That woman wasn't Jasnah, She is a character from White Sand. Anyway the Alethi haven't dark skin and I suppose that any Roshar people off-world would be easy to spot for their peculiar eyes (unless the Shin of course)

Yeah, like Landis said. That woman wasn't Jasnah, She is a character from White Sand. Anyway the Alethi haven't dark skin and I suppose that any Roshar people off-world would be easy to spot for their peculiar eyes (unless the Shin of course)

Actually the Alethi are canonically darker-skinned.  Brandon has described them as looking like people of mixed Hawaiian-Asian descent, but since they don't have an exact Earth-analogue he has also said that some people would say thy look Arabic or Indian.

When Kelsier saw Khriss in Secret History, I don't think she was described as dark skinned. It does seem more Khriss like to be interested with science rather than history, but would Khriss already know the answers to all the questions she was asking? She knows a lot already. Also, would it make sense for Jasnah to be off Roshar, because of what she was talking to Wit about during the epilogue?

"[Kelsier] prowled closer, ...pick[ing] out two people.  ... The other person {Khriss}, who sat on a small folding chair, might have been Terris.  There were some among their population who had a skin tone almost as dark as hers, though he'd also met some people from the southern dominances who were dark.  

Secret History, p. 88, Kindle Version.  

She looked to be Terris, judging by her dark skin - though hers was darker than most [Wax]'d seen.

Bands of Mourning, p. 154, Kindle Version.  

And I get the feeling that she's searching out Wax to help her choose between two equally viable hypotheses - much like we do to Sanderson whenever a signing comes up.  

Edited by Landis963

... but would Khriss already know the answers to all the questions she was asking? She knows a lot already. Also, would it make sense for Jasnah to be off Roshar, because of what she was talking to Wit about during the epilogue?

Khriss notes that Wax is only the third (?) of his particular flavor of Twinborn ever, so it's likely, or at least plausible, that she wouldn't have had the chance to interview the other two.

As for Jasnah, since the Wax & Wayne era takes place inside the gap between the first and second Stormlight mini-series, we know that Jasnah has returned there from her trip around Shadesmar. It's certainly possible that she left after book 5 and went to visit Scadrial, but given the overwhelming amount of evidence that Wax's dancer partner was Khriss, I don't think we need to entertain that possibility just yet.

• 3 weeks later...

I really like the possibility of it being Jasnah, though that may be the desperation at the idea of a worldhopper actually for once having an immediately identifiable method of worldhopping (Elsecalling is as close as you can get to the obvious answer for worldhopping). I have also heard the hypothesis that it might be Shai from Emperor's Soul.

• 1 year later...
  • Chaos locked this topic