Shardplate

startreklord06

I don't believe that a set of shardplate is a spren.  If it was a spren, than proto-radiants who wore the plate would hear screams just like they do when they hold a dead shardblade.

Also, it's always in the physical realm, whereas sharblades have to be called back to life every time (just another example of how they are different.

I am inclined to go with the theory that shardplate is formed from lesser spren. A windrunner's plate may be made from windspren.

Alternatively, if the "half-shards" are any evidence, shard plate may work in a way similar to a fabrial. The fact that it regrows after being shattered implies that they are related to a spren, though.

I don't think so. If Shardplate "bleeds" Stormlight, as well as stormlight allows it to reform, then I would think that it's made purely from Stormlight, and surgebinders are able to cast it around themselves. After all, Surgebinders can make their helms dissappear. And, gravity and adhesion wouldn't work well on pure light now, would they?

There was a WoB in response to asking if shardplate is spren-related but I can't remember where I saw it. For all I know it could have been a RAFO. I just remember seeing it somewhere. I'll edit if I find it, but does anyone else have it's source?

@zelda dad i think this might be the one your thinking of 

INTERVIEW: Mar 8th, 2014

AHOYMATEY

Does Shardplate use a spren?

BRANDON SANDERSON

That's a RAFO.

but there is a slightly more recent QUESTION that may be RELEVANT 

QUESTION

My question was about Shards actually. So at the end of Words of Radiance Syl is turning into a Shardblade as well as other different weapons. And Kaladin has a whole bunch of Windspren around him. And I am wondering if that is a precursor to Shardplate?

BRANDON SANDERSON

I think you are a very smart man and you are asking wise questions.

hope these help

@zelda dad i think this might be the one your thinking of    INTERVIEW: Mar 8th, 2014

AHOYMATEY

Does Shardplate use a spren?
BRANDON SANDERSON  
That's a RAFO.
but there is a slightly more recent QUESTION that may be RELEVANT 
QUESTION
My question was about Shards actually. So at the end of Words of Radiance Syl is turning into a Shardblade as well as other different weapons. And Kaladin has a whole bunch of Windspren around him. And I am wondering if that is a precursor to Shardplate?
BRANDON SANDERSON
I think you are a very smart man and you are asking wise questions.
hope these help

That's exactly what I was thinking of, yes. Thank you.

• Chaos locked this topic