Calamity Tour - Denver

Silverblade5

Well that clears open a whole new route of my theories. (Is that why you asked, Dirigible?)

Svrakiss are Shades. And Threnody is—if not the remnants of Sel—Sel's moon.

According to Shu-Dereth,

Sounds familiar eh?

Between where we last see Elantris/Sel and Threnody, hundreds of years have passed. Enough that (paraphrased) "three generations gone, We fled the Homeland/Fallen World from the Evil to these forests of Hell."

Getting to Sel is "Dangerous" in Shadesmar due to the proximity of roaming Shades, (and why the Ire both know of them and are on constant alert for them.)

It was foreshadowed too, in the fact that the "blasphemy" of the Jeskeri Mysteries is an abominable corruption of the Dor-centric Jesker. And similarly, worships the moon with the shedding of blood. 

In fact, during a lunar eclipse Hrathen proclaims he can "almost feel" the draw of the "magic" of the moon.

It's a shot in the dark, but so was Sazed being the Hero of Ages once upon a time.

Next chance I get, that's my question to Brandon. Though I have to phrase it vaguely yet specifically enough to get an answer: "What would happen if Silence Montane purposefully drew an Aon?" or "We know Aon-Dor is limited with range. Would it work on Threnody?"

Or,

In terms of the whole galaxy map, what is the system closest to Threnody/Are there any other planets in Threnody's system?

I'll admit, there is something funky going on with Sel's moon

Getting to Sel is "Dangerous" in Shadesmar due to the proximity of roaming Shades, (and why the Ire both know of them and are on constant alert for them.)

I was very confident that the reason the Cognitive Realm around Sel is dangerous is because of the wild power of the Dor destroying everything that's not somehow protected.

I was very confident that the reason the Cognitive Realm around Sel is dangerous is because of the wild power of the Dor destroying everything that's not somehow protected.

This was after the recording stopped, unfortunately, but yes, we got this confirmed in Philly. When you put a Hoed in the pool in the mountain, it sends the Elantrian into the Cognitive Realm. The Cognitive Realm is dangerous because the loose power of Devotion and Dominion rages around like a highstorm, and it rips the Hoed apart.

This was after the recording stopped, unfortunately, but yes, we got this confirmed in Philly. When you put a Hoed in the pool in the mountain, it sends the Elantrian into the Cognitive Realm. The Cognitive Realm is dangerous because the loose power of Devotion and Dominion rages around like a highstorm, and it rips the Hoed apart.

That doesn't sound nearly as peaceful or soothing as the melting of the Hoed is portrayed in Elantris,

Too quick on the draw, Argent! I was just editing that post to include this:

Since every magic on Sel is powered by the Dor, I would imagine the Svrakiss of Derethi myth is also rooted in being powered by the Dor (Devotion and Dominion's power) After all, everything links back to Shard's Power.

It's been stated in Secret History that those who have held/been affected by/strongly invested by Shard's power can linger on the Cognitive after their physical death.

What if this "wild power" is simply the untamed magics preventing many people from crossing into the Beyond, forcing them to linger as Shades. The way they attack people on the Physical appears similar to how Shardblades sever spiritual/cognitive bodies—even if it is a bit more "violent" and gruesome... and slow—I imagine what the Shades' attacks look like on the Cognitive could look like "ripping apart."

Now I'm gonna link a few more parallels for my theory, feel free to find more against:

If the Dor is whipping around wildly like a storm around Sel's Cognitive Realm/Expanse, it could be lashing out at people and investing them improperly, causing them to stick around as Shades when they die. If Threnody is close to Sel (big if) the proximity hearkens to both how Shadesmar does "distances" and to Dominion's own intent. If the Forescouts couldn't flee very far, Dominion's power is still seeking nearby and "territory" based souls to invest.
There's also heavy belief on Threnody that "The forest is the Shades'" and "The night belongs to the Shades" and "We try to carve safe land and long lives out of their territory" 

​Strike no fire. Shed no blood. Move not quickly.
Do not create light. Do not spill blood. Don't move with intent.
Do not create glowing Aons. Do not Bloodseal. Do not practice ChayShan.
To the broken and listing shadows of minds in the Shades, these seemingly simple rules could (with a stretch and a squint) look like the Old Arts of Sel.

But the parallel of the "souls of the damned" that "have their passage barred from Heaven" between the Svrakiss and the Shades is what sells it to me. They're obviously talking about the same thing... Now how else would you link the two?

To be fair, "like a highstorm" was my phrase, though he did concur. My friend asked his question about the pool and the Hoed, and he turned to those of us standing around and asked, "What do you all think? Why is it dangerous to travel to Sel?" and a few of us piped up with the basic theory; Devotion and Dominion splintered, their raw power sloshes around in the Dor, etc. He confirmed that this is what happened, and that putting a Hoed into the pool (or, it seems, a Hoid) sends them to the Cognitive Realm, and he told us that traveling there unprepared can be VERY dangerous for obvious reasons.

So that's it? After all these years, that's the official explanation? Huh.

I was the one that asked the question about the Hoed going into the Shardpool because I had a mini-theory that the Hoed were the Ire until we got that they were very, very, very...a few more very-ies, old. Nonetheless I still wanted to know what happened to them. I'm glad that there were other Sharders around to hear this, and Oudeis is correct that he asked us what we thought the answer was. Oudeis is actually the one, I think, that suggested they get torn apart.  

After talking with us, Brandon did confirm they get ripped apart unless they have some other type of protection, as Argent suggests above. The next question out of this is what kind of protection can one use to ensure they don't get ripped apart by the Dor?

I was the one that asked the question about the Hoed going into the Shardpool because I had a mini-theory that the Hoed were the Ire until we got that they were very, very, very...a few more very-ies, old. Nonetheless I still wanted to know what happened to them.

IIRC, on theoryland in one of the history of Aons WoBs is the story of Arelon's founding, and IIRC it stated that they found Elantris already prebuilt but empty of life. I'll need to recheck this but perhaps the Ire are Elantrians from before the Arelish kingdom's founding and they vacated Elantris due to Devotion's and Dominion's upcoming duke-out with Odium.

EDIT: Found it! History of Aon Ehe http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=768#2

Edited by ParadoxSpren

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I wish we had the Elantris sequels already.

I know! At the Houston QA he said everyone is bugging him for Rithmatist 2, because they've been waiting for the longest.

I hollered out, "Elantris 2!?!"

Several others smiled at me and snickered. Only been 10 years.

IIRC, on theoryland in one of the history of Aons WoBs is the story of Arelon's founding, and IIRC it stated that they found Elantris already prebuilt but empty of life. I'll need to recheck this but perhaps the Ire are Elantrians from before the Arelish kingdom's founding and they vacated Elantris due to Devotion's and Dominion's upcoming duke-out with Odium.

EDIT: Found it! History of Aon Ehe http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=768#2

Ooooh, good theory! Makes sense.

To be fair, "like a highstorm" was my phrase, though he did concur. My friend asked his question about the pool and the Hoed, and he turned to those of us standing around and asked, "What do you all think? Why is it dangerous to travel to Sel?" and a few of us piped up with the basic theory; Devotion and Dominion splintered, their raw power sloshes around in the Dor, etc. He confirmed that this is what happened, and that putting a Hoed into the pool (or, it seems, a Hoid) sends them to the Cognitive Realm, and he told us that traveling there unprepared can be VERY dangerous for obvious reasons.

Sounds like your answer applies to travel from Sel, but the other answer about roaming shades applies to travel through the Expanses to Sel.

Next chance I get, that's my question to Brandon. Though I have to phrase it vaguely yet specifically enough to get an answer: "What would happen if Silence Montane purposefully drew an Aon?" or "We know Aon-Dor is limited with range. Would it work on Threnody?"

Unlike a lot of other "out there" theories, this one is actually elegant and compelling. But if you do go for a question, why not just ask if Threnody is a moon of Sel? ... And very carefully what Brandon's reaction before you get a RAFO.

Another possible question is something like "Is coming of Evil to Threnody an event that involved more than one planet?" Or "How long after Aona and Skai were Splintered did Evil come to Threnody?"

Unlike a lot of other "out there" theories, this one is actually elegant and compelling. But if you do go for a question, why not just ask if Threnody is a moon of Sel? ... And very carefully what Brandon's reaction before you get a RAFO.

Another possible question is something like "Is coming of Evil to Threnody an event that involved more than one planet?" Or "How long after Aona and Skai were Splintered did Evil come to Threnody?"

Yeah, phrasing is half the fun in this cosmere-questioning. You want to be specific enough to get your answer and get him to answer at all, but at the same time vague enough that he can't wiggle out of an answer or skirt the edges of an answer, all while avoiding a RAFO.

I like this theory enough that I'm going to spend some decent time trying to phrase my questions. My above ones are probably a bit too vague, yours might be as well... Hmmm...

I usually start with a statement of known fact, it both establishes MY train of thought in my question (pointing him towards my intended answer) and gives him a few moments to focus. Then the question, and I trail with my own suppositions and gauge his reaction (which sometimes gives me more info than the answer/RAFO itself, like you said,) Case and point: my questions about the Expanses during the Calamity Chicago signing.

So... Trying to think...

It was revealed in SH that people heavily-invested or those exposed strongly to a Shard's power linger longer on the Cognitive Realm after their death, is this what has happened to the Shades? If so, is it accidental or not-powered by a "sentient" Shard? If so, is it from a Shard we know the name of?   Then come in with the suppositions about It feels like a broken Shard, who's power is lashing out wildly, infecting/corrupting people's Cognitive aspects and not allowing them to move to the Beyond. Bring in the Threnody=Sorrow point and the link to Aona/Skai's death+the Ire's apparent proximity to Shades and get a timer to see how long he "hmmms" and "ummms" before RAFOing it, lol

Edited by Zmann966

Cool! I speculated a few weeks ago that Sel's Cognitive Realm has some sort of violent storm. Glad to know I was on the right track.

It was revealed in SH that people heavily-invested or those exposed strongly to a Shard's power linger longer on the Cognitive Realm after their death, is this what has happened to the Shades? If so, is it accidental or not-powered by a "sentient" Shard? If so, is it from a Shard we know the name of?   Then come in with the suppositions about It feels like a broken Shard, who's power is lashing out wildly, infecting/corrupting people's Cognitive aspects and not allowing them to move to the Beyond. Bring in the Threnody=Sorrow point and the link to Aona/Skai's death+the Ire's apparent proximity to Shades and get a timer to see how long he "hmmms" and "ummms" before RAFOing it, lol

Or... you ask if Sel and Threnody are in the same system and Brandon, surprisingly, answers to the affirmative (-:

Now, we can speculate.   Are Threnody Shades = Svarkiss?  Can an Elantrian draw a travel Aon and teleport to Threnody? Are Threnody inhabitants former dwellers of Sel who fled that planet at some point?  Is Evil related to the events on Sel?  Are the Simple Rules really the prohibitions against manipulation of Dor?  When was Nazh born relative to the events of Elantris?  Is it easier to worldhop to Threnody than it is to Sel?  Are Aona and/or Skai buried on Threnody?