[Secret History Spoilers] Investiture and Beyond

Weltall

My first theory, such as it is. At the beginning of Secret History, Leras says that while everyone moves Beyond, it takes longer for allomancers and freuchemists. We see lots of people die from Kelsier's perspective but very few of them linger more than a few seconds, even less once Preservation isn't there to talk to them. I think this might explain why Drabs aren't capable of being Returned.

It doesn't seem to be a stretch to assume that it's not being metalborn per se that lets someone remain a Cognitive entity for a while past their physical death but that it's a result of them being more highly Invested than normal humans. So a Radiant would probably hang around longer, or an Elantrian... or someone with large amounts of Breath. I think the reason that Endowment can't Return someone with no Breath is that they don't have enough Investiture to maintain their identity in the Cognitive Realm for long enough. From Lightsong's recollection, he had enough time after his death to see multiple visions of the future and listen to Endowment speak to him and offer to make him a Returned. That suggests she needs a certain minimum amount of time. A Drab, having no Breath and hence no Investiture probably vanishes to Beyond before she can get through the process..

Any thoughts?

• Chaos locked this topic