[Secret History Spoilers] Connection?

Shardbearer

So here's something that I thought was weird. Kelsier is an Allomancer. Not just any Allomancer, but a full Mistborn. Allomancy is the power of Preservation.

And yet, Kelsier isn't Connected enough to Preservation to hold the Shard without a hack.

How? Why? Why not? One would assume that being a user of a magic system would involve a Connection to that Shard.

This also throws a wrench into a couple of theories: The theory that Hoid is collecting investiture from all the Shards to gain Connection to the next Adonalsium; and the theory that Connection medallions could allow people to access magic systems from around the Cosmere.

But if he has strong enough Connection to be a Mistborn, he SHOULD have strong enough connection to hold the Shard. To my way of thinking, anyway.

But this means that using a magic system does not involve much of a Connection to the Shard. So storing/tapping Connection should have no or little effect on your ability to use other magic systems.

But this means that using a magic system does not involve much of a Connection to the Shard.

that's a possible answer. or maybe it does require a different type of connection. or maybe it requires investiture, which is fairly different from connection (yes, i suppose having some investiture from a shard makes you connected to it, but only very loosely)

But if he has strong enough Connection to be a Mistborn, he SHOULD have strong enough connection to hold the Shard. To my way of thinking, anyway.

But this means that using a magic system does not involve much of a Connection to the Shard. So storing/tapping Connection should have no or little effect on your ability to use other magic systems.

What makes a person an Allomancer isn't their Connection to Preservation, it's the actual piece of Preservation in their soul.  There's random scattered quotes that all talk about this, but I readily admit I have no idea where all of them are.

Unless there was something explicitly mentioned in Secret History I'm unaware of that completely overwrote all the old stuff we'd been told.

I always thought the connection to Preservation at most just makes your allomancy stronger (well, it's powered by him so it makes sense?) and Kelsier is definitely weaker than Vin by a small but noticeable amount. He remarks on it after their pushing match.

I suppose having been dunked in the Well and Ascended once works for Vin, and she waa apparently weird from childhood with regards to the power, but it begs the question; why does it accept Sazed?

Also, Sazed can apparently hold both shards without issues, so just a strong connection to Ruin probably isn't enough to stop someone from holding Preservation.

I don't think that's necessarily the case, the Connection simply isn't powerful enough in Kelsier's case. Perhaps due to personality, perhaps to genetic diffusion of Allowmancy over a millennia.

Regardless, it appears obvious that to take up a Shard you need some kind of primer to increase Connection to a said Shard.

In Vins case, I imagine that to be the Well of Ascension.

I wonder if being Returned on Nalthis would be enough to take up Endowment?

Becoming a Mistborn certainly Connected Kelsier to Preservation. But notice how Vin, who is also a Mistborn cannot take up the power of Preservation until she gets rid of the spike the Connects her to Ruin.  So, just being a Mistborn is not sufficient.

In case of Kelsier, the barrier is less physical - he is not spiked by Ruin, but it is, arguably, stronger. Kelsier spent a good chunk of his time being essentially an agent of Ruin. His biggest accomplishment - setting up the stage for killing Lord Ruler was the single most devastating blow to Preservation over the entire series.  To borrow a sports metaphor, you may really like the striker on the opposing team, and think that he is a really cool person, but as long as he keeps scoring goals against your team, he is not really your best buddy on the field, and you cannot trust him to replace you.

Kelsier spent a huge chunk of his life being the striker on the opposing team. An ignorant one, but not an unwilling one. He is directly responsible for much chaos and destruction that takes place. He has not used his Allomantic powers in a way that is consistent with Preservation's Intent.

Hence the need to steal a magic McGuffin.

Edited by emailanimal

• 2 months later...

I think part of Kelsier's inability to take up Preservation's power also had to do with the fact that he is dead. Remember he can't burn metals any more after he dies, so whatever connection he may have had to Preservation is now gone. Even after he does eventually take up the power with the help of the artifact, he remarks later that he never would have been able to use it as well as Vin did. The notable difference here is that Vin, who was influenced by Ruin almost from birth, was still alive when she Ascended, whereas Kelsier was not.

Well, why would the connection be gone? Allomancy isn't a physical trait, it's ingrained into your soul. It's just somewhat useless without a body.

The Magic Systems are how the physical being are able to touch and use the power of creation, Kelsier in that moment has no Connection to the physical and He can't express Investiture in Allomantic Effect... In the end, also when Leras provide him a stream of Investiture. He was unable to use it in elaborate ways.

Edited by Yata

• Chaos locked this topic