Calamity Tour - Denver

Silverblade5

IIRC, on theoryland in one of the history of Aons WoBs is the story of Arelon's founding, and IIRC it stated that they found Elantris already prebuilt but empty of life. I'll need to recheck this but perhaps the Ire are Elantrians from before the Arelish kingdom's founding and they vacated Elantris due to Devotion's and Dominion's upcoming duke-out with Odium.

EDIT: Found it! History of Aon Ehe http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=768#2

Except that they call themselves by the Arelish name. The Ars Arcanum of the 10th Anniversary edition makes it clear that the Aons have always been consistent, but the people who founded Arelon invented the sounds to match the writing. Since they call themselves "Ire", they came about since the founding of Arelon.

Sounds like your answer applies to travel from Sel, but the other answer about roaming shades applies to travel through the Expanses to Sel.

No? If there's a cloud of noxious gas on my porch, saying, "I'll die if I leave the house" doesn't mean that people can cross my porch to enter my house perfectly fine. He was very clear and specific; the entire subastral is afflicted by a storm of raw power. The specific instance of "if you enter it through the pool" was the focus of the question, but it's not just the threshold of the pool that's the storm; it's the entire thing.

Except that they call themselves by the Arelish name. The Ars Arcanum of the 10th Anniversary edition makes it clear that the Aons have always been consistent, but the people who founded Arelon invented the sounds to match the writing. Since they call themselves "Ire", they came about since the founding of Arelon.

Are you quite sure? I have the book open in front of me right now and am looking at the line that says:

"Curiously, the Aons produce sounds otherwise unused in the general languages of the area [...] But who, then, created [the Aons]? And did they create them to desribe the landscape, or did the landscape somehow dictate the shape and sounds of the Aons?" [emphasis in original].

Look at the portion you cut out in the middle of your quote. "If one were to strip the Aons from the language - which is possible, as all concepts and ideas conveyed by the Aons can also be written in the more rational common script-one is left with a language family that is far more similar to Duladen than one might otherwise think."

You can write a sentence, and it doesn't matter if you use the "aon" for age or just spell out the word "age" (like the difference between kanji and hiragana in Japanese; the sounds that make up any kanji can be expressed through the syllables of hiragana) the meaning remains the same. You can draw the symbol that means "ire" on its own, or just the characters for the sounds "ee" "rr" "ay", and you end up with something that sounds a lot like Duladen.

Ehe appeared on a coal, and you can tell by drawing an Aon whether it works or not... but how exactly do you think the Arelish would ever have figured out the natural "sounds" the Aons are supposed to make? Does wind sound like the word for "wind"? When you drop a bar of gold, does the sound it make sound like someone saying "deo"? Does the gurgling of a brook sound like the word "eno"?

Look at the portion you cut out in the middle of your quote. "If one were to strip the Aons from the language - which is possible, as all concepts and ideas conveyed by the Aons can also be written in the more rational common script-one is left with a language family that is far more similar to Duladen than one might otherwise think."

You can write a sentence, and it doesn't matter if you use the "aon" for age or just spell out the word "age" (like the difference between kanji and hiragana in Japanese; the sounds that make up any kanji can be expressed through the syllables of hiragana) the meaning remains the same. You can draw the symbol that means "ire" on its own, or just the characters for the sounds "ee" "rr" "ay", and you end up with something that sounds a lot like Duladen.

I think you're likely misinterpreting that section. The idea so far as I can tell is that you write "Ire" and that encapsulates a concept: age, time, the passage of time, ancientness, etc. Or you can spell it all out using other words. The "more rational common script" is used to write the "concepts and ideas conveyed by the Aons", not used to "make the same sound as the Aons": It's not a matter of just phonetically spelling out "Ire" using another character set. So your normal Arelonian can either write "The building was <Ire>" or "The building was ancient, it's bones creaking with the weight of centuries." Not "The building was ee-rr-ay."

I can't really comment on how the people went about learning what "Ehe" sounds like, but the Ars Arcanum entry is very very clear that the sounds the Aons make are pre-defined. I'm not sure how one can be reading that otherwise.

Edited by Kurkistan

Ehe appeared on a coal, and you can tell by drawing an Aon whether it works or not... but how exactly do you think the Arelish would ever have figured out the natural "sounds" the Aons are supposed to make? Does wind sound like the word for "wind"? 

So you're asking how one discovers the Name of the Wind?  I think there's a book for that.  Oh, wait, wrong universe...

Oudeis I like your interpretation, but it's possible that the people in that country develops the "right phonetics" through their growing Connection to this land.

S'actually what I was thinking, as the Shaod takes an Elantrian, the Connections have already been mapped. Oudeis, my line of thinking was more along the lines of them stating 'Devotion save us' as from Elantris, they had no idea of the Shards' existence/involvement (granted, there's no doubt a couple of thousand years - and a couple a sequels - between these events) but I just found it odd as to why Elantris was found empty.

I also don't have the 10th anniversary edition as I've yet to see any update on a UK e-book release (unless I've missed something). Much sads :\

Edited by ParadoxSpren

Hey guys, I've got some bad new. My phone's led had burned out. Because of this, while it can still receive power, it can't do anything with it, and I'm unable to interface with it in any way. Because of this, I will not be able to recover the Denver audio.

There appears to be some evil force trying to keep that audio from the Shard. I think I can get it off your phone, however. I'll PM you.