Small Uses for Magic Systems

KaIadin

So in this thread, you would say a small use of a single magic system (or a part of one) in your daily modern life. No one knows that you have that ability, so don't worry, no one will stop you.

For example, I would make my teeth frictionless, using Abrasion, so they always stay clean.

Edited by KaIadin StormbIessed

I would suggest going and having a look at the Useless Uses for Useful Powers thread, which has pages upon pages on stuff like this.

Well it would be nice to have a thread truly for useful uses, instead of constantly going off topic in a thread meant for redundant uses.

Besides, too many lethal Rube Goldberg machines in there. We're looking for daily life.

Store my senses of smell and taste while I'm eating tomatoes and/or olives. (I wish that they tasted good.)

Tapping feruchemical zinc to help you think of a way to actually make something palatable out of that one piece of cuisine you hate.  (I'm the same way with sweet peppers)

EDIT: On a more mundane note, stir-fry them in olive oil, and every type of Italian herb you have (plus salt and pepper, of course).  Basil and Rosemary are basically required, although everything else can be to taste.  Depending on the type of tomato, you may want to cut them into more manageable chunks, but when possible I prefer ones small enough to pop in your mouth.  Remove the veggies, make a sauce out of the oil, remaining herbs, and some white wine, and then serve the veggies over pasta (I recommend a small and twisty noodle, cooked al dente - fusilli or rotini, and there's one I believe called Collentoni which is my personal favorite) with the sauce drizzled on top.  

Edited by Landis963

EDIT: On a more mundane note, stir-fry them in olive oil, and every type of Italian herb you have (plus salt and pepper, of course).  Basil and Rosemary are basically required, although everything else can be to taste.  Depending on the type of tomato, you may want to cut them into more manageable chunks, but when possible I prefer ones small enough to pop in your mouth.  Remove the veggies, make a sauce out of the oil, remaining herbs, and some white wine, and then serve the veggies over pasta (I recommend a small and twisty noodle, cooked al dente - fusilli or rotini, and there's one I believe called Collentoni which is my personal favorite) with the sauce drizzled on top.  

It's the middle of the night and I suddenly became hungry. For an unknown reason I'm craving spaghetti... I wonder why.

With tomatoes the issue is the season. Right now, in the winter, I barely eat tomatoes. They don't taste good. Not at all.

But in the right season (late summer), if you know where to get them (I don't know what life is like in the USA so it may not be relevant)... Not in the big stores, no, Stormfather, no. Cattle market would be perfect. There you can find some good tomatoes. Juicy. Fresh.

During that time of year I could eat tomatoes all day long. Slice them, pour some olive oil, grate some good yellow cheese, eat with bread. You can skip butter altogether if you want, just eat bread with oil. Complete with red wine.

I am lucky enough that my family grows some tomatoes in the garden. Almighty, these are wonderful.

But not to derail the topic much, I'd make good use of Growth to get more of these tomatoes...

P.S. Try black tomatoes, they're very good. Of course, it's still winter, so they'll be barely better than the usual sort, but still.

But not to derail the topic much, I'd make good use of Growth to get more of these tomatoes...

P.S. Try black tomatoes, they're very good. Of course, it's still winter, so they'll be barely better than the usual sort, but still.

Oh yeah.  Regrowth is an absolute godsend for anyone interested in really good fruits and veggies.  I wonder if an illusion of a light source would provide the same nutritive value (for as long as it lasted, anyway) as the genuine article.  (trying to see how much Illumination would provide to a hypothetical Truthwatcher with a green thumb)

PS.  And those black tomatoes look like they'd be wonderful roasted, maybe filled with some kind of cheese... Ooh!  Bacon-wrapped Black tomatoes with goat-cheese filling!  I'm sorry, I'm continuing the derail.  And making the rest of the thread hungry.  I'll stop now.  

Edited by Landis963

Oh yeah.  Regrowth is an absolute godsend for anyone interested in really good fruits and veggies.  I wonder if an illusion of a light source would provide the same nutritive value (for as long as it lasted, anyway) as the genuine article.  (trying to see how much Illumination would provide to a hypothetical Truthwatcher with a green thumb)

Truthwatchers:

Canon

>"esoteric in nature", secretive, seeing future...

17th Shard

>Let's make them gardeners!

I wonder what is more effective: Soulcasting food or Growing plants. Use of Growth would not render food tasteless, mind you. But Illumination would be very high cost - we would be so better off just using infused heliodors as lamps.

Edited by Oversleep

Cadmium when waiting for my train to arrive/food to cook/friend to arrive. 

Elsecalling to teleport to work or the city to hang out, skipping the cold weather (assuming there is a perpendicularity and it works that way)

Feruchemical pewter or Allomantic pewter to use to help when moving stuff from old place to new place

Illumination to make little cartoons act out a story to entertain niece and nephew

Copper to remember where I leave my keys

Bendalloy to have more time during lunch

Iron to pull the remote to me from across the room

Steel to close the door behind me, or push open certain doors

Tin to keep the TV really low when my fiance goes to sleep early, but still be able to hear the TV fine

Abrasion to wash dishes so the food and stains can't stick

Partial Lashings to make stuff light enough to carry.

Perfect for using on Brandon Sanderson books. I could bludgeon someone to death with one of those.

Using a full lashing instead of a paper weight.

Storing feruchemical bronze too go to sleep at night.

Inscribing Aon Ashe on a flashlight (a torch for those of you in the UK) when the batteries run out.

Using soulstamps when your glasses get scratched (or your wristwatch, car, etc.).

Though what I think I'd like most of all is a bronzemind.

I live on the top floor of an apartment building, right underneath a flat roof, last summer I consistently had temperatures of over 30° C inside (86° F). I'd use the heat I stored over the summer during midwinter to go to work in shorts and a T-shirt and freak people out.

Huh?  Heliodor makes green light.  Plants are green because they reflect green light: green is the part of the spectrum they can't use.  Green light is plant poop.

Emerald is green. Heliodor is yellow (which isn't surprising, given the root "helio-" which I'm pretty sure means "sun" in Greek. After all, Helios was god of Sun).

It just occured to me that a pewter compounder could cosplay very accurately as the hulk.

You don't need compounding for that - just vanilla pewter feruchemy is good enough to get the requisite muscle mass.  Koloss-bloods have it even easier, especially for portraying the early versions of the Hulk which were grey and not green.  

You don't need compounding for that - just vanilla pewter feruchemy is good enough to get the requisite muscle mass. Koloss-bloods have it even easier, especially for portraying the early versions of the Hulk which were grey and not green.

True. But compounders would have a much easier time of it because regular feruchemists would have to spend days or even weeks in a weakened state while the compounder would be able to do it in a fraction of the time.

Also I didn't think of the koloss-blooded advantage. Nice.

You don't need compounding for that - just vanilla pewter feruchemy is good enough to get the requisite muscle mass. Koloss-bloods have it even easier, especially for portraying the early versions of the Hulk which were grey and not green.

True. But compounders would have a much easier time of it because regular feruchemists would have to spend days or even weeks in a weakened state while the compounder would be able to do it in a fraction of the time.

Also I didn't think of the koloss-blooded advantage. Nice.