Lounge

king007

I think, even before you get payed, deciding that you are a real writer and writing is a job (even if it's not your only job) makes a huge difference.  It did for me.

Yep.  I'll second that.  I have a schedule when I get home from my day job: Monday and Wednesday nights I have about 1.5 hours to write.  Every week.  Since I'm in the schedule, I'm already thinking about what I'm going to write before I get to it, which helps with procrastination / writer's block.

If I need to get more done, I cut gaming time and add about 30-40 minutes on Tuesday and Thursday evenings.  I'll write on Friday/Saturday/Sunday when I can.  It's amazing how much you  can get done when you decide it's a job you want to do.

Yep.  I'll second that.  I have a schedule when I get home from my day job: Monday and Wednesday nights I have about 1.5 hours to write.  Every week.  Since I'm in the schedule, I'm already thinking about what I'm going to write before I get to it, which helps with procrastination / writer's block.

If I need to get more done, I cut gaming time and add about 30-40 minutes on Tuesday and Thursday evenings.  I'll write on Friday/Saturday/Sunday when I can.  It's amazing how much you  can get done when you decide it's a job you want to do.

This has been the hardest thing for me. Making a schedule for writing and sticking to it.

This has been the hardest thing for me. Making a schedule for writing and sticking to it.

That really is the hardest part for me, outside of the procrastination and giving myself permission to suck. I've cut back on television almost entirely (just a couple shows on weekends), and I'm not devouring books at quite the same clip I used to. I've started writing on my lunch breaks, and get down to it as soon as i get home from work. I just put on music and type until my husband gets home. I can usually get 4 solid hours in a night, if I'm lucky and stay focused.

I'd bet this whole procrastination issue would disappear if I start getting paid for I write lol

And they mentioned this in the first season of WE: Money changes everything  haha

That was really what was behind my flipant remark. You can't start acting like a professional once you start getting paid. You have to act like one first in order to get paid.

Easier said than done, friend. I've been staring at a blank screen and its stupid, smug, blinking cursor all day. There used to be words, but I cut them. Then I went and edited my first chapter for awhile. Now I plan on going back to my cursor.

Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear eats you. Big. Heavy. Sigh.

But you were writing, even though it got cut. I accept that it's not always going to be Grade A, but sometimes you may need to apply BICHOK and write through it.

Speaking of which, weren't you supposed to submit on Monday? :D

I think it's this week, but take your point. I'm afraid my work will always have to come first. Gotta feed the machine, and the machine is hungry. Edited by Robinski

But you were writing, even though it got cut. I accept that it's not always going to be Grade A, but sometimes you may need to apply BICHOK and write through it.

True, true. I've just recently learned how to keep myself writing even if there's research needed. Scrivener helps with that. I simply make a note and move on (though it triggers my OCD like whoa), whereas before I would get lost in hours of research. Being in marketing, research is kind of my bag. Or a sickness, maybe. That describes my affliction much better. :D

Okay, I have a question for you, Robinksi.  As another man who is named Robin Duncan, if you're aiming to publish, what name will you publish under?

Heh, heh - interesting question. Flip you for it? Just kidding. Well, I do have a couple of middle names that I could use. Since you have a march on me, I presume you've staked out 'Robin Duncan'. Maybe I'll go Crawford Duncan then.

Or I could fall back on my second choice, which you'll see I've reserved in my 'signature' - i.e. Buck Dangerquest.

Oh, I'm going for R. K. Duncan.  Sounds right for fantasy, no gender questions raised.  The second is a sad marketing choice, but them's the breaks.

Hmm, interesting that, in these days of ubiquitous data, this is (still) a thing. R.K. seems to be deliberately nonspecific, but might raise the same question as 'Robin'. I suppose it avoids people making the wrong assumption and sticking to it without checking (if they feel the need).

I thought I'd ask the group... Do any of you use specialized tools to assist you with writing, outlining, or general organization when you're working on larger projects? I've been using Scrivener for years, but I've yet to scratch the surface where its capabilities are concerned. My workplace gives me access to Safari Books Online, which has a number of training/tutorial books on how to use Scrivener effectively, but for some reason I can't make myself slog through one of them. Heh. 

I usually work between Google docs and Scrivener, creating a draft document for each day, since I can access docs remotely.  I often forget to copy my work over from Scrivener at the end of the day, however, which brings me to a standstill. I've tried syncing my .scriv files with Dropbox or Drive, but I've had issues with file corruption, and have thus been wary of accessing those files remotely. Plus, once you really get going with a project, the .scriv files are so large and unwieldy that it's just about impossible to work with them online. I seriously can't wait until Scrivener comes out with an iOS app.

Scrivener FTW!

There are a bunch of Youtube videos for Scrivener to show you how to do individual things, making better use of the tools it provides. I too mostly just use it as a filing system for all my story parts, and don't use many of the advanced features.

I only do my writing on one laptop, so I don't have issues synching files from one place to another. I have a separate laptop for work but I don't keep or do any personal stuff on it.

Aside from that I think the only specialized tool I use is Story Dice, for when I have an idea that's just missing a little something. Often it'll give me the hint of something that helps my brain come up with what I need. For those unfamiliar, Story Dice is a set of dice with fairly basic pictures on them. You grab a few random ones, roll them, and see what the pictures tell you. If you don't like it, try again. Available as physical dice (Rory's Story Cubes) or as an app (Again, as Rory's Story Cubes or a free alternative called Story Dice).

Scrivener FTW!

There are a bunch of Youtube videos for Scrivener to show you how to do individual things, making better use of the tools it provides. I too mostly just use it as a filing system for all my story parts, and don't use many of the advanced features.

I'll check out the YouTube vids. Being an artist, I'm more visual, so I'll probably learn better that way. Thanks for the tip!

I only do my writing on one laptop, so I don't have issues synching files from one place to another. I have a separate laptop for work but I don't keep or do any personal stuff on it.

I write on breaks, when sitting in traffic, pretty much anytime I can get access to an internet connection or smart device. My personal laptop is a MacBook, but at work they force me to use Windoze (boo!!! hiss!!!). I don't keep personal stuff on the Dell, but I do access docs on break. 

For those unfamiliar, Story Dice is a set of dice with fairly basic pictures on them. You grab a few random ones, roll them, and see what the pictures tell you. If you don't like it, try again. Available as physical dice (Rory's Story Cubes) or as an app (Again, as Rory's Story Cubes or a free alternative called Story Dice).

This sounds pretty darn awesome, and I'm going to check it out ASAP! Thanks much!

I use Dropbox for everything, but in terms of specialized tools, I just use Word.  I tried Scrivener, and actually made it through the entire tutorial, but I think I actually too organized to use it--it just annoys me.

However, I have heard of other sync problems with Scrivener and dropbox, so be wary and back up a lot if you are using those two together.

I know this isn't for everyone, but for larger projects I usually have:

--An "outline" Word document with research, outline, character bios, etc. 

--A "text" Word document with prose and the latest bit of outline that I'm working to.   I use the navigation pane and note key sections with headings to get around quickly.

--An Excel file, if I need to for calculation of dates, or a timeline, or a table, or something not well suited to Word.

I know this isn't for everyone, but for larger projects I usually have:

I do something similar between docs and Scrivener. I have:

• A "Randomosity" file for stream of consciousness, brainstorming, and inspirational stuff (photos, lyrics, quotes, links).
  • A working outline file
  • Character bio files
  • And a "Ctrl+V" file for the stuff I end up trimming from one scene/chapter, but feel I can incorporate elsewhere

I have some Excel worksheets for outlining and timelines, but don't use them often because I just don't "get" Excel. I mean, I get it, I know that if I took some courses or watched some videos on it I could be an expert-level user, but it's just so dry and technical, and there are so many buttons and menus, and I've adamantly refused to use it for so long because I'm not a secretary, darn it, that I've never quite gotten the hang of using it. Plus, it's not pretty. We artists like things to be pretty. :P

Available as physical dice (Rory's Story Cubes) or as an app (Again, as Rory's Story Cubes or a free alternative called Story Dice).

By the way, I checked out both apps, and ended up getting Rory's Story Cubes. I LOVE THIS APP, MAN! I even purchased the expansion packs after playing with it a bit. Too much fun. That will definitely come in handy. Thanks so much for bringing the story cubes to my attention!

I've had trouble going entirely digital, myself, which is probably why I haven't bothered learning to use Scrivener to its full potential. To this day I'm slightly obsessed with spiral bound notebooks and moleskines and fancy ink pens, and have the collection to prove it. I have all of my writing notebooks from when I was a kid, too, which is always hilarious to go through. They say you use a different part of your brain when you write things out longhand, and I kind of believe it. I only wish I'd printed out all of my Word, WordPerfect, and ClarisWorks documents before my collection of floppy disks died. Those words are forever lost (probably a good thing, considering).

Glad you liked the app! It's helped me break through a few rough patches.

I do all my writing and outlining on computer, through I do have some writing exercises I prefer to do longhand. My writing problems are largely time-based - I'm a slow writer and I din't have as much time to set aside for it as I'd like, so I write on computer to optimize my speed. I do think my longhand is better, but then I'd have to take the time to transcribe everything, and I'd probably just quit.

--An "outline" Word document

--A "text" Word document

--An Excel file

Seriously dude, we were separated at birth. No, wait, it's just the engineers' hive mind at work...

Yeah, I have [a] my outline Word doc with all info; my Novel - a single Word file; and [c] an Excel sheet that I try to make as complicated as possible because I'm an enginer.

As for injections of randomosity, pah to this new-fangled stuff, dice of finest plastic and a D&D encounter table.

Edited by Robinski