I read Calamity first how badly have I ruined books 1 & 2

corematrix

Why do people do this?  I know I shouldn't care about what other people do, but people reading series out of order is one of my biggest pet peeves.

One of the first books I remember reading was the fourth in a series, though at the time I didn't know it. I have never done so again.

Eh, I don't know. My personal feeling is that you've committed an unforgivable crime, but I don't remember either one of the other books' climactic scenes being revealed exactly in Calamity. You'll know how and what Megan is immediately, so you lose that reveal. Same with Prof. You'll know that Steelheard is dead, but not how. Many of the events in Babylar are not referenced in Calamity either. As far as spoiling previous books go, Calamity is not the worst out there.

Why do people do this?  I know I shouldn't care about what other people do, but people reading series out of order is one of my biggest pet peeves.

This are thing someone may do for mistake.... you find a book in a book store, you buy it and after reading you discover that there are books before it.

There are things worst... My girlfriend for example read the last page of a book before start to reading it... she does this for every book... She said that motivate her to the reading.... I always found it an horrible habit.

This are thing someone may do for mistake.... you find a book in a book store, you buy it and after reading you discover that there are books before it.

There are things worst... My girlfriend for example read the last page of a book before start to reading it... she does this for every book... She said that motivate her to the reading.... I always found it an horrible habit.

get her to read alcatraz, that's thought out specifically to deal with that kind of people

as for the original question, i'm with argent there; not too badly as it could have been, you'll know who prof and megan are but nothing else of the plot.

Edited by king of nowhere

get her to read alcatraz, that's thought out specifically to deal with that kind of people

as for the original question, i'm with argent there; not too badly as it could have been, you'll know who prof and megan are but nothing else of the plot.

Unluckily Alcatraz don't exist in my language, and indeed I don't read it still

Call me Steris, but I can't fathom not doing the proper research on a book before starting it.  Even if I got a book I've never heard of as a gift, I would not start reading it until I confirmed that it is not a sequel.

Call me Steris, but I can't fathom not doing the proper research on a book before starting it.  Even if I got a book I've never heard of as a gift, I would not start reading it until I confirmed that it is not a sequel.

Ok, you're Steris.

but yeah, a quick google search lets you know what you're buying.

if you were steris, you'd buy everything the author of a book has written, down to the shoopping lists and his notebook from first grade, then you'd research every person he interacted with and buy everything written by them, then you researched into waht books has that guy read and buy all of them too. Then you'd start reading the book.

Well, it should be fairly obvious whether or not you were reading a sequel. I mean, I remember picking up Infernal Devices (Book 3 of the Mortal Engines). Within about 2 pages, I realized it was a sequel and stopped reading. I got a couple spoilers from Book 2 from that, but not nearly as many as I otherwise would have. Did you know it was a sequel?

I find a book in a bookstore with a convincing blurb, first thing I do is pull up Google on my phone. Same with video games, though those I've usually been tracking for months beforehand. When I see something I didn't know about though I look it up.

It really only takes maybe 15 seconds tops.

• 2 weeks later...

When I started the Dresden Files books, I started with book 6 (The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault....) because that is what the thrift store had. There were some reveals, but it wasn't the end of the world for the series, which I promptly devoured. 

You lost a few big reveals, but I think you will still really enjoy the build up to them. Sure you know how some things are going to end, but let's be honest. 99% of the time, the hero does not die in the story, so you really already knew that. 

Edited by ZenBossanova

Journey before Destination - while the reaching the destination is fun, only part of fun is reaching the end. Most of the fun is reading the specifics of all the things on the way. So you'll miss out on being surprised by some of the big reveals, but doesn't mean you won't enjoy the books. If you're like me anyhow. That sorta thing might ruin things for some people.

Now when I finally get around to Alcatraz, I have to read the last page first. LOL. (something I've never done before.)

My favorite teacher in high school used to tell us that "Great literature is meant not to be read, but to be re-read." When you re-read a book you can spot the foreshadowing, things that don't seem important suddenly are. It's a whole different reading experience. Read it once for the story, read it twice for the art. 

Edited by theuntaintedchild

• 2 weeks later...