Avatars for shard holders, is it possible?

Cinder

I suppose he may creates a "puppet" to move and control like he wishes. But actually it will be just a remote controlled robot.

He himself posses to much Investiture to actually reincarnate in Blood & Flesh, his own body was vaporizated from the Colossal amount of Investiture after all.

I suppose he may creates a "puppet" to move and control like he wishes. But actually it will be just a remote controlled robot.

He himself posses to much Investiture to actually reincarnate in Blood & Flesh, his own body was vaporizated from the Colossal amount of Investiture after all.

This is not something that we have ever had 100% confirmed as far as I know. Best I can tell, a Vessel's body is more or less in cold storage in the Cognitive Realm and would be released back into the Physical Realm upon their death.

This is not something that we have ever had 100% confirmed as far as I know. Best I can tell, a Vessel's body is more or less in cold storage in the Cognitive Realm and would be released back into the Physical Realm upon their death.

Or prehaps upon relinquishing of the shard (Since we have not seen that happen yet)

I really like this idea. If a Shard has the capability of, perhaps, Investing some of itself in a human body and going around in the Physical Realm, it might have some real implications for Trell.

if Trell were the avatar of a shard, which shard would that be? Anyone other than Odium? Edited by Lopen

It's an interesting thought and could explain some stuff going on in Mistborn. At the same time, Honor implies in Words of Radiance that it's possible to force a Shard to appoint a champion for their cause which will bind Odium in some way. I wonder if that might not be a potential mark against the idea since it sounds like a somewhat similar idea.

Well, technically a shard's "body" is just a physical manifestation of their power. Like atium for ruin, et cetera.

So at this point we examine the distinction between a shard and a human shardholder. When a human takes up a shard, their physical, cognitive, and spiritual aspects are possibly absorbed into the shard. It would make sense then that upon death the physical body re-separates out.

All this being said, I think a shardholder's presence is basically completely bonded to the shard. So they would have a hard time actually inhabiting the physical realm in one location. If they were in fact able to, they might well be able to remain un-vaporized, but then those nearby might be vaporized in this case. And I suspect if a second shard nearby were to oppose such a manifestation they could prevent you from becoming physically present.

So I doubt a shard could actually undergo such a process.

Interesting and slightly related question: can a shardholder give up the power of a shard without dying? I don't mean like just temporarily stepping in like a sliver might. I mean an actual permanent shardholder. So for example, what if Sazed tried to step down from being harmony? Could he just walk away as a normal person and leave the two powers without a holder, if he wanted to?

I really like this idea. If a Shard has the capability of, perhaps, Investing some of itself in a human body and going around in the Physical Realm, it might have some real implications for Trell.

Please put this in spoiler tags. I've read the book you're referencing, but others may not have.

Edited by The Young Bard

Interesting and slightly related question: can a shardholder give up the power of a shard without dying? I don't mean like just temporarily stepping in like a sliver might. I mean an actual permanent shardholder. So for example, what if Sazed tried to step down from being harmony? Could he just walk away as a normal person and leave the two powers without a holder, if he wanted to?

I suppose a Shardholder may does it, without any kind of problem (of course if somebody in the Shard's Intent don't prevent him to do something like that).

For example Odium want to be the powerful being in the Cosmere, He can't give up his power i suppose.

• Chaos locked this topic