Bendalloy Shenanigans!

hwiles

I greatly enjoy the shenanigans that can be performed by bendalloy mistings and haven't seen much discussion on the topic.

From The Coppermind and WoBs: Bendalloy speeds up time by about a factor of 8 and multiple bubbles have a compounding effect

If five sliders stand in a pentagon about 6 feet on each side and turn on their bubbles, then their bubbles overlap inside most of the pentagon (the geometry isn't perfect, but you get the idea).  Note however that each slider would still only be inside one bubble.  The super accelerated overlapping region, which none of the sliders are physically inside of, would then be experiencing a speed increase of 8^5 = 32,768

Meaning, 1 second outside all of the bubbles would be equivalent to about 9 hours inside the super accelerated region and only 8 seconds for each of the sliders.

so how about it, how would you take advantage of freezing time using this service?  How do you think this could be exploited in future books?

Students. "I have to do something and the deadline is tomorrow! But I haven't slept for three last days, I have to get some sleep!" Then he goes and pays for 27 hours of time (24 seconds for Sliders and three seconds of outside time) to get some sleep and do his work.

Might have practical applications for medicine, something is either in a bubble or not so if you carefully position the patient inside only one bubble but a surgeon inside 5 then they'd be able to react a lot more efficiently if nothing else they could step in and out of the overlap just to assess the situation.

Is it possible to do the same thing with a Pulser? Imagine if you had 6 Pulsers, doing exactly the same thing, and just time traveling into the future. You could have the ultimate time capsule. Get on a train/ambulance, and keep a guy in stasis. Got an extremely radioactive isotope and don't want its half-life interfering? Grab a Pulse Circle and BOOM!

Wow, I never even dreamed of using time bubbles for the manipulation of the half-life of nuclear materials...

It's probably in poor taste to discuss the design or construction of even fictional nuclear armaments, so I'll just end this post with this:

If Scadrial does receive a sci-fi type trilogy, at some point they'll either have the knowledge and capacity to make planet-destroying weapons, or an as yet unknown rule about the nature of allomancy (or the nature of nuclear physics in the cosmere) will have to be introduced to explain why such weapons wouldn't work.

Considering that they are slated to discover faster-than-light travel, and considering how much I like Roshar, I'm hoping it's the latter...

Theory:

After Sazed eats Trell and absorbs his shard he'll push his people to develop the technology to expand his dominion over the rest of the Cosmere in hopes of reforging Adonalsium.  Hoid, being the secret hero of all the preceding Cosmere epics sets out on a quest to find the weapon originally developed to oppose Adonalsium that has been confirmed to still exist somewhere.  Great struggle ensues, some hand-waving occurs, cosmere is almost destroyed, Sazed, realizing the power has corrupted his mind after he finishes reforging it, releases it and dies, and Hoid, our reluctant hero holding the power of creation in his hands, has the epiphany that no man should pretend to be God, and splinters the power beyond repair.  In 20ish years I'm going to cackle like a madman if this turns out to be right.  :D

Wow, I never even dreamed of using time bubbles for the manipulation of the half-life of nuclear materials...

It's probably in poor taste to discuss the design or construction of even fictional nuclear armaments, so I'll just end this post with this:

There is Warbreaker thread about producing nuclear bombs with Breath, so... LET COSMERE ARMS RACE BEGIN?

It would be interesting to see this applied to interstellar travel.

BoM spoilers:

If hundreds of ettmetal cubes with bendalloy powers were strategically placed to cover the space in front of a space ship as well as most of the ship itself, the ship would constantly be moving through the space nearly instantly to an outside observer. Assuming the cubes left a small space unaffected, the people within this space would not be affected by the speed bubble, and therefore would be able to travel the Cosmere with speed rivaling that of worldhoppers. This could explain the advent of FTL travel

Edited by Bugsy6912

• Chaos locked this topic