Lounge

king007

OMG WOO! \o/

Also: Littlefoot's mom.  :(

You forgot the spoiler tags! What if the babies in the forum haven't seen this movie yet xD :lol: ^_^  ​

That being said, yes! I'm excited. But, I got your email so I am going to read first while all my new plotting germinates in my brain for a bit. :D

​just turned 21 in December <blush>

Cradle-snatcher! lol

Great post, your enthusiasm is infectious! (Never liked that phrase, I think any positive connotations of infection have long gone.)

Anyway, really looking forward now to reading some of your novel soon!

Yeah, Silk will most likely appear on Sunday evening. Doing the math from what I've seen over the week, I think you'll be on for Monday.

Oh nice. I've been putting together a submission just in case, anyhow, so I'll be ready if that does come to pass.

For me, this wasn't a productive weekend at the keyboard. I don't know if Saturday morning's boring errands, or the lovely weather had anything to do with my internal restlessness and lack of focus. The air up here in northeast Indiana is crisp and clear, the sun deliciously warm. Each part of my garden is awake and growing eagerly. Part of me wants to be outside while the sun shines, because I know April showers are on the way, and locals don't refer our city as "Fort Rain" without good reason.

It seems to me as if most writers have certain rituals, or set of conditions that must be met, for optimal results. I'm definitely more productive when it rains, or with the blinds closed. I'm at my best when I'm formally sitting at my desk. I listen to music most of the time; NPR, or selected podcasts some of the time; and every once in a while I'm content with the noises in and around my home when I'm the only one in residence.

Sometimes I try taking my laptop into the living room while my husband watches whatever he wants on television (under the guise of "spending time with him"), but that's usually disastrous. Last night was no exception. I got sucked into a terrible summer blockbuster movie he was watching, and spent 120 minutes roasting the film aloud, in the style of Mystery Science Theatre 3000.  :P

Do any of you find you're more productive writing in a specific location, or under certain sets of circumstances? Are there tools you use to keep focused, like the Pomodoro technique, or apps that restrict access to email and/or social media? 

My zone is mental, mostly. I have to be able to clear my brain of Stuff. I can't listen to music (I'l start to sing along or dance in my chair), I can't watch TV... it's bad enough being on a computer where I constantly try to check email or forum posts or whatnot. I don't use any apps, cause I can't block my Internet as I do need to be able to research while I write - if I feel cut off I panic and then I definitely can't work. I also can't be too comfortable... if I get into too comfy a position I want to relax, which isn't good for my writing. For me to write I need to be alert, focused and full of caffeine and junk food.

That being said, I wish I was more productive in rain. It's rained here every day for the last month and a half, with maybe 2 or 3 exceptions. I didn't get much done yesterday at all. Maybe today I'll make some progress.

Last time the lights went off at night for a long while, and so we had to use candles. I got bored, so I listened to an audio book of The Gunslinger by Stephen King. Somehow I felt so immersed in the way he writes and describes things. I liked how he hinted at things and not always spelling them out. It added a layer of mystical mist to his storytelling. My laptop battery died off and I was left with an urge to write. So I began writing under the candle lights with a pen on a piece of paper, which turned out to be excellent for drawing out ideas and expressions from my mind. I went into a writing streak for about an hour and then light returned ruining that special mood, because I started itching towards opening the computer and checking the net. I'll make sure to lit some candles and listen to Stephen King's writings the next time I want to write something.

Sometimes good ole pen and paper.... there isnt' really a substitute. I do a lot of mapping, plotting, etc in paper notebooks, and I would go to that method atm but they're all packed and waiting for my move ;_;

atm I'm stuck in Wikipedia reading about banners. flags, heraldry, etc. I'm calling it research. I think I got off-topic on my research as I'm actually attempting to worldbuild my religious organization. <sigh>

atm I'm stuck in Wikipedia reading about banners. flags, heraldry, etc. I'm calling it research. I think I got off-topic on my research as I'm actually attempting to worldbuild my religious organization. <sigh>

Lol - even your procrastination was derailed by the internet :)

My novella "Tuning the Symphony" is available today, and several of you helped make it possible!  You can get it in print from Amazon and Createspace.  It is also available at Amazon, Kobo, and Smashwords in ebook format.  If you like it, tell a friend or leave me a review online.

Huzzah! My copy arrived a couple of days ago.

TuningRobinski

Putting myself in line to submit this upcoming Monday, should there be space.

ETA: Wow, having a moment. This is not where this goes. Sorry everyone! I blame Nepal and the bird that just pooped in my hair.

Edited by kaisa

For me, this wasn't a productive weekend at the keyboard. I don't know if Saturday morning's boring errands, or the lovely weather had anything to do with my internal restlessness and lack of focus. The air up here in northeast Indiana is crisp and clear, the sun deliciously warm. Each part of my garden is awake and growing eagerly. Part of me wants to be outside while the sun shines, because I know April showers are on the way, and locals don't refer our city as "Fort Rain" without good reason.

It seems to me as if most writers have certain rituals, or set of conditions that must be met, for optimal results. I'm definitely more productive when it rains, or with the blinds closed. I'm at my best when I'm formally sitting at my desk. I listen to music most of the time; NPR, or selected podcasts some of the time; and every once in a while I'm content with the noises in and around my home when I'm the only one in residence.

Sometimes I try taking my laptop into the living room while my husband watches whatever he wants on television (under the guise of "spending time with him"), but that's usually disastrous. Last night was no exception. I got sucked into a terrible summer blockbuster movie he was watching, and spent 120 minutes roasting the film aloud, in the style of Mystery Science Theatre 3000.  :P

Do any of you find you're more productive writing in a specific location, or under certain sets of circumstances? Are there tools you use to keep focused, like the Pomodoro technique, or apps that restrict access to email and/or social media? 

For me, it's mornings. I set my alarm for 5:45, and that gives me an hour or so to work till I have to get ready to work my day job (as opposed to early morning job?) During my first year of teaching, I tried to write in evenings (the time of day I used to write), but it was so hard. After my second year of teaching, I gave up trying. I started writing on just Saturdays and Sundays for long rounds, but that was hard too because the text and my ideas got cold over the week in between. Last year I decided to take a risk. I knew that my problem with writing daily was that I'm mentally exhausted at the end of the day. I love my job--a lot. I work with underprivileged children in the poorest neighborhood of my city, and I get to spend every day teaching them how to read in their second language. Anyway, that's cool and all, and we have so much fun, but every moment of my thinking time is spoken for when I'm at work, and I work a lot. So, I knew the only time my brain really had power was in the quiet before going to work.I hadn't tried getting up early because I was afraid I would fail, but I took a risk and tried it. And it worked. My routine is get up really early, not even leave the bed when it's winter, and write right there. It means I have a lot of sleepy typos to fix later, but it also means I've been able to make writing a daily part of my life again, even with a full-time career I'm invested in.

That's awesome! I'm an early bird too. My alarm goes off at 6am (long lie compared to you, Krystalynn!), and I'm sitting in my favourite coffee shop in the city just after it opens at 7am. Unfortunately, I don't work in the city, but in a town 25 minutes to the south so, I put £1.50 in the parking meter, which takes me to 8:24 - then I have to hit the road to get to work just before 9am.

That gets me 5 hours a weeks (most weeks) of fairly productive writing time, but that also involves critiquing. I'm not writing as much as I should, because I struggle at weekends to put the time aside. I might get another hour each morning, but once the house wakes up, I struggle. If I'm lucky, I need to go to Aberdeen - a 2+half hour train ride from Glasgow, and I can get some time with my hearphones on, shut out the world and crunch the keys.

Evenings are hopeless. Unless it's Nanowrimo (That's the name of the 11th month, right?) I'm getting dozy and just kicking back to watch movies or TV - my job is v. demanding and I need that complete down time.

That's awesome! I'm an early bird too. My alarm goes off at 6am (long lie compared to you, Krystalynn!), and I'm sitting in my favourite coffee shop in the city just after it opens at 7am. Unfortunately, I don't work in the city, but in a town 25 minutes to the south so, I put £1.50 in the parking meter, which takes me to 8:24 - then I have to hit the road to get to work just before 9am.

That gets me 5 hours a weeks (most weeks) of fairly productive writing time, but that also involves critiquing. I'm not writing as much as I should, because I struggle at weekends to put the time aside. I might get another hour each morning, but once the house wakes up, I struggle. If I'm lucky, I need to go to Aberdeen - a 2+half hour train ride from Glasgow, and I can get some time with my hearphones on, shut out the world and crunch the keys.

Evenings are hopeless. Unless it's Nanowrimo (That's the name of the 11th month, right?) I'm getting dozy and just kicking back to watch movies or TV - my job is v. demanding and I need that complete down time.

I'd noticed you were a very active critter and wondered how you got time to participate so often and so thoroughly...now I know! It seems pretty gracious to me that you give up a very limited resource that you need to invest in others. Very cool.

Maybe someone will make calendars relabeled as just a countdown to the 11th month...

Well, that's mighty gracious of you to say so, but sometimes I feel like I'm taking the easy way out. Easier to be a critic than a creator.

So, just to prove I'm not all mouth and no keyboard, my current project is a short story that borrows from my Nano project from last year (166k word fantasy novel). I plan to post the short up here just after the end of March, which is the target I have set myself for finishing the first draft.

So, just to prove I'm not all mouth and no keyboard, my current project is a short story that borrows from my Nano project from last year (166k word fantasy novel). I plan to post the short up here just after the end of March, which is the target I have set myself for finishing the first draft.

Yay!  Will this be some waifs?  Or perhaps some strays?

There are not too many days left of March. I look forward to your submission! Are you putting it on the alpha thread or the normal thread?

It's a short story, at the mo it's 4,500 words, but it's going to be maybe 7,500, so I'll need to spilt it over two weeks.