[BoM] Edwarn and the Creature into oblivion

maxsillitoe

The creature engaged the explosive device, blowing itself—and Suit—to oblivion.

I want to talk about this: is oblivion just oblivion or is it some Realm that is unknown, or known to us? Suit seemed really concerned with it and worried, hesitant even when he wouldn't be usually.

Fairly sure that when it said he'd continue to serve in the next realm, it was the equivalent of saying "See you in the next life" or "You can serve us in Hell." Being blown to oblivion is a pretty common expression for being totally destroyed by an explosion.

Just saying, I can't see a way for Suit to hang around in any of the other two Realms, and more than that: If you are going to send somebody to another Realm to keep working for you, blowing them apart and saying you're going to wipe out life on their planet is probably a horrible way to start that pitch.

Just saying, I can't see a way for Suit to hang around in any of the other two Realms, and more than that: If you are going to send somebody to another Realm to keep working for you, blowing them apart and saying you're going to wipe out life on their planet is probably a horrible way to start that pitch.

Hmmm, it's kinda tough to judge considering we don't know any of the goals of any of the cosmere-aware organisations. Suit seems like the person that would go along with destroying a planet for the right reasons.

Yeah, I agree with Unodus. Blowing someone "to oblivion" is a somewhat common expression when referring to using guns and explosives.

I agree as well, but I just think it is so awesome, and a little crazy, that we all look for even the tiniest clues in these books, that we attempt to deconstruct even fairly common phrases like that one.  :P

Just saying, I can't see a way for Suit to hang around in any of the other two Realms

Why not? Maybe he could be merged into a splinter of Trell, or just be preserved by investiture.

and more than that: If you are going to send somebody to another Realm to keep working for you, blowing them apart and saying you're going to wipe out life on their planet is probably a horrible way to start that pitch.

Who is to say he wont be warped by whatever process allows him to serve as a cognitive shadow? I don't think his mind will be in a state so different from the one of the stormform parshendi, or the Ruin-controlled Inquisitors. He'd keep his skills and use, but the chances of quiting his job would drop by orders of magnitude.

Edwarn also seems very pragmatic to me. When your body is destroyed, and there is no way to go back to the way things were, you accept what is, and move forward.

Secret History Spoiler:

actually a lot like kelsier in that regard lol

I think if this was a "promotion" he would roll with the punch, and focus more on the fact that he is gaining greater power. As to the destroying the world, he was willing to watch the entire city he lived in go up in flames of revolution to further the Set's goals. As long as he isn't getting nuked with it, I couldn't see him have overly too much trouble with it

• Chaos locked this topic