[Calamity spoilers] Calamity reactions thread

Voidus

• 5 weeks later...

It may be a bit late, but I finished the book a couple of hours ago and after thinking about he ending for a while I really liked the ending, especially when David meets his dad in the other Dimension. In my opinion it has a very important role for the plot and the character of David and is very emotional. I cant agree with the ones saying that the ending was rushed or disappointing, because it surprised me in a good way and bested my expectations. I also liked the idea of David becoming an epic before or during the final battle, but the fact that he didnt or did, but to late, made it far more exciting. I really hope that there will be any sort of sequel or side story, because I really want to know what they make of the world after Calamitys defeat. A better explanation of what Calamity exactly is would be great too, that point I can agree on

I liked how David met his dad, but I really wish he hadn’t become an Epic. There were still too many uncertainties at the end. We don’t know enough about Calamity. We don’t know how the abilities will be passed. There are things I’d still be curious about. It didn’t end as completely as it should have.

• 2 months later...

This was how my family reacted to the ending of Calamity.

Me - *Grabs head and goes* "Ooooh. Woaaaah. Woah. Woooaaaaaaahhhh!!!!!.
Sister - *Runs around the room excitedly squealing*
Dad - "wooow. That was THE best book ending!!!! I am blown away."

I liked how un-sanderson-like the ending was. I kind of wish he didn't feel like he had to explain the explain the entire plot back to the reader at the end of every book. The more room a reader has to imagine things for themselves, the better the experience in reading the book, in my opinion. If you leave the picture with no blank spaces, I feel kind of limited as a reader to imagine what might be filling in those blanks spaces.

This is why I love his non-cosmere stuff way more than his cosmere works. His cosmere-related works just seem like they're trying too hard to tie into this great big plot, and explain the rules of the magic systems to the reader too much. Take the first chapter of the way of Kings. I feel like I don't need to know immediately the three types of lashings to understand that this crazy assassin is throwing everyone around the room by playing with gravity.
I like the free style feel of his other works, like Steelheart and The Rithmatist.

Edited by Servillius

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/16/2016 at 8:01 AM, Voidus said:

Just finished, a good read with plenty of juicy tidbits but I was a little disappointed with the ending to be honest.

Anyone else care to share their thoughts?

I thought the ending cut off too soon. I would have liked it to either not entice us with obliteration challenging David or if there were to be another book that goes into the after effects and how they will repair and rebuild the world.

Overall great book but just left me wanting more and not in a good way of completion.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad to see that this thread is still alive. I only recently discovered Sanderson's novels and I'm totally hooked. 

I was so captivated by Prof's story and I was rooting for him the whole time, which is why it hurts so bad to know I'll never get to see what he went through after being saved. :(:(:(

I thrive on stories of good people battling internal evil and seeing their friends try to save them and living with the guilt of hurting people. Not getting to see Prof overcoming corruption and post-corruption isn't disappointing- it's heartbreaking. Sanderson seemed like he was setting the scene up for us, having characters talk about how mad Prof will be that they saved him and how he'll have to live with the awful burden of what he's done. 

I disagree with many of the previous posts criticizing the plot. Unanswered questions don't bother me. I would only want to change the story to save Prof earlier if defeating Calamity has to be the end.

Esteemed Brandon Sanderson, if you're reading this, I implore you to extend the story even by a few pages, if not a complete sequel. My heart is at your mercy.

3 hours ago, MomentOfFangirlWeakness said:

Esteemed Brandon Sanderson, if you're reading this, I implore you to extend the story even by a few pages, if not a complete sequel. My heart is at your mercy.

I have been following this thread since my own reply, and I just wanted to add my own support to this. You're an amazing writer who can juggle so much at once. How about another Mitosis sized story showing how the characters end up afterward? Please~~~

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 4:23 PM, lordofsoup said:

I still would have liked to find out what happens to the characters, even 1 sentence.  David and Megan get married and have 9 children.  Megan brings Fireflight's Tia over to spend time with the Prof.  Cody gets kidnapped by leprechauns.

I would not be opposed to a fourth book where all of these things happen...

• 1 month later...

This book was AMAZING. My dad actually introduced me to Brandon through this series and I just sort of DOVE STRAIGHT IN HEAD FIRST AND FINISHED STORMLIGHT BEFORE HIM AND SUCH. I was not expecting that ending! Just, goodness! I am pretty sure this was a book I started "nononononononononononoing" at, which means I loved it in the end. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/16/2016 at 2:15 PM, kaiadam said:

I loved the profanity filter on David's mobile.  Took a koala.  Motivator dingo.

Yeah, I thought that was pretty awesome!

I can tell throughout the course of his books that he's been trying to actively remove real profanity, which I can appreciate because I feel that it isn't needed to replicate good emotion. All of the profanity replacements he comes up with are amazing.

I started doing the same in my own writing!

On 2/16/2016 at 1:32 PM, vamshi said:

yep I think ending was a bit rushed too. But the overall book was great.
Though I wanted a bit more romance between David and megan. Firefight is going to be my fav of the series ( Ironically the well of ascension was my least favorite original mistborn trilogy :P )

Referencing more than just this comment specifically, I wonder if Brandon was thinking that it needed to be quick like that because Calamity knew that David knew. And if he did, he could probably kill him pretty quickly. Perhaps the rush was to get there before he had time to react?

Also, the only reason I feel that he kept the romance meter low between David and Megan was because this series is considered YA, not adult.

• 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I'd mention the ending but it seems to be a common complaint of the series. Also, this was only my second venture into YA. I started reading Abercrombie's Shattered Sea trilogy without even realizing it was YA (I hadn't realized just how graphic the genre could be, Reckoners included). Anyways, other than the unsatisfying ending, I find myself more interested in what would come next more so than everything I've already read.

I would much rather see how this world that has existed among cruel and heartless Epics would react and adapt to them being heroes, especially as  human governments start rising again. It is hard to imagine that they would openly welcome heroic Epics, even new Epics who appear post-Calamity (I imagine that all of his power sets would remain and recycle among humans, pretty much creating a world of superpowers among humans without the inevitable corruption bit).

Also, this might seem strange since I read the entire trilogy but I didn't really like David. For one, I wasn't aware it was written in first-person when I bought it or I may have waited. Regardless, I didn't really like Dave most of the time and his personality seemed... weird. His whole shtick of being bad at metaphors made me smile here and there and I guess it was meant to be funny but most of the time I just groaned when I read it (and not in a good way like when hearing a corny pun). He did have his moments, though where I did connect with him and actually care about him such as the scene where he recalled riding bikes with his dad.

With all that said, I still enjoyed the series. This is one of the few stories I've read in which the plot made me want to keep reading more so than the character, even if the ending flopped a little. I loved the idea of ordinary humans fighting against superpowers (with minimal superpower aid of their own). I also loved all of the unique Epic weaknesses and power-sets. These power-sets are an awesome example of why and how Brandons is so good at creating magic systems. He takes a lot of old, recycled power sets and adds an interesting twist, usually in the coupling of strange and off-the-wall weaknesses and limitations. 

People keep talking about how they want a movie or a TV series but I'd like to see a comic book version (or continuation, as mentioned above). A table-top RPG would be pretty cool, too.

• 3 weeks later...

Lol ShawnMC I just finished Reckoner series too and I'm glad I'm not the only one who dislike the main character. It's not that he's awkward or weird, but his other personality trait just seriously doesn't vibe with me. I just keep telling myself this is written as a typical American comic book, hence the generic stereotype (like a xipao with splits or a subservient Indian, etc)

• 8 months later...
  • Chaos unpinned this topic