Music you have made

The Invested Beard

Looking through and I haven't seen anything about creating music so I  thought I'd post a thread for anyone who writes/records music to post for others' enjoyment.

I'll start off with one of many bands I've been in, Awaken the Kraken! Circa 2005 - 2008 or so. Always been a little bummed that my drums couldn't fit in the little studio we recorded in so I had to use a set of V-Drums, but overall one of my faves since we were just a three piece. Enjoy.

https://www.reverbnation.com/awakenthekraken/songs

• 2 weeks later...

I have written a bunch of songs but recorded very few, so most of my music is electronic right now.

Here's one from my collective project ☨☨☃, created from a whim we had during a calculus class.

Ju✡ze

Don't blame me for the idea...

I've also finally found a group to play a string quartet I wrote, so I should have a (prolly low quality) recording of that pretty soon.

Edited by Gargoyle

• 2 months later...

Update:

New project my brother an I are working on. We are doing an album of Beatles songs done in mostly stripped down two man versions. I'm on Bass guitar, percussion and the higher tenor vocals and my brother's doing guitar and the lower vocal parts. We're just now finishing up the third song so that will be posted soon as well.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B7UnyohxddSNaXlxRkkySGZzeVk&usp=sharing

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried my hand at songwriting and haven't gotten far yet in terms of recorded or finished songs, but I have a few. Depression and illness have a way of bringing out songs from some songwriters, I've heard, but so far they've only dampened that in me, but I've recently begun trying harder again.

My songs are usually Christian in theme, some simple hymns repurposed, others original. I've started trying to write some that are just about my life or things I see around me too, like one for my kids. I have one song available online, but it's not really what I intended it to be, since I didn't get my vision across to my friend that mastered it for me. You can hear it if you're interested anyways at noisetrade.com/walker

I'll probably post some of my works in progress on my blog, so I can link to that when I do as well.

jW

@Jondesu Once I'm not at work I'll check it out. One thing I will tell you is that your struggle with creativity and depression/illness is something a lot of us have struggled with. Since you sound to be a fellow believer I would just encourage you to write honestly as if speaking to God, no matter what comes out. A lot of my original stuff would never fit too well into the normal worship music genre, but I've had a long held belief that music is God's language and no matter what you do, it speaks to Him and to others in some way that is beyond human understanding and can be quite therapeutic.

Here is a link to some of the music I've written for various soundtracks:

I'm also including a .pdf score for a piece I wrote about the Heralds from Stormlight, arranged for piano and violin. I haven't made a recording of that one, but if some of you feel like printing and playing, feel free :)

The-Heralds.pdf

Edited by AndrewStirlingMacDonald
Changed the url for the link

So I just realized that I could totally write a song based on The Stormlight Archives that would actually be enjoyable for people who have never heard of Sanderson, but extra enjoyable for those of us who have. I wrote up a portion of some possible verses, but wanted to see if anyone here would be interested in collaborating on it. I'm tentatively calling it "Riding the storm" or "Light in my veins".

Edit: here's what I have so far:

I'm riding on the storms
Light coursing through my veins
I stand before a sea of enemies
Red and white and black.

Imagination and art become reality
I see the pattern in everything around me

Unveil the lies within my world
Truth leads the way to radiant life

Those are just snippets of ideas, not necessarily the way or order in which I'd use them.

Edit 2: Only somewhat related, but I just publish a blog post about songwriting if anyone's interested: 

https://hairynerdchin.wordpress.com/2016/06/23/songwriting/

jW

Edited by Jondesu

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/20/2016 at 8:37 PM, AndrewStirlingMacDonald said:

Here is a link to some of the music I've written for various soundtracks:

I'm also including a .pdf score for a piece I wrote about the Heralds from Stormlight, arranged for piano and violin. I haven't made a recording of that one, but if some of you feel like printing and playing, feel free :)

The-Heralds.pdf

Hey - so I'm new to the forums and I've actually been working on Stormlight Archive music.  I'm having a blast and really enjoying the creative process of composing themes.  Currently I have: Tien's Theme: Kaladin Remembers and Veden Lullaby. I'm working on an overall theme for The Way of Kings (otherwise Dalinar's theme) and one for Shallan/Kharbranth.  

However, it's me (voice), my random assortment of recorders, whistles, flutes, a piano/keyboard and Audacity.  I'm curious, @AndrewStirlingMacDonald if you use a program like Finale/Sibelius or if it's all you playing live? And what program do you use to record?  I'm totally new to this.  

Even though I've shared these on the SA threads, I guess this may be a better thread in which to post them. Here are my two completed works thus far.  Encouragement and recording advice appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2016 at 10:47 AM, Tharatariel10 said:

Hey - so I'm new to the forums and I've actually been working on Stormlight Archive music.  I'm having a blast and really enjoying the creative process of composing themes.  Currently I have: Tien's Theme: Kaladin Remembers and Veden Lullaby. I'm working on an overall theme for The Way of Kings (otherwise Dalinar's theme) and one for Shallan/Kharbranth.  

However, it's me (voice), my random assortment of recorders, whistles, flutes, a piano/keyboard and Audacity.  I'm curious, @AndrewStirlingMacDonald if you use a program like Finale/Sibelius or if it's all you playing live? And what program do you use to record?  I'm totally new to this.  

Even though I've shared these on the SA threads, I guess this may be a better thread in which to post them. Here are my two completed works thus far.  Encouragement and recording advice appreciated!

Very nice, love the music, keep it coming!

So, I pretty much work with whatever I have. Most of my recordings are a combination of live players and synths. I compose in Finale, and I use Cubase and whatever the sound-mixing software was that came with Adobe CS5. Soundbooth, maybe? It has a killer de-hisser, for when you don't have a soundproof studio to record in. I recently subscribed to EWQL but haven't had much of a chance to play with it yet, though I'm very excited to get started.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
On 7/21/2016 at 2:28 PM, Jondesu said:

Another potential verse for the Radiant song above

jW

So I wanted to revisit this, and figured it was worth bringing back this thread even though it's definitely a necro.

I've got three verses I thought would be good, but decided to split them into three songs. Tentative titles and the lyrics I have so far for each one.

Riding the Winds

I'm no perfect hero

I'm cracked and broken

Failures haunt my past

Like hooks in my soul

I'm riding on the storms

Light coursing through my veins

I stand before a sea of enemies

Red and white and black

Secrets and Truth

Imagination and art become reality

I see the pattern in everything around me

Unveil the lies within my world

Truth leads the way to radiant life

The Man in Charge

Bring all men together

Bind them one and all

Honor dictates the path I must follow

What are the most important words I can say

I don't like that last one quite as much, but I'll play around with these.

https://soundcloud.com/strikerez/megalovania-remix

So, this was my first (and only) song I've finished. It isn't that great, and the last minute or so is really rushed. I just kind of lost motivation to make it my own, so it's not really a remix. Just a cover pretty much.

I've got some other works in progress, if you guys wanna hear them.

I created this for my high-school graduation project.
P.S.
I don't actually play the instrument in the picture, they just wanted it for the picture.

Edit: Here's the version I got when exporting from the composition software: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxY_vCZ5XkG4cHBrRzMxcnJkaG8 (it sounds a bit different).

Edit 2: working version steam city.wav.

steam_city.wav

Edited by kenod

• 6 months later...

Time to necro my own thread! yay!

So since last being around, my brother and I have made some real headway on our Beatles album. We now have ten songs done and you can check them all out here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B7UnyohxddSNd2FmYktQVXNIVzA?usp=sharing

Have a listen, let me know what you think. We only have about 5 songs left to record. Once we're done we plan on just giving it away to people so let me know if you want a copy.