Lounge

king007

You know, Princess Bride is one of the few times when I prefer the movie to the book (Shawshank Redemption is another one).  William Goldman wrote the book and the script simultaneously iirc, and the book doesn't have much that isn't also in the movie.  And the movie is just so, so good...

I'm sure that this post will get me boiled alive, but yea, like unto Galileo I must speak the truth as I see it.

I haven't read the book, but I wouldn't be surprised if I liked the movie better, too. There's a level of visual charm achieved by the actor choices and some of the purposefully cheesy 80's effects that wouldn't exist on paper, regardless of Goldman's abilities as a writer.

I do love me some Cthulhu. Actually, of the newish Lovecraft-themed stuff out there, the Cthulhu-rotica series is pretty stellar. All the tentacle, none of the racisms and sexism. 

Yep, lovecraft would have felt right at home at a Trump rally, given his views on immigration.  Still, my word but could the man write.

On a similar note, when I was living in China Jack London was by far the most-read English-language author.  Chinese bookshops were filled with books by Jack London.  And yet, London was virulently anti-Chinese: The Unparalleled Invsion is an entirely non-ironic story about engineering a virus that kills every Chinese-descended person on earth.  And yet none of his Chinese fans that I talked to knew this...

Woohoo!  Care to share the tweet so we can learn from success?

Happy to, via PM. I had a number of successful tweets, and some not-so successful. The great thing about DVpit was getting to tweet once per hour for twelve hours meant you could try out a whole host of different approaches, and learn from mistakes.

Sending you PM now!

"Getting to know you, getting to know all about you..."

Julie Andrews and "The King and I" songs aside, I'm curious: what's the breakdown of MBTI here? (Meyers Briggs) I'm curious whether we're all similar 'writerly' types or not... :)

INFJ here.

(Those song lyrics sound creepier on the internet and out of context of old musicals...lol)

I think I'm INTJ but I'd have to retake the test to confirm cause it's been so long I can't remember the letters any more.

I have a feeling we will see a lot of INs lol

Edited by Shadowfax

My work here is done... but somewhere in this song-forsaken town there's some poor sap who needs a good hard dose of Rodgers and Hammerstein*, but just doesn't know it :ph34r:

(* Webster and Fain just don't trip of the tongue in the same way)

I'm actually making progress into a possible chapter one! After having writer's block for so long now, I feel so good about this. I'm actually going to write 2 chapters that could both be potentially chapter ones, but for now I have 454 NEW words written!! An entire scene, which I really like. I'm just super excited so I wanted to share. And give thanks for Krystalynn who helped more than she could ever know in getting me out of my slump!

Thanks king! I will only be submitting the prologue for review, as it is separeated from the main bulk of the story and I don't want to introduce 2 separate concepts/ideas/settings/etc in the same narrative without any further context. It's really short, and a lot of it has been submitted before in my "excerpts" submission, but I did a lot of thinking and revising to pare it down to an acceptable prologue (I hope!).

I've also written another 339 words since my post 45 minutes ago! *ecstatic*