[Secret History Spoilers] Crackpot theory on why You know who didn't want to move on.

Nesh

So I have basically no evidence aside from a few lines to back this up, but my theory on why Kelsier did want to go Beyond is as follows:  He was going to be sent to the equivalent of Hell.  I think he knew that on some instinctual level and that's why he didn't want to go.

I everyone else we see turns toward the Beyond and smiles and doesn't struggle, like the see some paradise on the other side.  Now look at how Kelsier described it:

Time was running out; he could feel himself sliding toward oblivion, a distant point of nothingness, dark and unknowable.

Sanderson, Brandon (2016-01-28). Mistborn: Secret History (Kindle Locations 133-134). Dragonsteel Entertainment, LLC. Kindle Edition.

That is in direct contrast to how every other character reacted to the Beyond.  Granted Preservation did say that others do panic and try to run but eventually give up, but none are as clever as Kelsier.  Leras likely Preserved him because he thought that cleverness could be useful in fighting Ruin.

As I said this is pretty baseless, but that's what sprang to mind when I was finished reading.

Edited by Nesh

Less spoilery title please? This is visible from the front page still. Also I think you mean "why he did not want to go to the Beyond."

It's also worth noting that he is the Survivor. By his very nature he won't let well enough alone. Throw sudden knowledge that there are a lot more secrets than he knew, and why would he ever leave?

Edited by Observer

Less spoilery title please? This is visible from the front page still. Also I think you mean "why he did not want to go to the Beyond."

It's also worth noting that he is the Survivor. By his very nature he won't let well enough alone. Throw sudden knowledge that there are a lot more secrets than he knew, and why would he ever leave?

My apologies I'll fix that.

• Chaos locked this topic