[Calamity Spoiler] Questions after Calamity

Edgedancer

Do the epics still have weaknesses after Calamity left?

My impression is that yes, they still have them, but they don't totally negate their powers anymore, just weaken them.  I don't know that it's spelled out clearly enough to be sure, but Megan still showed signs of at least thinking she would be affected by fire if I remember correctly.

jW

My impression is that yes, they still have them, but they don't totally negate their powers anymore, just weaken them.  I don't know that it's spelled out clearly enough to be sure, but Megan still showed signs of at least thinking she would be affected by fire if I remember correctly.

jW

Yeah... maybe.  But we're the weaknesses given by Calamity?  So wouldn't they go away once he goes away?  Or is it more just the nightmares that were given by him?  Or just the darkness?    :unsure:  

Yeah... maybe. But we're the weaknesses given by Calamity? So wouldn't they go away once he goes away? Or is it more just the nightmares that were given by him? Or just the darkness? :unsure:

I thought he just amplified them, and caused the nightmares and excessive fears, along with the darkness.

jW

1.)  Presumably Megan hadn't actually been burned yet when she shot herself in Firefight.

2.)  The photo that Obliteration sees in Calamity is explicitly stated to be in a room with some odd angles.  i.e. the picture provides enough information to provide Obliteration with a target destination.

3.)  David is in denial throughout most of the book.  Presumably this made it so that the dowser didn't work.  Note also the dowser takes so long to give a negative reading that the guy using the dowser decides that an epic must be hiding in one of the nearby buildings and throwing the results off.

4.)  Initially, Prof didn't get his powers back.  He used the Nighthawk tech to mimic his powers.  But once he actively confronted his fears in order to do something selfless, his powers came back.  Best guess is that Calamity doesn't completely remove someone's power when he "takes it back".  He is instead actively suppressing it within that individual, and the individual can use it again when they remove Calamity's influence (i.e. by confronting their weakness while performing a selfless action).

Time for speculating. Once a power is given to a person a link between them and Calamity is established that Calamity can use to retake the powers (and subconsciously causes the darkness). When he moves the power back into himself the epic becomes human again, but the power still recognizes them. By overcoming their fears to save someone they can bust through the protection of Calamity's will and tear it back out of him by force.

The power projects from all their cells and is retaken from all cells, consistent with the motivators. The link seems to persist after death as well. Though why pain?

On a different note, according to Calamity Prof's motivators should've stopped working, so he actually showed up unarmed and his powers came back then.

Edited by natc

• Chaos locked this topic