[Calamity spoilers] Calamity reactions thread

Voidus

I agree 100%. I loved the book but the ending seemed a tad rushed and phoned in. Plus a few elements of power distribution weren't well explained in my opinion. The bad guy being banished via power of something or whatever, it didn't seem nearly as epic as steelheart.

pun intended? :P

Yeah, the whole "eldritch abomination that just doesn't understand humanity" bit is rather old fashioned. Does anyone else want a sequel with them hunting Obliteration? ... especially given that Epics no longer should have weaknesses. :mellow: I mean it wasn't stated outright but it would be the logical consequence of what we learned.

Still an awesome read and it didn't go for the ending that would have drawn even more Mistborn comparisons. :P

Edited by Edgedancer

I agree again.

I was expecting david to finally break into epic form and save the day, but no. However, i might have preferred it that way since i would have wanted to get into the first hand account of the epics psyche. Plus i was also thinking that weaknesses no longer exist after calamity left. Probably not, but i think brandon said that he might revisit this series later. A few finishing touches would help this series a lot.

yep I think ending was a bit rushed too. But the overall book was great.
Though I wanted a bit more romance between David and megan. Firefight is going to be my fav of the series ( Ironically the well of ascension was my least favorite original mistborn trilogy :P )

Yeah, the whole "eldritch abomination that just doesn't understand humanity" bit is rather old fashioned. Does anyone else want a sequel with them hunting Obliteration? ... especially given that Epics no longer should have weaknesses. :mellow: I mean it wasn't stated outright but it would be the logical consequence of what we learned.

Still an awesome read and it didn't go for the ending that would have drawn even more Mistborn comparisons. :P

Profs daughter still had a weakness it just wasn't very effective.

Yeah but she was also pulled into an alternative universe where Calamity was still around, so the same rules don't necessarily apply.

...then again Megan's weakness still seemed to work when they used the flamethrowers. Yet, weaknesses are supposed to get less effective as the influence of Calamity on them lessens and apparently children inherenting powers only came to be after the powers became the Epics, implying they are something really hardwired in them now and the whole reason for them in the first place was given as Calamity pulling away, which he can't do if he has no influence on the Epic anyway...

On another note, does anyone else wonder why Knighthawk never tried a Motivator for resurrection on his wife? I could see it not working on someone that's already dead but I can't remember the option even being mentioned.

Edited by Edgedancer

...then again Megan's weakness still seemed to work when they used the flamethrowers. Yet, weaknesses are supposed to get less effective as the influence of Calamity on them lessens and apparently children inherenting powers only came to be after the powers became the Epics, implying they are something really hardwired in them now and the whole reason for them in the first place was given as Calamity pulling away, which he can't do if he has no influence on the Epic anyway...

On another note, does anyone else wonder why Knighthawk never tried a Motivator for resurrection on his wife? I could see it not working on someone that's already dead but I can't remember the option even being mentioned.

Honestly I was expecting them to use one for Tia, I mean they have a resurrection Epic on hand, but as you say guess it doesn't work.

I had a lot of fun with it, but like some of you I felt it a bit lacking. Bottom line: Firefight is the best out of the trilogy, and it's not often a middle book gets that honor.

World: weaknesses may have been explained, but the matching of power sets to people was not.

Humor: loved the profanity filter (I really hope we can incorporate digeridoo into our site swear filter!) But we didn't have nearly enough Mizzy, who I think needs lots more screen time.

Plot: I was repeatedly disappointed that David didn't have Megan send him to talk to Firefight for information. And we spent so much page time focused on Prof that the title character seemed shunted to the end, despite is having seen him earlier. The showdown there didn't feel quite earned.

Question: at the end when they won, did Calamity leave from just David's reality or from all of the connected worlds that Megan had been drawing from? Because clearly some of those included an evil Prof, and it would be rather depressing/irresponsible if the heroes only saved the world in one possible iteration.

Edited by ccstat

I loved it, but the ending was a bit abrupt for me.  I would have liked to see a more substantial conclusion, though I guess it is okay because David is now an invincible god.  

I still would have liked to find out what happens to the characters, even 1 sentence.  David and Megan get married and have 9 children.  Megan brings Fireflight's Tia over to spend time with the Prof.  Cody gets kidnapped by leprechauns.  I understand why there is no conclusion for the Cosmere because each book has implications beyond its own, but I thought the Reckoners was only going to be a 3 book series.  I wouldnt be opposed to some more, especially if Brandon takes a break from writing to write another book.

Edited by lordofsoup

Totally different, he wrote. Didgeridooing invasion of privacy, calling a person without their permission. “Didgeridooing?”Megan asked from over my shoulder. “Profanity filter on my mobile,”I said. “You use a profanity filter? What is this, kindergarten?”“Nah,”I said. “It’s hilarious. Makes people sound really stupid.”

This was in my opinion the funniest part of the book. Brandon might actually be addressing a huge issue with his writing in a funny and parody like way.

Question: at the end when they won, did Calamity leave from just David's reality or from all of the connected worlds that Megan had been drawing from? Because clearly some of those included an evil Prof, and it would be rather depressing/irresponsible if the heroes only saved the world in one possible iteration.

I'm pretty sure that was indirectly addressed by Calamity not being present on other dimensions. He chose to leave earlier in other dimensions, so he must be a separate entity in each reality. It would make sense if the book really only dealt with the concerns of one reality, and there are other dimensions where Calamity is still around.

I'm pretty sure that was indirectly addressed by Calamity not being present on other dimensions. He chose to leave earlier in other dimensions, so he must be a separate entity in each reality. It would make sense if the book really only dealt with the concerns of one reality...

Yeah, especially since removing Calamity from *all* alternate realities where he hasn't left might take a while. :P

I also felt that the ending was rushed and a bit unfulfilling.  David getting to meet up with his dad, and ending up as the new Steelheart is pretty cool, but the climax kind of just felt bland.

It took less than 10 pages (including several 2 page chapters, so the first half of the first page is blank, and a large chunk of the second page is blank) from when David faced off with Larcener to the Epilogue.

There are also a lot of unanswered questions--What was Larcener?  Why was he there?  Why do his people do that?  Are they people?  Are they "angels"?  They seem to come from a different dimension (not another universe, but an entire other dimension).  Why did he stay when the others left?  Why are they trying to destroy people?  I don't get it at all...

Mostly awesome book...still feel Firefight is the best book of the series.

The ending felt rushed, mainly because the buildup and action in salty Atlanta was so much better than Obliteration yanking David away to the space station. Although Elantris kind of suffered in the same way; once Raoden was crowned King everything that followed felt kind of by the numbers.

Wish both Mizzy and Megan had been given more to do independent of David's plans. A great way to have done that would have been to flesh out the conflict over Sam more (which I was really looking forward to after Firefight!), although I can see why that wasn't pursued due to pacing. This is YA, not the Stormlight Archives after all. ;)

Last major quibble: the Reckoners could easily have been a Cosmere book, for all the protestations that they weren't. Shards, Adolnalsium, Investiture, were all present in one form or another.

Did the Obliteration thing really bother anyone else? He was the character whose fate I was most anticipating. He struck me as the perfect example of a good man corrupted beyond his own capacity for coping, but as someone who was ultimately redeemable. I fully expected him to face his fear and start down the road to redemption, so to have him say at the end, "Oh, yeah, I did that five years ago and I just decided being insane was too much fun" was a huge disappointment to me. It felt....false. Maybe I was reading his character wrong; I don't know. I read him as a man whose twisted theology became something dark and deadly when corrupted by his own fears, who would have jumped at the chance to be rid of what he saw as his terrible burden. To have him turn out to be just another crazy fundamentalist felt, to me, like Sanderson took all that depth he had in Firefight and flushed it down the toilet.

Well I loved the way that it all ended with the heroes finally arriving and their adventures just beginning but like seemingly everyone else here I felt the climax just fell flat. They confront the great Eldritch abomination and... they show him what he's done wrong, and that's it.

I kind of had this little theory that I never posted about David getting Steelhearts powers just because it would be so ironic with him getting the powers of his greatest foe. So like any sharder whose theory was correct I cracked a huge grin as I read it.  :D

... and so now we wait for Stormlight 3... "sigh" it's going to be a long year  :(

Well I loved the way that it all ended with the heroes finally arriving and their adventures just beginning but like seemingly everyone else here I felt the climax just fell flat. They confront the great Eldritch abomination and... they show him what he's done wrong, and that's it.

I kind of had this little theory that I never posted about David getting Steelhearts powers just because it would be so ironic with him getting the powers of his greatest foe. So like any sharder whose theory was correct I cracked a huge grin as I read it.  :D

... and so now we wait for Stormlight 3... "sigh" it's going to be a long year  :(

At least we will get the first part of White Sand this summer.